Computer Help

General discussion

new 500gb hard drive only seen as 128gb

by skip1 / June 4, 2008 7:20 AM PDT

Hi ,
I have a samsung spinpoint 500gb hd501lj.Only shows as 128gb
How can I correct this problem of not recognising the full size hdd?
thanks
skip

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new 500gb hard drive only seen as 128gb
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new 500gb hard drive only seen as 128gb
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which Operating System Is Installed?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 4, 2008 8:57 AM PDT

Install the full XP SP1 or later and the entire drive should be recognized.. (Preferably the full XP SP2).. Since you've told us nothing about your computer, it's hard to make any further guesses till you provide us with the details.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by skip1 / June 4, 2008 6:04 PM PDT

im running xp home with sp 1 and 2 and 3 installed
when i run something like a defragmentor it shows as about 128gb only
can this be corrected
thanks
skip

Collapse -
Re: disk size
by Kees Bakker / June 4, 2008 6:20 PM PDT

Please tell all what's in the upper right window of Disk Management. It shows the partitions and unallocated space on the disk. Total should be 500 Gb.

Something like defragmentor only shows partitions, not drives. It could well be there's just a 137 Mb partition (maybe formatted FAT32?) on the drive, together with some 350 Gb unallocated (empty). That's rather easy to change.

Kees

Collapse -
by skip1 / June 4, 2008 6:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: disk size

just as you said left is 138gb partioned ntfs and right is unallocated 338gb
how can this be changed?

Collapse -
Re: partitions
by Kees Bakker / June 4, 2008 6:52 PM PDT

1. Delete the old partition.
2. Create one or more new partitions. Your choice to have 1 * 500 Gb or, say, 2 * 250 Gb or anything else.
3. Format the new partitions with the NTFS-filesystem.
4. Ready.

If you happen to plan to use this disk on a Mac also, the above isn't so good. The Mac OS can't write NTFS.

Kees

Collapse -
partitions
by skip1 / June 4, 2008 6:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: partitions

what happens to all that is stored on the 138gb partition if i remove partition and then repartition the whole drive
do i need to back all this up first and if so where to
thanks
skip

Collapse -
Re: partitions
by Kees Bakker / June 4, 2008 7:07 PM PDT
In reply to: partitions

That's a VERY good question.

The easiest way out is to leave the current partition as it is, and make a new one covering the now unallocated space. Then you end up with a 137 Gb partition and a 350 Gb partition: two drive letters on the same physical disk. That's no real problem.

Once you've done that, it needs some optimizing, because FAT32 is less reliable than NTFS:
1. Copy all files from the old to new partition (and delete them on the old).
2. Use the Windows XP program convert to change the old partition from FAT32 to NTFS. See http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.php (but use the correct drive letter!).
3. Move back what you like, depending on your plan to organize your data in 2 partitions.

And an important remark about backup. If you browse our Storage Forum, you'll find an amazing number of posts from people losing data on their external hard disk. So be sure you've got a backup of everything that's on it and that you don't want to lose. The recommended way to store all those backup gigabytes is, of course, a second external hard disk! But a BlueRay burner should work also, with 50 Gb on one disk.

Kees

Collapse -
partition
by skip1 / June 4, 2008 7:15 PM PDT

thanks Kees.
My present partitioned 138gb part of the drive is ntfs anyway so can i just partition the remaining unallocated part and leave the partitioned part alone
thanks
skip

Collapse -
partitions
by skip1 / June 4, 2008 7:18 PM PDT

do i use windows to partition or is it better to use partition magic 8
and do a copy of old partion to the new partition (ie a back up)at the same time
thanks
skip

Collapse -
Re: partition magic
by Kees Bakker / June 4, 2008 7:35 PM PDT
In reply to: partitions

To make and format a NEW partition Windows XP Disk management is fine.

To expand the current partition to the full 500 Gb you need Partition Magic or a comparable utility or Windows Vista.

Finally note that a copy of data on the same external hard disk isn't a backup at all. It's just a copy that will be lost together with the original if the drive fails.

Kees

Collapse -
See the site below for more info your issue
by VAPCMD / June 4, 2008 10:52 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.