TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

New 1080p LCD HDTV, Should I buy Product Service Plan?

by Tikuan / January 23, 2007 1:44 PM PST

Ok, so I'm planning on buying a Samsung 52' 1080p LCD HDTV at Futureshop. (For those of you who don't know, it's basically the Canadian version of Bestbuy) Just generally using the TV for gaming and prepare for future upgrade to either Blu-ray or HD-DVD.

So my question is, should I buy their Product Service Plan?

It is $799.99 for 4 years. IMO, I think that $799.99 is too much and 4 years is too short to protect anything. I mean if it was 5-6 years then I probably would just suck it up and buy it.

Any LCD user or 1080p LCD user have experience any problem with their TV yet? Or better yet how is Samsung's service because my last Toshiba DLP HDTV was not pretty as the lamp kept on burning out and Toshiba was not very "active" trying to help me.

Please give me any opinions/feedbacks/experiences you have, that would be very helpful, because IMO, if anything major is going to happen to our TV, say a factory defect, it should show within the 1st year, which Samsung should cover, otherwise, I don't see the TV breaking down in less than 7-10 years, but 1080p is a new technology so I need you guy's help on this difficult decision.

Link to TV:
http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/LCDTV/LNS5296DXXAA.asp

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New 1080p LCD HDTV, Should I buy Product Service Plan?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New 1080p LCD HDTV, Should I buy Product Service Plan?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your call - no absolute answer
by NM_Bill / January 23, 2007 11:20 PM PST

Extended warranties in general are a waste, being a hard sell as a high profit add on. That said, I absolutely won't get a couple of new high tech things of high risk without all the warranty I can get. These being laptop computers & rear projection TVs. Rear projection TVs have a repair rate around 4 times a much as plasma or LCD.

Beginning to see the picture? It stems from where the risk is relatively high for expensive repairs. The laptop I'm using to do this recently had a black screen fixed free in under 3 days from pickup to return - covered under warranty, 2 1/2 years after maker's basic coverage expired.

Myself, I had to get a TV suddenly nearly 4 years ago. I was naive as to tech & the market, but wound up with a DLP. No extended warranty was even offered. Well, it is a Samsung & I don't believe they were assembled well (with quality in mind.) Just after warranty - the pits - 2 back to back repairs. After that (which seems to reinforce my opinion of sloppy manufacture, when followed by proper attention when repaired) operates like a charm.

So relating to risk I feel, for instance, any decent A/V receiver is "bulletproof" so I'd never pay extra to insure it. As to plasma & LCD - no purchased warranty because I'd stick with good quality brand names.

Collapse -
RE:
by JayPSU / January 23, 2007 11:31 PM PST

I see where you're coming from, and if you were buying a CRT HDTV at this price and the service plan was that much, I'd say no way. Typically CRT's have their problems early on, AND it is a more understood technology. LCD's are relatively new technology, and things can go wrong with them at any point in time. Also, the things that can go wrong in an LCD are VERY expensive to fix. Not to mention dealing with the manufacturers can be a huge ordeal. To guarantee your tv, one THAT expensive, I'd probably think about it long and hard.

Collapse -
MR BROKEN LOOK AT YOUR PHONE BOOK FIRST
by stewart norrie / January 24, 2007 3:25 AM PST

Before I bought my big heavy 72" Toshiba I checked the phone book first to make sure there was a warrenty repair service center in my area I can sleep better at nite knowing I can have warrenty repairs done locally. I also prefer to have factory warrenty rather than store warrenty steweee

Collapse -
definitely go for it.......plus a tip
by masterying01 / January 24, 2007 2:03 PM PST

i would think (not 100% sure) that servicing tv's like this would be a lot harder in canada then it would in a major city in the usa. i might be wrong. this plan makes sure its all working new and you dont need to worry about finding someone whos willing to fix it...cause if no one is willing to fix it, they would give you ur money back for a new one.

they are able to do things on the price for you. grab the "psp brochure". see where the price for the psp drops and try to get them to sell you the tv at that price. for example: the tv is selling for $4300 and the psp for that costs $799. the price for the psp becomes $499 for tv's that are less then $3999.99.......there is nothing wrong with asking the store to drop the tv down to $3999.99 just to "close the deal". that way, you'll save yourself $600, get the 4 year, and get a great deal.

Collapse -
Thanks for the replies
by Tikuan / January 25, 2007 11:10 AM PST

"they are able to do things on the price for you. grab the "psp brochure". see where the price for the psp drops and try to get them to sell you the tv at that price. for example: the tv is selling for $4300 and the psp for that costs $799. the price for the psp becomes $499 for tv's that are less then $3999.99.......there is nothing wrong with asking the store to drop the tv down to $3999.99 just to "close the deal". that way, you'll save yourself $600, get the 4 year, and get a great deal."

Thanks for the tip but my psp plan is categorized according to the size of the TV.

We sucked it up and got the warranty, because there really isn't a lot of stores that can fix LCD/Plasma TVs and the fact that they can cost up to $250 per hour to fix it.

Collapse -
MR BROKENSHIP ABOUT YOUR OLD TOSHIBA D.L.P.
by stewart norrie / March 8, 2007 9:03 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the replies

You stated you had problems with lamp failure, I bought a 72" Toshiba 15 month ago and after 3 months lamp blew I called Toshiba and was told lamps were on recall factory defect. I was sent a much beefer lamp in 2 day now after a year its still super brite I also received an extra 1 year warrenty what did you do with your old Toshiba? steweeee

Collapse -
Ouch
by WinterLion / January 25, 2007 9:17 PM PST

You spent more than you maybe should have on that very nice tele from BestBuy.

I just bought a new Toshiba 50" Plasma with 10k contrast, dual HD tuners, surround, and every kind of connection imaginable on three different panels.

The picture is to die for and I thought it would be too big for our living room. Not at all. Looks like it was designed specifically to hang on that wall.

I paid 1899.00 plus tax from Costco for a current model. Matter of fact, the built in computer has an updatable bios and it's dated Nov. 06.

That low price is usually blamed on models not being current at Costco. But Plasma's and LCD's go too quickly for that to happen anyways.

Take it back to BestBuy, and buy two at Costco, mate.
Easier said then done,,,,,,,,,,I know. It was a hassle carting that huge box home and it barely fit in a import trucks bed, standing up.

One way or the other..........Enjoy!

Collapse -
A little Costco rant.
by instantxkarma / January 26, 2007 1:28 AM PST
In reply to: Ouch

There are a few things that should tip you off to the fact that you just got a lower quality TV than the original asker. He got a 1080p, you probably got a 720p. The 1080p quality boosts the price a bit. Also, plasmas are typically far cheaper than LCDs, especially at big sizes. A 50 inch plasma from a great manufacturer typically costs somewhere around $2000 to $2500, whereas a 52" LCD ranges somewhere between $4000 and $4500. Even at Costco, a 52" Sharp LCD (lacking many of the features of the 52" Samsung I found at Bestbuy) sold for $3700.

So by suggesting he go to Costco and buy two of the type of TV you bought, you're suggesting he buy two plasmas and subject himself to burn-in, altitude, and longevity issues? I don't think so.

By the way, Costco sells older models or lesser models that the manufacturer is trying to get rid of. How else would they have good prices? The models they DO have that are the current models are not usually sold at that deep of a discount. For example- I couldn't find the Toshiba 50" you bought at Costco anymore- but I did compare the prices on the Sharp 52" LCD I mentioned earlier. Bestbuy actually had the SAME model as Costco for less.

Think logically- most stores are selling electronics at about the same margin. Electronics don't have a lot of breathing room, margin wise (they're actually very low margin items, thus the attempt at making up the deficit with high-margin warranties). If Costco is getting the same items as the other retailers, they're paying the same price to the manufacturer. There's no way they can discount the low-margin high-purchase-cost new televisions you think they're selling. The only way to give deep discounts is to sell TVs that cost them LESS than the TVs at other retailers. Old TVs, bottom of the line TVs that look like the better TVs sold at other retailers.

Just for the record, I don't work for Bestbuy or Costco, I actually work for another US electronics retailer, but nothing peeves me more than people who think they're getting a good deal at Costco because they haven't done their research. Maybe YOU should return your TV and do some research, talk to some people who know what they're doing, and then decide if you still want that Toshiba, or a plasma.

Collapse -
Electronics.......It's not just for breakfast anymore!
by WinterLion / January 26, 2007 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: A little Costco rant.
Sad

I don't knpw whether I should be feeling hurt and alone here or whether you were motivated enough to write that "opinion", just to make us feel better about deciding against that commission sales career in electronics.

I grant you that I did miss the LCD over Plasma choice the thread starter made and yes they cost a lot more, due to the large percentage of factory displays that are imperfect by a pixel or two and can't be sold. Yes, Karma..........the bigger they get, the higher the cost. We get it!
Burn in and screen life are no longer issues that the retail consumer needs to research my friend. 10,000 viewing hours is the standard now and burn-in is only for the real tards, it takes hours and hours over many times to get that burn image now.

Do some research yourself, karma.....But check the date it was written and the viability of it's reference materials as well..........Ok, Karma?

AS to your naive idea that buying in large lots will not get you a deep discount at the wholesale level, Ha, Ha, Ha........Have you no Walmart in your town, mate? The reason Walmart is the largest business of its kind in the world is by buying large lots at low prices and selling same at a modest profit per unit. That and low wages and no benefits for it's huge workforce are just like Costco's.

Case in point: The television I replaced with this one is a Toshiba 32" Cinema Series model 95. I saw an ad at The Good Guys for this same set for 1099.00 back in 98. That was a decent price considering the fact that it was not a k-mart level Toshiba, it was the best Toshiba makes with every option they offer on such TV's. Anyways, on the way, I spotted a Video Only store and stopped by just to compare prices. The Video Only salesman sent me home with that 95 series for 700.00, because he knew I was buying NOW and cash is cash in the high volume marketplace, eh?

BTW: My Plasma features video formats of 1920 x 1080i and PC format of 1366 x 768 dpi at 70mhz.

Contrast ratio is 10,000 to 1......Yep....ten thousand to one!
Aspect ratio: 16:9
Brightness 1500 cd/m2

Dual HD tuners, Cable card interface, PIP,

HDMI, Component video, RCA, Coax, Digital audio, USB port for memory cards, photos and music as well as your standard computer VGA port and DVI.

Be glad you were only peeved by my albeit, "opinion". Better than a sharp stick in the eye, right?

May you find what you seek and truly like what you find, Karmex.

Respects...........Winter Lion
Collapse -
Depends on how much your TV would cost after 4 years
by roland827 / January 25, 2007 11:13 PM PST

I myself bought a 27 inch LCD (no name brand called Astar) for $999 2 years ago... added the Product Service Plan (PSP) and total cost with taxes came up to $14xx... 1.5 years later my TV is having one of those problems (needs to be warmed up before it really turns on) and requires fixing. Good thing I bought the PSP... however a friend of mine had some horror stories about Bestbuy's PSP, they bought an MP3 player and added the PSP, 1.2 years later it just died, so they brought it to Bestbuy, and it took them 6 mos to repair... after which when they tried to turn it on, it died again (the same day they got it), took them 2 managers, a couple of hours of going back and forth with the other managers on the phone before they got their money back (including the PSP money)... Long story short, when they sell the PSP, they claim that in the event that their is a little problem (dead pixel, or even if you are not satisfied) they say you can return the item or exchange, but in reality they will probably give you a hard time...

My TV? I'm still using it, I'm waiting for something else to break, and before my 3 year warranty is up (are you sure it's 4 years? I am under the impression that 3 years including the manufacturer's 1 year) I'll bring it for repairs... by that time my 27 inch LCD would probably cost the $3xx (same price I paid for the PSP)...

My advice? If you think your TV would still costs more than $1000 after 4 years, get the PSP... if not, you're better off skipping the PSP...

Collapse -
Should I buy Product Service Plan for HDTV?
by kart32 / January 26, 2007 1:21 AM PST

Hi Brokenhips, (Sorry about that, hope they heal soon.) You are correct in being concerned about getting a service plan for your new HDTV. We bought a 61" Samsung HDTV from Best Buy in December, and have already had a service call on it. Fortunately, it was still under the factory warranty. They replaced nearly half of the internals. Don't have a clue as to what the parts were that went bad, but the problem was that it kept tripping itself off. The cost of a four year warranty for our TV is $395.00, which I thought was pretty steep, until I read your letter. (The original cost of the TV was $2,400.) I wasn't going to get a service plan for it, but now I'm re-considering. Willard

Collapse -
PSP Plans are good and bad depending on the product
by Naxman / January 26, 2007 2:47 AM PST

I have two Samsung DLP TVs although they are only 1080i. I'd suggest you consider the cost of the warranty as a cost of doing business because as others have said, repairs on these machines are expensive. Also check to make sure that the bulb is covered under the PSP (some plans don't cover the bulb). I have a 61 inch and a 56 inch DLP. The 61 inch one had the color wheel go out after about 2 years. Circuit City sent service guy out and fixed it. I inquired about the service plan vs. straight repair cost and simply said be glad you got the warranty since this cost would have been over $400.

What bothers me about your situation is that you say the price is $799. Typically the warranties are about 10% of the purchase price (mine was). But that would mean your machine is costing you almost $8,000? Hopefully your not paying that much. Also consider checking out the website for the vendor. You might find the actual Vendor extended warranty plan cheaper than the retail chain's warranty cost if they do offer such a thing.

Good luck

Collapse -
service plan
by billpov / January 26, 2007 4:24 AM PST

When I bought my 42 inch plazma TV from circuit city they charged me $700 for an extended warrenty. However, when I logged into Hitachis web site to register the unit they offered me the same warrenty thru them for half the price. So before signing for a service plan where you bought the unit check into the manufactures extended service plans.

Collapse -
(NT) Didn't that leave you enraged at CC for their sheer gall?
by NM_Bill / January 26, 2007 6:46 AM PST
In reply to: service plan
Collapse -
I have some advice from "experts"
by DuncanL / January 26, 2007 11:24 AM PST

By and large extended waranties are a rip espcially for items under $2,000. However I know several people that have had problems with the newer TV technology and repairs are very expensive. We just bought a 54 inch DLP and got the plan but it was around $400.00.

I am in the broadcasting business and know quite a few people in the industry. All of them said the same thing as I wrote above.

Lastly, negotiate the deal. That is high.

Collapse -
but 1080p is a new technology so I need you guy's help...
by captain_gary / January 26, 2007 12:15 PM PST

1080p may be a new technology, but the electronics and the way electronics are manufactured and the extremely high QA that good manufaturer's have is reason enough that the manufacturers warranty is sufficient. That's just my opionion, but also my experience with almost every decent product I've bought.

Collapse -
Product Sevice Plan
by wizzard / January 27, 2007 7:23 AM PST

I bought a Sony LCD projection 50 inch from Future shop 4 years ago and i did purchase the extended warantee for $500.00 for 5 years. I thought it was a good idea at the time but at $799.99 I don't think I would. The TV is working fine and I am quite happy with it. No trouble yet and keeping my fingers crossed even though the warantee is good for another year.

Collapse -
Read the fine print
by drew562 / January 27, 2007 2:01 PM PST

Let me relate a recent "Product Service Plan" nightmare I had with Circuit City. Well respected company? Not in my book and most other warrantees read the same.

What happened to me: I bought a 36" TV that was warranteed for one year (Mfg.) and bought an additional 2 years for $137.00 for each year. Cost of TV after rebates, $400.00 and change. I renewed the contract for the next three years at $137.00 per year based on their "Repair or Replace with a similar product" warranty so I have paid $685.00 plus tax in warrantee fees. The audio processor went bad, was not repairable and all I was offered was a $399.00 store credit. Buried in very small print in their very small pamphlet is the term; store credit will not exceed the price of the TV purchase if same product is not available. So I paid $685.00 over 5 years to get a $399.00 credit to go and buy another TV at Circuit City. Guess what, I learned my lesson about store extended warranties and will never shop at Circuit City again. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. They got $685.00 plus tax off of me for nothing. My suggestion, just go with the manufacturers warranty.

Good luck, Joel

Collapse -
Sorry, forgot the important part
by drew562 / January 27, 2007 2:06 PM PST
In reply to: Read the fine print

This TV was listed by Circuit city at $1,200.00 before all sale price and rebates.

Cheers, Joel

Collapse -
Service plan
by billpov / March 8, 2007 6:05 AM PST

last year I bought a 42 inch plasma TV from circuit. They offered me a 7 yr service plan for $799 which I bought. When I went to the Hitachi web site to register the TV they offered me the same type of service plan for $399. Had I know about their plan which the circuit city salesman didnt tell me about I would have gotten it instead. So before buying any service plan be sure to check what the manufacter offers in the way of extended service plans.

Collapse -
Product Service Plan
by louroberts / October 10, 2010 6:30 AM PDT

In Jan 2007 I purchased a Toshiba 37 inch 1080p, cost $1550 and I paid $450 for 4 year. Plan expires Jan 2011, I have a problem with greying out areas on the screen. Futureshop 'techie' comes Tuesday am to take a look.

I also have problems with burn-in caused by static images on eg BNN logo + stuff on right side of sceen and CNN logo etc. I 'massaged' the area with two finger tips and after a few minutes the burn-in was gone.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.