Laptops forum

General discussion

New battery and laptop still wont turn on!?

by HibsCNET / January 16, 2011 1:26 PM PST

I own a HP Compaq CQ-60 Laptop.

Recently the battery life was very short until it got to the point where It could only be unplugged for 3minutes without the laptop turning off, at this time a Battery Alert message would come up when I turn on the laptop.
So i ordered a new laptop battery, it took over a week for my new battery to arrive and in that time my laptop stopped turning on, when I tried to turn it on the 3 lights on the side would flash 3 times but no reaction otherwise from the laptop.
When the new battery arrived I just put it in and plugged in the laptop for 8 hours, then I tried to turn it on and there was no reaction, not even the 3 lights. I tried the old battery in the laptop again and that still had the 3 flashes?
So am just wondering do you know the solution to this?
Could the new battery not be working even though its brand new, or could it be I need a new adaptor as it may have been over used because of the battery not being so good lately? There has been no other problems with the laptop until this.
Hope you can reply soon as I'm really unsure what to do.
Many thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New battery and laptop still wont turn on!?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New battery and laptop still wont turn on!?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you try the generic reset?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2011 4:27 PM PST

Beware non-maker batteries since makers now lock them out due to the battery fires and the liability if they allow non-approved batteries.

But the generic reset noted in this forum's sticky is to remove battery, AC, press and hold the power button for one full minute. If you want to see if the machine is still alive, plug in just the AC and power it up.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you!
by Tryitontriton / January 5, 2012 12:13 PM PST

This worked like a charm for my HP dv4. It is evident HP wants HP batteries in its computers, not third party ones...

Collapse -
Glad it helped. However
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2012 2:27 PM PST
In reply to: Thank you!

The battery lockout was not done because of what you wrote. It happened because of what happened a few years ago. The makers had to protect themselves from lawsuits.
Bob

Collapse -
Same Problem for a GATEWAY
by theaddvocates / February 12, 2013 9:35 AM PST

Hi there,

I keep having the same problem for a Gateway laptop that I have. I just bought a new battery for my laptop and the screen only wants to come on sometimes. What the heck am I doing wrong???
Karen

Collapse -
This is a discussion about the Compaq.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2013 9:47 AM PST

But I'm guessing you have a laptop with the same CPU and such. It's a model that when it does that you swap the batteries and then the motherboard.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.