Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Networking windows 98 with windows 7

by ronrep / November 23, 2009 8:40 AM PST

I would like to add my new windows 7, 64 bit machine to my W98SE, peer-to-peer ethernet network. Three machines and multifunction printer are connected by a Linksys WRT54G router. (Another 98SE connects remotely to one of those, via PCAnywhere.) I have created a share, set full permissions for "everyone" on W7, and all are in same workgroup.

W7 machine can access the network printer, see, access, and share folders on the W98 machines. W98 machines can see, but cannot access W7, either from Network Neighborhood or "run" command. I do not run a firewall on W7 as yet. My XP Pro laptop CAN wirelessly share with both W98 and W7 machines. I have identified NTLM v.2 as a potential cause, but following MS instructions to download and activate same on one W98 box changes nothing.

I appreciate any suggestions from those more knowledgable than I. I am already considering replacing all W98's. Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Networking windows 98 with windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Networking windows 98 with windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Welcome to W7 . . .
by Coryphaeus / November 23, 2009 9:02 PM PST

It's as bad as Vista on sharing a network. I had Vista Ultimate and W7 RC for several weeks. I never did get them to play nice. Just my two cents, hopefully someone will chime in and answer the question.

Collapse -
Posting has been moved.
by ronrep / November 29, 2009 1:55 AM PST

I have posted this request in Networking and Wireless Forum. Thanks, Corypheus, for the moral support.

Collapse -
HOW TO Networking windows 98 with windows 7?
by etpc / March 21, 2010 4:35 PM PDT

Hi Ronrep,

I was searching the webs to see if I can get some "how-to" help on networking Win 98 with Win 7, 64 bit. But I found nothing but your post. I would like to share and download the files on my old Windows 98 laptop to the W 7 laptop as my old files need to be transfered to the new laptop. It seemed like you have been able to do it. Can you tell me how you did it? I can put both online wirelessly via the same router, D-link. Thank you in advance.

Collapse -
Desperated Technical help to download files from Win 98
by etpc / March 22, 2010 4:11 AM PDT

In addition to my previous post to network with Win 7 in order to downland the files from win 98, I welcome ANYONE else who are knowelegable to reply and help me transfer my word, excel and photo files from Win 98. Thank you.

Collapse -
Let's be honest.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2010 4:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
How to Download files from Win 98 to Win 7 or USB??
by etpc / March 22, 2010 6:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Let's be honest.

Hi Bob,

I briefly reviewed the link you sent in responding to my post but there were no solutions on my Win 98 but Win 2000. Did I miss something there? Sorry, I am not too familier with FTP server either. Is it a free software to download? How can I have the files in Win98 to be seen in Win 7's FTP? Your detailed explainations are appreciated.

Collapse -
Didn't miss a thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2010 6:12 AM PDT

The instructions apply to old versions of windows and changes we have to do with 7. It only goes to show you that this area is not for everyone.

As to the FTP use. The steps are all of 2.

1. Install a FTP server on the Windows 7 box.
2. Install and use a FTP client on the old 98 box.

As a rule I don't duplicate web content about this. If you get stuck, tell where.
Bob

Collapse -
FTP server for Win 7 and client for Win 98
by etpc / March 22, 2010 8:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Didn't miss a thing.

Hi Bob,

I searched the web and found Core FTP site. Not sure which one will work on Wind 98 for FTP client. See below copied and pasted options. Are those free to use, do you know?

Download options:
Click on a link below to download and install Core FTP client software, for Core FTP Server, click [ Core FTP Server ] :

Core FTP LE 2.1 : free version - (details)
www.coreftp.com
ftp.coreftp.com

Core FTP 2.1 : Pro version - (details)
www.coreftp.com
ftp.coreftp.com

Core FTP MSI installs
LE version - www.coreftp.com
Pro version - www.coreftp.com

Core FTP Voice Pack
The voice pack add-on enables Core FTP? to inform you in a female voice of the
following events: connection, disconnection, completed transfer and transfer failure.

www.coreftp.com
ftp.coreftp.com

Core FTP ANSI versions - (see below)
LE version - www.coreftp.com | ftp.coreftp.com
Pro version - www.coreftp.com | ftp.coreftp.com

Betas, Latest Updates - Updated Jan 8th, 2009 - ver 2.1.1637
Core FTP v2.1 developer build - recent changes and updates - (details) - (notify)

LE version - ( ftp.coreftp.com | www.coreftp.com )
LE ansi version - ( ftp.coreftp.com | www.coreftp.com )

Pro version - ( ftp.coreftp.com | www.coreftp.com )
Pro ansi version - ( ftp.coreftp.com | www.coreftp.com )

Mirror download sites
Download Mirrors

Previous versions of Core FTP

Collapse -
There are literally hundreds to choose from.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2010 9:04 AM PDT

WSFTP, Filezilla, and the list goes on far too long for me to list.

If someone wanted to they could spend many weeks finding which they liked best?

Just one thing. Plenty free to choose from.
Bob

Collapse -
For a one-time transfer ...
by Kees Bakker / April 1, 2010 9:32 PM PDT

I would choose the easy way. Like:
1. Burn to CD if the Windows 98 machine has a CD-burner.
2. Copy to a USB-stick if you have one and can install a Windows 98 driver for it. There are generic ones available that have a high success rate.
3. Get the hard disk out and connect via a USB to IDE cable
4. Transfer via webbased storage, like Windows Live Spaces.

Kees

Collapse -
Go with Bakker's post
by bus / April 8, 2010 10:24 AM PDT

Nice and simple. Sometimes you should take the KIS approach. I messed with trying to network Vista and 98SE computers only to find more trouble than I can put up with. I even had trouble trying to get vista 32 bit and 64 bit to play nice. 98SE and win7 64 bit are just "A Bridge Too Far".

Collapse -
MS technet thread
by zvassil / April 9, 2010 5:17 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.