Samsung

Question

New 8000 Series Samsung TV Apps/Smart Hub Don't Work

by EmilyChatelet / December 25, 2012 7:32 PM PST

I need some direction.TV is less than 2 months old.

I've updated firmware and software, yet find that when I use the remote apps often don't load, if at all.

Amazon Instant Videos loads only 2 out of 10 times when remote is pressed. Some videos do not load at all. Smart Hub app is linked to Amazon Prime account.

YouTube has never worked.

Neither has Pandora.

Very computer savvy. High-speed internet/fast connection, TV connected via ethernet cable (have tested and replaced cable to eliminate it as a possibility).

Errors happen when TV is the only draw on the connection.

Are the apps the issue?
Are the networks supporting the apps the issues
Is the remote not working well?
What can be done?

Why are things working so poorly on a $3000 TV?

Please offer some credible insight. I've spent hours with off-shore Samsung tech that provided no information whatsoever, in fact, Samsung USA was dismayed when their heard what their offshore tech was saying.

So, let's get going on getting what I paid for in my fancy television. Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New 8000 Series Samsung TV Apps/Smart Hub Don't Work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New 8000 Series Samsung TV Apps/Smart Hub Don't Work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: New 8000 Series Samsung TV Apps/Smart Hub Don't Work
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 26, 2012 4:46 AM PST

Hi EmilyChatelet,

Sorry to hear about the problems you've been having. So allow me to ask several questions:

1) You said the model is an 8000 series. Is it UN**ES8000 or UN**D8000? (Replace the double asterisk with the TV size.) If it's some other model, please let me know which one.

2) You said a very fast connection? How fast is that: 5 Mbit/s, 50 Mbit/s, etc.?

3) You said YouTube and Pandora have never worked, but Amazon Instant video works sometimes. What about the browser app?

4) Also, can you run this test and let me know where/if it fails: http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=341967&modelname=UN60ES8000F&modelcode=UN60ES8000FXZA

HD Tech

Collapse -
More details
by EmilyChatelet / December 26, 2012 6:52 AM PST

1) The TV model number is UN46ES8000. Delivery in October.

2) Ethernet cable speed (checked) is 100 Mbps. The TV is not connected wirelessly.
New modem and router.

3) Amazon Instant works intermittently, as described earlier. You-Tube has never worked,
and, reading others' comments, has never worked for many people. Pandora has never worked.

I do not use the browser on the TV.

4) The instructions to perform the test you're requesting are incomplete, I think.
I researched that I could aim the remote at the tv and press FF 2891 to get those test results. Tried that and
got nothing, several times. Would you please provide step-by-step instructions for performing the tests?

Thanks,
Emily

Collapse -
Continuing trouble with Smart Hub apps in NEW TV
by EmilyChatelet / December 26, 2012 10:42 AM PST
In reply to: More details

YouTube is not working...sometimes.

Audio keeps cutting in and out. Repeatedly. Different videos.

Collapse -
Re: More details
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 26, 2012 10:18 PM PST
In reply to: More details

Thanks Emily.

1) Thanks. That helps.

2) What's the connection speed you get with your ISP? You can test it by using a connection speed tester like speedtest.net.

3) Would you mind trying the browser app?

4) You'll need to go to Menu > Network > Network Status; it should automatically report the status of everything.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Your instructions don't work -- must be for older model TV
by EmilyChatelet / December 27, 2012 7:23 AM PST
In reply to: Re: More details

Samsung Tech,

Hi again.

OK, back to the problems:

How to test -- I'm still not getting the correct instructions from you to perform the tests you've asked.

What you've told me must be for an older, different model of Samsung TV.

First, you told me to press FF then 2891 for speed info, etc. Does nothing on my model of TV.

Then, you said to go to Menu > Network > Network Status. That gives MAC address etc. Nothing more.

Are you familiar with my model of TV and how it works?
So far, both of your instructions have led me down the wrong path.

Please provide specific instructions for my television.

2. Connection speed via ethernet is 100 Mbps.

3. Browser works fine, loads fast.

4. YouTube audio cuts out -- leaving video only.

5. Pandora has never worked. "Cannot log in. Device licensing problem."

Thanks.

Collapse -
Re: I gave accurate instructions
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 28, 2012 12:13 AM PST

Emily,

Please don't put words in my mouth. I did not tell you "to press FF then 2891 for speed info"; you said earlier, "I researched that I could aim the remote at the tv and press FF 2891 to get those test results. Tried that and got nothing, several times."

I gave you accurate instructions, and you said that gave you "MAC address, etc. Nothing more." That's precisely what I asked for. Does all the other information show up there? IP Address through DNS server?

2. That's not what I asked for. What's your connection speed to your ISP?

3. Thanks for trying that. So you can load pages like Google.com without a problem?

4 & 5 are likely related to connection speed issues. That's related to my question number 2.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Sort of...
by EmilyChatelet / December 28, 2012 9:04 PM PST

Everything checked out fine with the MAC address test and the others on that screen.

What you asked:
"What's the connection speed you get with your ISP? You can test it by using a connection speed tester like speedtest.net."

I answered: Connection speed via ethernet is 100 Mbps.

Then you said above: "That's not what I asked for. What's your connection speed to your ISP?"

Whoa. Easy now, fella. You weren't clear. The second time you added "to".

Did you mean both download and upload speed?

Download is consistent about 100 Mbps. Dunno upload. Speedtest is pretty inaccurate, just so you know, because it doesn't measure what is actually happening.

Pandora working fine now.

YouTube audios cuts out midway to 2/3-way through the video.

Still think it's a connection issue? What about network servers for the apps?

I also think the remote buttons may be an issue. Batteries new.

Emily

Collapse -
Bogus instructions confusion
by EmilyChatelet / December 28, 2012 9:09 PM PST
In reply to: Sort of...

The bogus instructions re: FF2891 came from an online Samsung support site supposedly for my TV. That was the confusion. But I have received so much bad support from Samsung -- like when phone support said I had to use a USB flash drive to update my firmware (ridiculous), and that my TV did not support Amazon Instant Videos, only the 60" Plasma did (ridiculous). A lot of people providing support for this Samsung Smart TV don't know what they're doing. That was the confusion. Sorry if you felt insulted, but you snapped right back at me.

Collapse -
Re: Sort of...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 31, 2012 2:59 AM PST
In reply to: Sort of...

Hi Emily,

Good to hear from you again, and I'm glad to hear the network check came back clear.

With the connection to your ISP, I meant the same thing in both cases, and I thought I was clear, but I'm sorry for the confusion. I figured you opened up 'Local Area Connection Status' and just quoted the speed of 100 Mbps, because that is incredibly fast for a residential connection. Speedtest can be inaccurate, but I was looking for order of magnitude. Many of our customers think that 5 Mbit/s connection is good enough to stream HD video from Netflix or YouTube, but it simply isn't the case.

It still seems like a network issue of some kind because you're having it load and then cut out. YouTube has unbelievably robust servers, so I very much doubt it's server problems.

HD Tech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.