Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

New Apple TV, too good to be....

by jtknyu / October 2, 2010 12:50 PM PDT

Using 2.8 GHz iMac and boost+ cable internet with Cisco wireless router I installed the new $99 Apple TV today to my Samsung 55" LED TV. There were speed bumps with WEP security and iTunes home sharing, but it definitely works. Problem is what I call buffering. Netflix movies start up reasonably quickly but stop to load 3-4 times per hour for 1-2-3 minutes. The huge problem was Apple's movies. Robin Hood took forever to even start. The screen displayed a spinning cog and messages that said "loading in 4064 minutes"-- yes, 67 hours. This time would vary often, and displayed 250, 1138, 1790, 2406 but not in any chronologically meaningful sequence. Then the movie finally "authenticated," but ran 12 minutes before it froze again and reverted back to a 3000 minute warning. Never got to see the movie. Is it possible that home sharing lots of songs and screensaver photos consumes memory needed for movies? Tomorrow I'll try disabling all that home sharing stuff, but it is a neat feature to play my music and watch my photos "float." It does not appear that the movie downloads to iTunes/iMac but rather direct to the little black box of Apple TV. Applecare said the movies should load "instantly" and I must have met a temporary glitch.?? Anyone have similar problem or might offer more helpful suggestion?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Apple TV, too good to be....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Apple TV, too good to be....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A lot, an awful lot, depends on your internet connection
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 4, 2010 12:19 PM PDT

This also applies to your internal network speed.

Home Sharing my play a major part in slowing down the network if you are sharing music and trying to download at the same time.

Collapse -
Connection speed will determine your usablity as MrMacFixit
by sturner--2008 / October 6, 2010 6:35 AM PDT

Remember there are two nets you have to consider. The first is your cable connection. the second is the connection from your cable modem to your Apple TV. If you are trying to connect it wirelessly then you will experience slow downs. Wired gives the best results.

I recommend that you place something like a Cisco wired router that supports 10/100/1000, and run cat6 cable to your Apple TV. I've gone that route and experience no interruptions.

Collapse -
Connection Speed/Two Networks
by jtknyu / October 6, 2010 8:55 AM PDT

I realize all said and thanks. I live in standard 2800 sq.ft. split house. I subscribe to Optimum Cablevision internet and pay extra for "boost" speed and my ethernet connected computers are really reliable and blazing fast. My first attempt at wireless failed for guests' laptops and my iPad in several rooms so my IT guy cloned a second cisco router strategically located to reach those places. It worked but still not with a strong signal everywhere. So I pay ATT for 3G sitting on my own deck. What I don't get is that I'm not an atypical user and I find wireless so disappointing. Who are all the people who think it's the only way and rely on it exclusively?? Same experience in my business. We went wireless except "certain computers" had to be wired anyway which complicated life and made the whole thing sort of pointless. Nevertheless, when I turn on my iPad I get the choice of networks up and down my street. Can't log on for lack of passwords, but what kind of speed do they get? Or are reach and speed two different animals? I've already decided I have to wire the Apple TV. And when I hooked up an Airport Express for a simple pair of speakers I couldn't get those speakers farther than one room away. Maybe my house is made of lead. I made the original post thinking maybe I was doing something wrong, but thanks again for the attention and recommendations. One question though - the review here of Apple TV hardware implied Apple left room for more flash memory. If it gets filled will it help this problem??

Collapse -
Wireless speeds
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 6, 2010 9:42 AM PDT

are certainly dependent on distance.

The theoretical speed for Wireless "N" is around 150Mbps but I doubt it reaches that speed consistently, unlike a wired connection.

The other wireless problem that you may experience is that if the wireless router is receiving "B" or "G" signals at the same time as it is receiving "N" signals, it may default to the lowest common denominator.
A lot of wireless routers have that problem.

Getting a 10/100/1000 router will not help you out on the network speed as the AppleTV is only capable of 10/100. Seems a strange arrangement these days, but there it is.

Can't speak to the effect of additional flash memory.

Collapse -
Just a note
by sturner--2008 / October 8, 2010 7:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Wireless speeds

Cisco is currently marketing to the home market two routers for home use. One is the 10/100/1000 and is aimed at gaming and streaming. The other is the more modest 10/100 speed and is aimed at all others. I went with the higher speeds to enable transfer of large files within my home LAN, including ripped DVDs to the NAS hard drive that serves them. Obviously my bias influenced my recommendation.

Collapse -
1000 is nice,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 8, 2010 10:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a note

been seriously considering the move with my own LAN.

Collapse -
Final note, I think.
by jtknyu / November 16, 2010 6:19 AM PST

Since I started this thread.... After long while with AppleCare the tech said I should take AppleTV back to store. Apple Store barely listened to my explanation, they simply gave me a new one. Same result, in fact worse--no connection to internet at all. As noted above, I have two wireless routers cloned to extend range in my house. I moved the second one until it was 10 feet from the TV and it didn't work, BUT I ran an ethernet cable from that second router which has only wireless connection to modem and service is perfect and as fast as I could wish. I don't understand this, but it works and that's how I'll leave it since I didn't have to run a cable through 5 rooms.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.