Laptops forum

General discussion

new battery, plugged in but not charging

by kbaby357 / September 9, 2010 9:38 AM PDT

I'm curren running Windows 7 on my Dell Inspiron 1525. For the longest time, I had my original Dell 6-cell battery which completely stopped working. I finally got a replacement battery, went to charge it (left it plugged in, computer NOT on for over 12 hours) and when I went to turn my computer on, it read "40% available (plugged in, not charging)".

I went forum searching, tried all of the old recommended Vista fixes since so many people had the same problem (such as the unplug-turn off-remove battery-plug back in-blah blah blah fix, a BIOS update, and an uninstall/reinstall of the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery). Does anyone have any additional advice on how I can fix this? This is a BRAND NEW battery and should be charging. Also, there is nothing wrong with my AC adapter or charger considering I went over a year without a battery on the same PC/charger.

And please, no suggestions to call Microsoft/Dell/some kind of tech support. The whole point of a forum is so I DON'T have to call anyone and sit on the phone for 2 hours.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new battery, plugged in but not charging
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new battery, plugged in but not charging
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2010 1:04 PM PDT

Is it a Dell battery?

Collapse -
nope.
by kbaby357 / September 12, 2010 3:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Just one thing.

no, it's a non-Dell brand battery, for the sole purpose of not paying and arm and a leg and an ear for different letters imprinted on the outside of the same damn thing. i don't completely understand what difference there is if it's the exact same type of battery, only not a Dell brand one.

Collapse -
Then it is likely the usual issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2010 10:59 PM PDT
In reply to: nope.

Most makers today had to limit battery replacements to what they authorize due to liability issues. Since it's not a Dell battery you need to take this up with the supplier.
Bob

Collapse -
old battery but not charging
by scorpabhitheone / October 31, 2010 12:14 AM PDT

In actual.if your pc gets old your battery also get old the battery life is approximately 2and a half year.
2.also try to cheak your socket properly.It can be possible that the current efficient is low
3.bring a new battery and cheak out....

Collapse -
How did you get 2 and 1/2 year? I get less.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2010 1:39 AM PDT

Here's why. Your average battery is a 300 cycle unit. Students use the laptop daily and charge daily. In one year we are well past the 300 cycles and I see 1/2 or less hours on that battery at 18 months.

Bob

Collapse -
is your machine hot when this happens?
by Spartif / December 8, 2010 11:28 PM PST

every time ive had this problem the laptop was very hot on the bottom, maybe it has a temperature related cut off to the charging to avoid the fire issues (more voltage if the heat is from the battery failing to charge rather than a blocked vent or running too long at high performance could cause a fire.) i dont KNOW this is the answer but it seems like the most likely issue to me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.