Networking & Wireless

General discussion

Network Magic alternative

by jordan14petersen / December 21, 2006 1:08 PM PST

Im looking for an alternative to network magic. I like all the features that network magic offers, but i dont want to pay money for it. Does anyone know of a good, free home network management program.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Network Magic alternative
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Network Magic alternative
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One suggestion
by BlueKnight / December 27, 2006 4:55 AM PST

I don't know of any product right off that has all the features of Network Magic, but with a quick search I found WiFi Manager 5 (FREE)
http://www.adventnet.com/free-softwares-download.html Note that there is a "professional" version also available for a price.

You can use Network Magic FREE after the 30 day trial as long as you don't need the printer and file sharing features (what I'm doing). All other features will function. Frankly, I'd rather share a printer using a network print server so it's always available.

You can also try searching the CNET downloads area and other similar forums for this type of software.

Collapse -
Network Magic vs. Alternatives
by keng612 / December 10, 2007 8:45 AM PST
In reply to: One suggestion

Quite frankly, the only real alternative to Network Magic is the Windows OS itself. Albeit, more of a learning curve and having to know all the ins and outs of setting up all the complex features.

I have been in the IT support business for over 20 years, and have been skeptical about most programs like this, until I tried NM. I tested it for about a whole 2 days before going on the company website and buying a 5 user license, which I think set me back like a whole $40. The pricing structure has changed, but for the full pro package you can get 8 PC liceses for about $65. Nonetheless, its been a breeze to setup, run and maintain, and I highly recommend it to all the people at home setting up a SOHO network. We would all love something for free, but you get what you pay for. At the price NM has been going for, I'm sure it won't set you back too much, and very well worth the price - feature ratio.

Scrap together a few bucks and get the licenses. You'll be happy you did.

Collapse -
Network Magic vs. Alternatives
by veteranbv / July 20, 2011 4:09 AM PDT

I agree, that for the Windows platform, it can't be beat. Does anyone know of a similar program that supports the Mac OS?

Collapse -
Sad news
by Norm_N_Tam / October 25, 2012 12:17 PM PDT
In reply to: One suggestion

Cisco has announced that Network Magic is no longer available as a separate product. It's features are available only with the purchase of certain routers.

Collapse -
Network Magic Pro crash NO tech support
by alohacomputer / October 30, 2012 3:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Sad news

Have had Network Magic for over a year has work fine until recently and NO support is being provided. Seems like Cisco has lost interest in NM Pro.
The program will crash on a regular basis. Have tried on many times to contact support with no reply......search this and u will fine may other too have this problem....with NO solution!

At this point I would stay away until this issue is resolved.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.