Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

New built PC crashing, high CPU with crash log.

by jessem166 / October 29, 2013 3:45 PM PDT

Hey guys, I could really use some help and I hope I am asking in the right area. :??:
But I got a new pc, me and a buddy put it together, my main uses for it were gaming, video editing and music production.
Needless to say, it has not met my expectations and I am not sure why, I'm so disappointed cause I downed a ton of money into finally getting the computer I wanted. When I first started using it the first thing I noticed was what I like to call crackling in my headphones when stuff is loading.
I used Camtasia and sony vegas and they were soo laggy, glitching and stuttering. Same with using FL studio. Audio kept crackling and it had problems processing all instruments in my project.
Now to make matters worse I am experiencing blue screens. It seems to be running at lower standards then my laptop which is way below these standards.

Here is what my PC consists of.

*CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

*EVGA w/ ACX Cooling 02G-P4-2773-KR GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

*Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770

*SAMSUNG DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA Model SH-224DB/BEBE - OEM

*Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

*MSI Z87 MPOWER Max LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Extreme OC Flagship High Performance Triple CFX/ SLI Platform Intel Motherboard

*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL10D-16GBXL

*SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Of course I use the solid state for windows itself and like to try put the rest onto other drive.

Right now typing this I'm at 0% CPU Usage, 13% physical memory with 73 processes running but it jumps to 100% cpu nearly in a hurry with sony vegas and other programs. Even when I end out of programs I am not using.

I also changed my power settings to High. Didn't help.

AAARRR!!

jessem166 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New built PC crashing, high CPU with crash log.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New built PC crashing, high CPU with crash log.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by jessem166

Collapse -
I think I found a major problem
by jessem166 / November 3, 2013 10:56 PM PST

Hey guys,

just a quick update I need your take on

I think I found a MAJOR problem why my PC is running like crap. I want your guys's take on it. I think my CPU is overheating, actually I am pretty sure it is. Which would explain why my applications, games, and everything runs sooo sluggish and could explain some crashes especially when I am running heavy loads such as sony vegas, gameplay and Audio Production. I downloaded the MSI command center, along side of the HW Monitor I used previously my CPU temps were running around 200 degree's!!! or around 98 Celsius.

I hope my processor isn't fried, but one of my CPU fans shows 0 RPMS (stupid rookie Cry ). I have to open up the case and make sure it is plugged in right, cause obviously it isn't. So I hope I can get that fan plugged in, maybe check the thermal paste and make sure all is well and I will be on my marry way to getting my computer running the way I want it to..

what do you guys think?

Collapse -
That's one hot tamale.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2013 12:06 AM PST

What is this "check the thermal paste" question? As a PC tech you leaned long ago that checking the paste often leaves air voids so you always wipe it off (does not have to be spotless!), apply fresh and button it up.
Bob

Collapse -
Agree....that's way too high and you should have checked it
by VAPCMD / November 4, 2013 8:57 AM PST

the CPU temps and the fans way earlier.

Just because a fan shows ZERO RPMs doesn't mean it isn't working perfectly. The proof is in visual validation.

Could be an expensive experience.....are you using the stock HS FAN ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
An update, think I found the problem
by jessem166 / November 7, 2013 12:11 PM PST

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the help, you guys are awesome! I appreciate everybody who has helped me out with this issue.
Yes I am using the stock Fan and Heatsink for the processor.
So I went to my buddies house, his computer is the same exact build as mine, exactly! with the exception of the windows and SSD. Nothing more.

His temps were much, much cooler than mine by a long shot. So we came to the conclusion that something must be either defective or installed wrong.
So the first thing I became aware of upon opening it up, is there is no second CPU fan. There is one CPU fan and it is plugged into CPU Fan 2 slot, so my hardware monitor shows RPMS for fan 2, but non for fan 1 as there isn't one. There's just one fan for the CPU. I also closely inspected the hardware in and around the processor to make sure nothing was damaged from the high temperatures. Didn't see any burns, spots, cracks or anything. Also no dust. Still looks brand new.

So we rechecked the attachments inside the case and everything appeared to be wired correctly. We fired my computer back up and my temps were cool, but quickly reached the 200 degree's range after it ran for awhile and running some applications.
We opened it back up, and noticed the CPU Fan didn't seem to be seated properly. It sits weird and the plugs to secure it kept popping out or we couldn't keep them all in.
Once we managed to get the CPU seated properly, we fired my computer back up and the temps are running much, much cooler.

Batman Arkham origins previously ran like crap and ran me into the 90C/200F range for temps.. I also got the same temps while idiling and doing nothing. With terrible audio distortion.
But now, currently typing this, my computer is sitting at a much cooler, around 34C/93F. I also Ran Batman Arkham origins again, at full settings and it got the temp up to about 51C/125F.. Better then the 200's range. So, I'm pretty sure it was due to the heatsink and fan not being seated properly on the Processor.

His computer does run a few degree's cooler then mine, around the 28C-30C range when idiling. But, things seem to be going smoother thus far.

Are these temps more normal? I think eventually here I may still want to invest in an aftermarket Fan and HS. Just to try keep the temps down.

Again, I thank you guys so much!

Collapse -
Good to hear ....sounds like you're back on track
by VAPCMD / November 8, 2013 8:45 AM PST

Decent temps at idle but all things considered ....I'd want a decent aftermarket cooler, Xigmatek, CoolerMaster, etc., for a system like yours...you got a lotta dough invested there....check the aftermarket units out over at FrostyTech.com. You've got a nice system with good stuff....the cooler you keep the CPU chip...the more stable and reliable it will be. You really want the lower temps at full throttle....idle temps look good but they're not what you should be worried about. Take some readings at full throttle while running something like Prime95.

Questions....this is the place to ask.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Thanks
by jessem166 / November 9, 2013 3:01 AM PST

Well, some more good news is that before when I would render in Sony Vegas. My PC would blue screen. It has not. The gameplay, video editing and every other program that taxes the CPU runs so smoothly I am just elated. I've never had a computer where you could render a video in Vegas while multitasking other stuff at the same time, that is beastly. I'm freaking happy. I didn't try Prime95 yet but tried multiple other things to try stress the temps and CPU a bit.

While Rendering in Vegas I couldn't get the temps past a 60C/140F-66C/151F Celsius. It amazes me how important that fan and heat sink made such a hhhuuugggee difference when it was seated and secured properly Grin
As for a new AfterMarket unit I can't imagine those things are universal to motherboards? lol. Any suggestions for a specific unit?

Thanks again!!

Collapse -
Aftermarket heatsink fans are designed for CPU sockets
by VAPCMD / November 9, 2013 9:18 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

not motherboards per se. And the better ones usually come with mounting hardware for different CPU sockets ...775, 1150, 1155, etc. They also mount securely ....not like the Intel Heatsinks that 'snap in'.

So I'd head over to FrostyTech at the link below and see which aftermarket unit best meets your requirement in terms of cooling and noise. After you pick a couple you like head over to Newegg.com and check the prices and the buyer comments.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2654&page=5

You can spend a lot or get something less exotic that does a decent job and costs $30-$40. Here's a link to some HS Fans over at Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/CPU-Fans-Heatsinks/SubCategory/ID-574?Order=RATING&Pagesize=100

Let us know how it works out.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Okay
by jessem166 / November 9, 2013 11:51 AM PST

Thanks. I appreciate the help! you are awesome.

I also ran Prime95 for a few hours.. The highest I caught my temps at was 155F .. But luckily my fans kicked in higher gear and knocked it back down to about 138. But, yeah.. I'm surely going to get an aftermarket cooler. I'll check them out and get back to you.

I'm so thankful for everybodies help.

Collapse -
Answer
OH and here is my crash logs
by jessem166 / October 29, 2013 3:46 PM PDT

Both these logs are pulled from the minidump, just happened tonight. My first blue screens on my new computer Sad

==================================================
Dump File : 102913-13915-01.dmp
Crash Time : 10/29/2013 11:56:53 PM
Bug Check String : DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code : 0x000000d1
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 2 : 00000000`00000002
Parameter 3 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4 : fffff880`04bb5403
Caused By Driver : e22w7x64.sys
Caused By Address : e22w7x64.sys+8403
File Description : Killer e2200 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Product Name : Killer e2200 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Company : Qualcomm Atheros, Inc.
File Version : 8.0.2.40 built by: WinDDK
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+75bc0
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\102913-13915-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 297,064
Dump File Time : 10/29/2013 11:57:46 PM

Dump File : 102913-42759-01.dmp
Crash Time : 10/29/2013 10:50:48 PM
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0x00000124
Parameter 2 : fffffa80`0d419028
Parameter 3 : 00000000`ba000000
Parameter 4 : 00000000`81000402
Caused By Driver : hal.dll
Caused By Address : hal.dll+12a3b
File Description : Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7601.17514 (win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850)
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\102913-42759-01.dmp
Dump File Size : 292,888
Dump File Time : 10/29/2013 10:54:27 PM

Collapse -
Your hal.dll+12a3b error ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 30, 2013 10:45 AM PDT

is often seen as a result of hardware problems such as bad RAM but also it is often seen on overclocked systems.

If you have overclocked cpu or gpu or both take them back to default clocks and voltages.

It can also be caused by the system not configuring the Max Payload Size value correctly after after you hot plug a PCI (Peripheral Component Interconnect) device when the operating system triggers a Machine Check Architecture (MCA) exception, and the operating system returns a "0x00000124" exception. Disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc...) EXCEPT your mouse and the keyboard and then boot up the machine. If this corrects the issue then add the devices back one at a time until you discover the piece of hardware causing the issue and get any updated drivers\software for the device.

Check your RAM via this link:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Diagnosing-memory-problems-on-your-computer

and also PassMark MemTest86 - Memory Diagnostic Tool

Collapse -
Thanks
by jessem166 / October 31, 2013 9:24 AM PDT

RAM check came back with no problems..

As for overclocking, I know my computer has the capability but to be honest I haven't really got the slightest idea how to do it even if I wanted to lol.
When I get the chance I'll disconnect everything and give it a try to see if I can figure anything out from that.

Collapse -
Answer
From the logs
by Jimmy Greystone / October 29, 2013 11:18 PM PDT

From the logs it looks at a casual glance like a driver issue with the network card integrated into the motherboard. You can try updating the driver, see if that helps, but it wouldn't surprise me if just by luck of the draw, you got a semi-defective motherboard. But we also don't know how skilled your friend is at building computer, such as does he know to install all the necessary drivers post-Windows install? A surprising number of people don't. An even larger number of people don't seem to have made the connection between drivers coming from Microsoft's Windows Update and the sudden onset of issues related to whatever device had the driver updated for it.

It doesn't seem out of the ordinary that high end graphics programs would consume a lot of CPU time. You don't have a workstation class card in your system, so the amount of GPU offloading is probably less than is possible otherwise. The number of processes and memory used stats are also kind of useless. There are always exceptions to the rule, but generally the rule is "Free RAM is wasted RAM". It's like having a room on a house that just sits empty, meanwhile the rest of the house is cluttered up with junk. What good is that room doing you? The number of processes doesn't mean much of anything without some additional context like process names. But for the most part people see some large number of processes and think that must be the reason their computer is so slow when all they're really doing is making a connection between two completely unrelated things. If they had a basic understanding of how preemptive multitasking worked, they wouldn't be so concerned by the number of processes.

Also, just FYI, on a desktop the power settings generally have no effect.

Collapse -
Thanks for the response.
by jessem166 / October 30, 2013 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: From the logs

I had a belief this is a driver issue for the blue screens. I got another crash log while rendering in sony vegas. CPU kept jumping from 60%-98% before blue screening.
No beeps.
But this log looks similar to one of the last ones.

Dump File : 102913-42759-01.dmp
Crash Time : 10/29/2013 10:50:48 PM
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0x00000124
Parameter 2 : fffffa80`0d419028
Parameter 3 : 00000000`ba000000
Parameter 4 : 00000000`81000402
Caused By Driver : hal.dll
Caused By Address : hal.dll+12a3b
File Description : Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7601.17514 (win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850)
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\102913-42759-01.dmp
Dump File Size : 292,888
Dump File Time : 10/29/2013 10:54:27 PM

I also got a trial software to check my drivers on my computer, called Driver Toolkit.
It states I have 2 missing drivers and 17 out of date drivers. But apparently my Ethernet controller is up to date.
I also had a problem a couple days ago where I was connected to my internet, light was on for my ethernet when it was plugged in. Showed I had a connection but nothing would connect. Couldn't connect to anything.

I'm also curious, a workstation class card? I'm not all that good when it comes to this type of stuff, but I'm assuming I different card could give me better CPU usage inside applications? Is there something I could look at to get me better CPU usage inside of programs like Music editing in FL studio and Rendering in sony vegas?

Thanks for the help!

Collapse -
Stay away
by Jimmy Greystone / October 30, 2013 10:17 AM PDT

Stay away from any program that claims to find updated drivers. Those are just as bad as accepting drivers off of Windows Update. Part of the burden that comes with a home built system is you get to be intimately familiar with the hardware so you can locate all the necessary drivers on your own. Relying on any kind of third party program is a great way to find yourself right back where you are now.

Collapse -
okay
by jessem166 / October 30, 2013 11:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Stay away

I'll try hunt around to find the drivers... So I'm assuming the drivers I'm trying to locate would come from the manufactures websites themselves and the discs?
God I hope that solves my problems. lol.
That would be great..

Collapse -
Answer
Interesting crash.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2013 2:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks for the help
by jessem166 / October 30, 2013 9:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Interesting crash.

Yea, I did a bit of research and looked up the error logs on the crashes. I noticed a lot of people were having issues with this. I'm going to be busy with work for awhile until next Wednesday then I will try it and see what happens. I appreciate the help!

Collapse -
Answer
Seems like a driver issue
by RobertOgre / October 30, 2013 11:30 PM PDT

This is setting off bells for me.
I have a pal who built his very first computer, he got everything in right but he forgot to update the drivers Plain . (However, He remembered to install all the latest windows updates but forgot to update the drivers for the hardware his computer is running on.) Needless to say once it was said and done and he got things sorted out, it solved the majority of his problems.
Upon inspecting these dump logs, it seems a bit obvious for me that this is a driver issue. Or a piece of bad hardware.
Try updating your drivers or removing drivers.
Also, do you have an antivirus software? Find something to check for malware, trojans, rootkits, rogues, dialers, spyware and all that fun stuff. The most important thing with a blue screen is to try figure out what the most recent things you changed before you started experiencing the problem. You say it happens while rendering in sony vegas? One thing I would check for is make sure your CPU is not overheating while rendering. This could force your computer to restart and revert to BSOD to avoid damage. Find a safe reliable software, to give you this information, otherwise after your computer crashes check your bios screen for the Temp and post it back here.

I hate to keep rambling. But, you mentioned crackling in the headphones. This also points towards a driver issue, or a faulty motherboard or bad jacks. Try other jacks if you have any and see if you still experience the issue. Or go control panel > sound properties play with the settings for the type of output, try stereo, 5.1, 5.0, etc. See if this helps.

One last closing statement, I would argue the fact that I don't think you need a workstation class card to use Vegas, Fl studio or Camtasia. While these can be demanding on the CPU, your specs should suffice and make them usable, at least to the point that they are workable. A workstation class card would be more needed if you plan to do 3D animation and modeling through a program like 3D max with a very high polygon count. If your not doing 3D rendering I wouldn't worry about a workstation class card. Your specs should still work for what you are trying to do.
Update your drivers, test your RAM, check your temps and if you are overclocking. Revert to normal settings and then try.
I hope I helped mate.

Collapse -
thanks!
by jessem166 / October 30, 2013 11:55 PM PDT

I got Norton 360. Didn't catch anything suspicious or anything at all. I'll play with my audio settings and see if that helps with the crackling. I'm not sure of any programs to get to check my temps. I'm scared to download something unreliable with all the problems I've had already so maybe if you guys could recommend something?

Thanks again for all the help guys. I'll try these things out as soon as I can get a chance, probably Wednesday and I'll be back to let you guys know. I appreciate the help!

Collapse -
Thanks Pal!
by jessem166 / November 7, 2013 12:14 PM PST

You were right about one thing, my temps were way to high. I appreciate your response and probably would not have thought to check the temps without you asking me to download some software to check it.

After some inspection we realized that the Fan and HS were not seated properly. My computer now runs around 110 degrees cooler lol. Also, since we have fixed this issue I have not noticed any audio crackling or distortion.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Answer
Hey guys, update
by jessem166 / November 2, 2013 11:45 AM PDT

So look guys, I've spent some of the extra time I have today to try update drivers. For some odd reason the bios drivers from MSI will not extract from the Zip File. Not sure why this is.
At that point I used my discs, which did seem to do a lot of stuff. However it did give me one error. Not sure why I got this but it was a long threat that started with

C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\ASM106xSATA\Driver' Not Found.

After going through my discs and trying to get as many drivers as I could from MSI and EVGA I got frustrated after restarting cause programs still run like crap. As a matter of fact I tried to play Batman Arkham Origins I got it for free with my graphics card.
Ran terrible. Audio crackling, terribly glitching, lagging and unplayable. So at that point I got HWMonitor. I got some images of what things were looking like. I hope some of these temps aren't right cause my core temps seem high

http://www.flickr.com/photos/107459023@N02/

Not to mention, there is nothing to tax on anything at the moment.
Are these temps high or am I wrong?

Collapse -
I'm now assuming these are okay temsp
by jessem166 / November 2, 2013 11:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Hey guys, update

Or are these basically standard temps.. Considering they fall between the min and max.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.