Networking & Wireless forum

Resolved Question

Networking wifi modem router with wifi router

by Neil_Clews / July 2, 2012 5:28 AM PDT

Ok lets try and get this straight...I have a belkin wireless modem router in my basement office, wired to my laptop and desktop pc, i also have a lan cable running upstairs to my bedroom connected to a tp link wireless router, which in turn is connected to my other pc. this is because i wanted to extend the wifi range of my internet (the floors are reinforced concrete and steel, so no signal can pass from office) trouble is i cannot acces any files on my office computers from my bedroom pc, and vice versa, as the network only shows up the closest router, ie bedroom on tp link wireless router, and office on belkin wireless modem router. what settings do i need to change so that all pcs can see each other, if i just plug the cable from the belkin router modem into my bedroom pc all is good, but then i lose my wifi capabilities. Please help as this is driving me around the bend.
Thanks

Neil_Clews has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Networking wifi modem router with wifi router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Networking wifi modem router with wifi router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by Neil_Clews

Collapse -
Did you set up the second router as a WAP?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2012 5:31 AM PDT

The clue is whether you used the WAN or the LAN port on the second router. If you used the WAN port then what you noted should happen.

If you want it to be on your LAN, please google the following.

How to use a router as a WAP.
Bob

PS. Bob is optional in that search!

Collapse -
Thanks
by Neil_Clews / July 2, 2012 5:53 AM PDT

Cheers Bob your a star, thats saved my hairloss from getting worse Grin

Collapse -
Good to hair!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2012 8:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

This solution is one of my favorites and not too hard to accomplish once you get on the right port and a few other settings.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.