Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Windows Vista

General discussion

Network Printer - XP 32bit Server, Vista 64bit Clients

by tbenedict / January 26, 2009 9:43 AM PST

I'm having an issue with adding a printer on a Vista Ultimate 64bit computer. Here's the setup:

The printer is an HP Photosmart 7760. This printer does not offer a network connection, so it's connected via USB2.0 to a 32-bit Windows XP computer. This setup has worked for some time.

The client computers were previously also 32-bit Windows XP machines on a local area network. Microsoft Print Sharing has worked great in this regard, and printing worked smoothly.

Recently two of the client computers were replaced with new machines running Vista Ultimate 64-bit. For the most part the transition has been smooth, but not in the area of printing. Vista can see the XP server, and can see there is a printer being shared. When I attempt to connect or when I add the printer through the control panel, it says the driver is incorrect.

I'm assuming this means the driver being offered by the XP print server is incorrect. That makes sense since it's offering a 32-bit driver.

The difficulty is that I haven't been able to force a 64-bit driver to work. Installing the driver from HP only allows you to attach the printer locally via the USB port. Since the client machines are laptops, and are typically used in a different room, this isn't acceptable. I tried a 64-bit driver from HP that is supposed to cover the entire Photosmart line, but it also seems to want a local connection.

Since the print server is only being used for print service, I'd rather not upgrade its OS. It would be cheaper to replace the printer with something that is network capable. But that still costs money, and the printer is perfectly functional. It would be a shame not to use it.

Has anyone run into a 32-bit server / 64-bit client network printing issue before? I'm stumped.

Thanks,

Tom

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Network Printer - XP 32bit Server, Vista 64bit Clients
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Network Printer - XP 32bit Server, Vista 64bit Clients
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I looked and looked and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2009 9:47 AM PST
Collapse -
" This utility will only support USB connected printers."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2009 9:48 AM PST

" This utility will only support USB connected printers."

Annoying...

Collapse -
Network Printer - XP 32 Bit to Vista 64 Bit
by Carlos_ib / July 30, 2009 5:02 AM PDT

Tom,
I am having the same issue with exactly the same equipment that you mentioned. Did you ever resolve this problem? If so, please post your findings.

Thanks,
Charlie

Collapse -
Network Printer - XP 32bit Server, Vista 64bit Client-Update
by Dave Mod / October 19, 2009 2:12 PM PDT

I have the EXACT problem described. I have an XP (32 bit) desktop that acts as a print server on my network. I recently bought a laptop with Vista (64 bit). After spending 3 hours on the phone with HP, I am $39 lighter and I still can't print. HP left me with two choices. 1. Upgrade the XP box to a 64 bit OS........ or 2. Use a dedicated wireless print server attached to the printer via a network cable. HP seems to feel (and it makes sense) that by using a dumb print server any computer on the network can use correct drivers installed on the local machine without a problem. The problem seems to lie in the lack of forward compatibility (32bit server - 64bit client). Reversed, (64 bit server - 32 bit client) no problemo.

Collapse -
Netwk Printer-XP 32bit Server-Vista 64bit Client-FIX!!
by Dave Mod / October 19, 2009 2:58 PM PDT

I found the fix for this issue!!!!! Really simple actually. These are the steps I followed.

Here are the exact steps that worked for me:
1. Download the Windows Vista 64 bit printer driver for the HP 3055 multifunction printer from HP.com.
2. Install the driver on the Windows Vista computer as a local (not network) printer. If, during installation, you are prompted to connect the printer to your computer, choose the option to proceed with installation without connecting the printer. Install to LPT1 (default) only. (port change is done after install completes in Steps 6 &7)
3. After installation completes, open the Printers applet from the Windows Vista Control Panel.
4. Right-click on the new HP 3055 printer and choose Properties.
5. Go to the Ports tab.
6. Click Add Port?, select Local Port, then click New Port?
7. For the port name, enter exactly the network path and share name of your printer. In my case it was \\xpburner\HP3055, Click OK, and double-check that this new port is selected with the checkbox next to it.
8. Click OK to close the printer properties.

The entire article is here:
http://www.kevinyank.com/blog/archives/connect-to-a-network-printer-on-a-windows-xp-server-in-windows-vista

Collapse -
Worked great!
by webbtek / December 28, 2009 3:04 AM PST

I've been trying to print from my Vista 64bit laptop for some time now. Very frustrating. The solution certainly doesn't appear to be intuitively obvious. Saved my sanity also! I really needed this to work.

Collapse -
Network Printer Vista 64bit Home - laptop XP 32 bit
by mike dean1951 / January 8, 2010 7:52 PM PST

I have the reverse situation but the solution doesn't appear to work. The 64bit Vista machine is working with Workgroups whereas the laptop is on domains - does that make a difference?

Collapse -
Thanks for sharing!
by jeng00 / May 3, 2011 5:21 AM PDT

Thank you for sharing this! It's exactly what I was looking for: a way to print to a 32-bit print server from a 64-bit Windows installation!

Collapse -
Printing from a 64bit Vista to a 32bit XP
by nemurare / October 19, 2009 11:17 PM PDT

First-check to see if there is a 64bit driver for your printer. If its over 5 yrs old it probably is not available. Install the 64bit driver on the 64bit computer, attaching the printer directly to the 64bit machine. Next reconnect the printer to the 32bit machine. Check the name on the printer on the 32bit and rename the printer on the 64bit to agree. Set the printer to share. Next set the printer on the 64bit to "print to file". Lastly, Make the connection on the 64bit to print to \lanname\\printer and your ready to print.

Collapse -
DUH!!!!!!!!
by Dave Mod / October 20, 2009 1:49 AM PDT

I think I just said what you said except I was much clearer. You do not have to connect the printer directly to the Vista 64 machine to install the driver. So, thanks for mucking up the whole thing.

Collapse -
Windows 7 x64 is also able to print on 32 bit server
by Shank Kris / January 7, 2010 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: DUH!!!!!!!!

Thanks Mate.

I was able to use the same method in Win 7 Home premium.HP helped me in no way.The machine is a brand new HP slimline and the printer is HP 3015 All in one Laserjet.The stuff works now.Thanks....Great relief indeed.

Collapse -
It still works
by Robert_Maize / February 23, 2012 2:50 PM PST

Its 02-23-2012 and the instructions of Dave Mod above worked swimmingly.

A couple comments on my specific hardware may be helpful.

OS on computer sharing printer - win xp 32bit
OS on computer accessing printer - win 7 ultimate 64bit

HP Laserjet P1606dn -- downloaded latest and greatest from hp but the installation was so automated that that it only offered a USB installation or a network installation that required a MAC address. Both alternatives were dead ends. I then tried an installation using the drivers that cam with the OS and was offered a LTP1 port and it went smoothly from there.

Epson Styles Photo R1600 - after downloading the 64bit drivers I started the installation. I was offer a manual installation or an automated installation. After selecting the manual installation and selecting the LPT1 port it went smoothly from there.

And thanks that I still remember something of UNC (universal naming convention) from my early experiences with using scripts for network setups when the computer was rebooted.

Thanks to all,
Robert.

P.S. Without having previously read these posts, I would not have bought the 64bit OS.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.