Web Hosting, Design, & Coding

General discussion

Never Consider Aplus

by barthle / June 15, 2007 4:32 AM PDT

Acoording to Cnet, Aplus is the best web hosting company. They are absolutely NOT. Here is what they did to me:

One morning, I woke up and saw that my site was gone. Why? I got an e-mail from them, saying that my SQL query limits has been exceed 900%.

Now the first question is, why did they wait until it reached 900%? Why not did they warn me when it reached something like 100%, 200%.

And the second questions is much more interesting..I have a extremely simplistic personal web page, to share ideas among a few close friends. We are talking about 20-30 articles (40-50K each), A few picture gallery. No video sharing, no mp3 sharing, no database forms, no complicated searches..It was like a secondary school student science project kind of site..30-40 hits daily at most. So, how on earth such a simple personal page can possibly exceed SQL querry limit? Besides, I had the top one in their shared plans.

And this was not all..I have been having too many troubles with them before. They don't allow you more than 10 RSS feeds, if you use real time RSS reader, they would kill the module (Joomla) which uses RSS.

They would NOT allow you to connect your Shoutcast streaming radio on a dedicated port. That's fine..I decides to go as simple, and as basic as possible..So my site came down to a very simplistic Joomla based site for some political article sharing..Simple text file..That's all..No excessive RSS feed (I was forced to use only one real time reader), no streaming connection..

So don't be fooled with their plans promising worlds..They are practically useless. Who would need 5000 e-mail accounts, 200Gb disk space, if you can not run a very simple site

If you are planning to run a business site, forget Aplus..If you "exceed" the limits which only they know, your business would be shut down overnight without any prior notice to give a chance to take the necessary steps. How are you gonna run a serious business site, if it is not possible to run a basic personal page to share the interests, hobbies, thoughts etc.

It is extremely disappointing that such a respectable review site as Cnet, had put them in number one position..It is quite perplexing. I can't help to ask myself if there is a business affiliation between two.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Never Consider Aplus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Never Consider Aplus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One More Thign About Aplus
by barthle / June 15, 2007 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Never Consider Aplus

Forgot to mention:

They didn't allow me to connect to my Joomla backend one last time to make a Joomla back-up. Not even Just a few hours. They just simply kicked me out. I've spent months to prepare that site..Now all my hard works are vanished.. They didn't allow me to retrieve my files.

They just asked me to provide them another ftp adress, user-id's and paswrods, to transefer my files. I told them I needed to make a Joomla backup in order to publish the site as it is in another hosting, but they didn't accept it.

This is how they treat their customer..

Please help me to spread the word..I'd appreciate if you can tell me some other web sites where I can publish my complaints.

Collapse -
Re: Never Consider Aplus
by gsmiller88 / June 22, 2007 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Never Consider Aplus

Sorry to hear about your troubles. It is quite disappointing that CNet rank such a provider as the best. However, I have found that the only way to know how good or bad a web host is, is to just try them for yourself and hope you made the right decision. I hope you get everything sorted out!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.