Windows Vista forum

General discussion

New 1TB Hard drive only shows 113GB Available

by scrambled_legs / December 28, 2010 4:22 PM PST

I have a relatively modern computer with a 250GB Hard Drive in it. It was showing that it was nearly full so I bought another 1TB Hard Drive. I installed it and started transferring files over. After transferring 113GB over it also showed as full. When I right click and select properties for both the old C: drive and the new D: drive. They both show 113GB Capacity when one should show 250GB and the other 1TB. I don't believe either have any partitions on them. What is wrong and how do I fix it?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New 1TB Hard drive only shows 113GB Available
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New 1TB Hard drive only shows 113GB Available
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: 1TB drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 28, 2010 4:27 PM PST

A drive must have at least 1 partition. But it may have more.

Go into Disk Management and tell us what it says about both the old and the new drive. What partitions of what size and how many unallocated space? Also please tell your OS (Vista SP1) and the history of this 'relatively modern computer': did it come with Vista or is it an ungraded XP? tells more.

Collapse -
Missing capacity on hard drives
by scrambled_legs / December 28, 2010 4:40 PM PST
In reply to: Re: 1TB drive

Thanks Kees,

You are correct. Disk management says that C: has 113.2GB main partition and D: has 112.85GB Main partition. Unallocated space is 931.51GB.

The OS is Vista SP2 it came with Vista on it. It is an AMD athlon(tm) 64 X 2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.2 GHZ with 3 GB ram. 32 Bit operating system.

Collapse -
Re: unallocated
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 28, 2010 4:45 PM PST

Then use that same Disk Management to delete that 112.85GB partition and make a new one that uses the whole 1 TB disk. Be sure to format it NTFS if you only want to use it on a Windows PC with XP or higher.

If your c: really is 250 GB it should have unallocated space also. But I don't know if Disk Management will let you extend the current partition. Then either you could make a new one on the c: (so it will have 2 partitions = 2 drive letters) or use another partition management program.

Collapse -
determining the capacity of the hard drive volume
by scrambled_legs / December 29, 2010 12:33 AM PST
In reply to: Re: unallocated

Thanks Kees, this is a huge help. Do you need to keep some of the hard drive unallocated for programs to use on the C: drive? Or can you allocate as much as is allowed on both the C: drive with windows etc running on it and the D: drive with just data storage running on it?

Collapse -
Allocate all.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 29, 2010 12:42 AM PST

No need to keep part of the disk unused, I'd say.

Collapse -
by Edward ODaniel / December 29, 2010 2:55 AM PST

You state "Disk management says that C: has 113.2GB main partition and D: has 112.85GB Main partition. Unallocated space is 931.51GB."

Looking at that and seeing that you indicate a 250 GB drive it really LOOKS like the original 250 GB drive was partitioned into drive C: and drive D: and their sizes seem to confirm this, especially when you realize that 931.51 GB is a FULL TEREBYTE!

In Disk Management's lower pane you should see Disk 0 (showing something around 227 GB) with C: and D: partitions

Then below that you should see Disk 1 showing 931.51 GB (that number indicates that the one terebyte drive has NEVER BEEN PARTITIONED as it is a full terebyte) and the whole drive unallocated. If it is showing there as Disk 1 it has already been initialized.

Now you can create a new partition however large you want it to be (I'll suggest a single PRIMARY partition using the full amount of unallocated space). After partitioning you need to FORMAT the partition then Windows Explorer can see the drive and it is available to use.

This link might be real helpful -

Collapse -
That's all quite plausible.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 29, 2010 5:04 AM PST

It fits. The only strange thing is that the OP knew he had a 250 GB disk, and never noticed or wondered he could only use 112 GB.
He'll be glad to have not only a c: and a d:, but also an e: after making his new disk ready.

Collapse -
done and done... thanks for the help
by scrambled_legs / December 29, 2010 5:47 AM PST

Have the old drive with virtually all of the 250GB available for use and the new drive is finishing formatting with nearly 1TB worth of storage. The original drive was partitioned into two drives. I deleted the unused portion and extended the used portion to include the deleted partition. Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for telling. Glad we could help.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 29, 2010 5:50 AM PST
Collapse -
Like Kees indicates ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 30, 2010 9:37 AM PST

we are always happy to see a happy camper and you did the work, we just pointed you down the right road.

Collapse -
missing Gigs in Hard Drive
by lady_cherston / July 13, 2012 9:30 AM PDT

There is a very simple solution to this. Much simpler than other suggestions here. While these other suggestions will work for multiple drives, a single drive can also be extended. Simply go to disc manager, right click on the drive and hit extend. There are also helpful suggestions on youtube and wikianswers. I've got a 1T hard drive which only displays 127G so I'm going to extend my own hard drive. If that doesn't work, I'll try the suggestions here as well.
Thanks for the input

Collapse -
That sounds like
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 14, 2012 9:37 PM PDT

"I've got a 1T hard drive which only displays 127G"

That sounds like the old "XP (no Service Packs), doesn't recognise drives larger than 127 GB" problem

Installing SP1a or any SP after that fixed that.

And yet, you're posting into the Vista forum. No such problem like that exists with Vista.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.