Samsung forum

General discussion

New Blu-Ray with Wireless Router... Help!

by LeviSnell / November 20, 2010 7:52 AM PST

I am buying the Samsung BD-C6500 Blu-Ray Player, and the Samsung 32" 550 Series LCD TV; I want to connect it to my home computer, and the internet via wireless connection. What router do I need? I was looking at the Cisco E3000, but was wondering if I needed that much wireless power. I am looking to stream Video and Music from my computer to my Blu-Ray player. I could use your help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Blu-Ray with Wireless Router... Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Blu-Ray with Wireless Router... Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
adding your BD-C6500 to network
by snafu169 / November 21, 2010 9:01 AM PST

I just bought the 6500, my Wireless router is a Dlink DIR-615. It takes a while to set up the PLayer with the network, you might get lucky, but what I tell you will hopefully speed things up.

since you don't have a router yet, the thing to keep in mind is you need to setup security, or your neighbours (teen agers with ipods laptops etc) will be able to connect to your wireless... so be sure to setup security ( eg WPA-2) you will see this on any wireless router.

anyways assuming you have the wireless setup... when you go through the setup process add the Player using the PIN you type this number into your router login page this is the fastest way to connect it... don't try with the encryption key.

Once you are connected you need to go to your PC and download the PC Share manager and install it.. it is a basic program that you use to add the folders that contain, Music, Images or video....note that if you have a large library it can take an hour for the program to index all the files... I recommend starting with folders that are not to large.

once the PC manager is done click on the menu named "server" and check off to have it start when windows starts.... just to make sure it is always ready.

now on the player when you try to select the media it will likely tell you you nothing is setup, but you have to press the RED A and select the "PC Share Manger" and once you do that you should be able to get everything.... I just haven't figured out the video yet.

just post back any questions oyu have and I should be able to help.

Ziggy

Collapse -
make sure to set policy
by snafu169 / November 21, 2010 9:54 AM PST

forgot to mention, on the PC Share manager click the "SHARE" menu you have to set the device policy...you should see your Player here... but you would have had to makesure you have the network connected before trying all these things.

Collapse -
Due in Tuesday...
by LeviSnell / November 21, 2010 12:02 PM PST

I ordered the Linksys E3000 Router, that has Simultaneous Dual Band, so the Blu Ray can have the dedicated 5 Ghz band, while still allowing other wireless devices to run on the crowded (relatively) 2.4 Ghz band. Not entirely sure I understand all of that, but I am very much looking forward to attempting to get it connected. I really appreciate the reply, and the explaining that you did! That helps... I also live out in the sticks, or a rural area, so I should not hafta worry about wifi stealers! Like I said, thanks!! I will try to post how it all turns out once I attempt all this.

Much Appreciated, and Sincerely, Levi.

Collapse -
pc share manager
by snafu169 / November 21, 2010 12:19 PM PST
In reply to: Due in Tuesday...

good luck, oh ya and if you have trouble finding the link for the Pc share manager, it is actually eay to find (I was searching for it and could not find it right away), just go to Samsung site, call up your player and click on the "Support Tab" ( for the player)... there is also a firmware update, that I haven't done yet.

I am mainly interested in the media sharing part, the Internet TV hasn't wowed me... be nice if there was a keyboard option and a web browser...

Collapse -
Very Hard To Find
by LeviSnell / November 21, 2010 9:06 PM PST
In reply to: pc share manager

Yea, I found that PC Share Manager was HARD to find. Until I went to the support for the player and found it in there. Like you said... I will get the whole setup tomorrow, and I am looking forward to getting it set up.

Collapse -
Firmware updated
by snafu169 / November 25, 2010 11:45 AM PST
In reply to: Very Hard To Find

I downloaded the firmware and copied to a flash drive, just follow the instructions in the PDf and it takes about 5 ( no more than 10) minutes to upgrade. I didn't notice anything different other than NETFLIX shows up in the apps ( don't recall seeing it before).

Hey let me know if you get the anny of the account app logins to work, I can't get facebook, Picassa logins to work, even though in my app manager I have set the logins and it says "Connected" ( well disconnect option is visible).

Collapse -
Netflix worked before update... not now.
by hadnetflixworking / November 26, 2010 1:17 AM PST
In reply to: Firmware updated

So, two days ago I was able to use netflix and pandora easily via my Samsung BRP with linkstick. Then I was told there was an update to the BRP. Did it, and now neither netflix and pandora work. When opened they say the internet is not connected, yet the network settings on the BRP show that it is connected. Is there something that could be blocking the ports?

Collapse -
try redoing your networo setup
by snafu169 / November 26, 2010 11:34 AM PST

did you go through the network setup, even to redo it to make sure you are getting connected?

also look in App manager to see if settings are there, but like I said I have trouble getting logged into my apps, but my internet works because i can get Youtube to work.

Collapse -
No Problems Mostly
by LeviSnell / November 27, 2010 12:06 PM PST

Well, on the second try, my wireless network was connected to from my BD-C6500. No trouble at all. Facebook does not connect, tho. Netflix, Pandora, Picasa, Vudu, all work with no problem. Have been disconnected, then reconnected it with no problem... I was worried, especially with all the horror stories. But, no problem, amazingly! The firmware update worked, with no hiccups at all.

Collapse -
Facebook login solution
by snafu169 / November 28, 2010 1:58 AM PST
In reply to: No Problems Mostly

I found the trick for logging in.

So once you set up all the accounts in the app manager, you go to the Internet tv. Now the idea here is that before you click on anything (that requires login). . You need to login.... So look at the bottom of the screen, there is a red A that says "login"... So here you will get prompted for the 4 character password from your appmanager, an it also let's you switch to another user....once you do that you will see your login name at the bottom left.....now you can login... Seems so simple now ... It's not a computer like functionality but makes sense once you understand the flow....the facebook app is pretty useless, then need to improve on the functionality.

Other thing, the firmware update now let's me see video from my library, but it keeps freezing before it plays.

Collapse -
Vudu
by snafu169 / November 28, 2010 4:21 AM PST
In reply to: No Problems Mostly

I feel cheated, I can't get Pandora becuz I'm in Canada ( a licensing thing), and Vudu is not available to download ( might be for same reasons?). I can get Netflix thoug so I'll give that a whirl for a month.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.