Cameras

General discussion

New camera - Night shots with moving objects

by loizos13 / September 9, 2010 12:51 AM PDT

I am gonna buy a new digital camera. I used a canon so far but i am not really happy with the night shots, especially with moving objects. My budget is around $300 and i am looking for 10mp and optical zoom of at least 4x. Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New camera - Night shots with moving objects
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New camera - Night shots with moving objects
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Low Light Camera
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 9, 2010 7:10 AM PDT

No one has been able to build the camera you want.

Plan on spending well over $1,000 for such a camera.

You should think about using a camcorder for any action shots in low light.
The smearing will still be there but will be less noticeable to the eye with video.

Collapse -
re: New camera - Night shots with moving objects
by MarkatNite / September 9, 2010 11:18 AM PDT

snapshot2 is right (above). But a couple of options that are kinda sorta close: Canon S95 and Pany LX5. The catches would be: only 3.8X zoom, only fast/bright (f2.0) on the wide end (fully zoomed out), and over your budget ($400 for S95, $500 for LX5).

Mark

Collapse -
bright lens on compacts
by hjfok / September 9, 2010 12:12 PM PDT

The f/2 lens on a compact with small sensor is more or less like a f/11 on a D-SLR. So the Canon S95 and Panasonic LX5 are not likely going to be adequate for indoor/night low light actions without flash. Agree with snapshot2, you are going to need something over $1000 to get decent photos freezing low light actions.

Collapse -
re: bright lens on compacts
by MarkatNite / September 9, 2010 6:10 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks
by loizos13 / September 11, 2010 11:24 PM PDT

I have finally turned to Canon S90 / Sony HX5V / Sony WX 5 despite the fact that they are over original budget. It seems that HX5V has good results in low light conditions. Thank you.

Collapse -
sony nightshot
by Winkybok / October 14, 2010 1:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

I ama paranormal investigator and I use an older model sony camcorder that has the nightshot feature( sony has decided to discontinue this feature)To get better range I use an external infra red illuminator. I get beautiful video in complete darkness. Of course I am not a photographer and don't have the same needs as some of you.I also am now looking for a sony digital camera that has nightshot. Does anyone know of any older models I could look into. I need something that I can use quickly I dont have time when evidence presents itself to mess with manual settings and low shutter speeds. I am wondering if i will have the same luck with a digital camera as long as I use the ext. light. I know digital technology captures some of the infrared and ultraviolet spectrum. I figure I will start my research here and see if any one can point me in the right direction. Thanks any input would be greatly appreciated. I want an older sony model if anyone can help. Thanks Paige

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.