Laptops forum

General discussion

New Battery for Satellite A135-S4467

by Gerardo_U / September 1, 2010 6:01 AM PDT

I'm looking to replace my old Toshiba battery. Toshiba tells me that I can replace it with either a 6(PA3465U-1BRS) or 8(PA3457U-1BRS) cell battery, so I did some searching online to find the best deal. Turns out that using the part number was not as helpful as I thought, as ether number will yield results that are 'compatible' with a135's, but they range in specs quite a bit. There are batteries with up to 12 cells available, but I'm hesitant as they are not listed as compatible by Toshiba. So my question is, how safe or compatible are these batteries? And, what's the importance of their capacities? The 6-cell toshiba satellite is 10.8v while the 8-cell is 14.4v. And their 3rd party counterparts are a combination of these as well.
Thanks for any advice on this.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Battery for Satellite A135-S4467
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Battery for Satellite A135-S4467
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
forgot to ask...
by Gerardo_U / September 1, 2010 6:04 AM PDT

if anyone knows how reliable the 'green series' batteries are. The extended warranty caught my attention.

Collapse -
Let me tackle this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2010 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: forgot to ask...

In short (bad word to use about batteries!) there are two numbers I like to look at. I'll keep this fast and short.

1. Discharge cycles. The more the better. 1,000 is GREAT. 500 was average and 300 is the new stock numbers I see.

2. AmpHours. More is better. Here's why. Let's take a fictitious 200 Amp Hour battery. If I had a 400 Amp Hour battery the 400 Amp Hour battery would get me DOUBLE THE LIFE because the life is by discharge cycles. Since it's double the power I get double the hours out of the battery.

This is why we often see the more knowledgeable folk get the big battery even if it costs more. They know why but can't express why. I hope I did OK.

The downside of more Amp Hours is usually it weighs more. That's a choice we all have to make.
Bob

Collapse -
Be warned.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2010 9:28 PM PDT

My advice due to the counterfeit and other issues has me recommend the maker's batteries with one lone exception today. Those that shop for low price will get what they paid for and no bargain.

In fact with all the liability issues some makers lock out third party batteries. And no. It's not to keep you buying the maker's battery. The liability issues forced this.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks.
by Gerardo_U / September 2, 2010 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Be warned.

I see, I'm guessing these liabilities are things like overheating/burst/exploding damages and such, I hadn't really given that much thought. I'll keep to your advice on this, thanks.

Collapse -
reread
by Gerardo_U / September 2, 2010 5:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Be warned.

I was rereading your post, and not sure if I misunderstood, but is there one that stands out as being as good as the original? I guess I was just trying to see if there were other options out there since the original 6 cell battery for this model doesn't have the best reviews (mine included). But I'm out of options and need my laptop to be portable again. If not, then I guess I'll just go with Toshiba and hope for the best.
Thanks in advanced Happy

Collapse -
Why the originals rarely have good reviews.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2010 6:11 PM PDT
In reply to: reread

When we look at price sensitive laptops the smallest battery is usually what you find since the goal is price and not hours of run time. Hope this clears up why the stock battery in most laptops is not much above acceptable run times.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

Finding the best 360 camera

GoPro, Pixpro, or Ricoh?

You can spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a 360-degree camera. We tested three of them to find out what kind of quality and ease of use you can expect at each price point.