Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

"network did not assign network address to the computer"

by jebulmer / September 8, 2007 12:32 AM PDT

Hi - I could really use some help here. I'm not overly technical but did manage to setup a secure wireless network in my home and it was working great for a week but today I got this problem after rebooting the client pc. Each time I reboot I get "limited or no access to the internet".
When I try to "repair" it says unable to repair as it "cannot renew the IP address".

Here's my setup:

Access Point PC - is running Windows Vista, using a Linksys Wireless G router

Client PC - is running Windows XP, using Linksys Wireless G network adapter

Both PCs are running Norton Antivirus.
Any other information you need?
Please help!!!
Thanks,
Jenn.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "network did not assign network address to the computer"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "network did not assign network address to the computer"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My checklist.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2007 12:38 AM PDT

1. Latest firmware in the router.
2. SSID broadcasting.
3. No security, try a connect.
4. If OK, move to WPA-PSK

Bob

Collapse -
english translation?
by jebulmer / September 8, 2007 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: My checklist.

Thanks for the very fast response but I need some help deciphering the checklist.
I do have the latest firmware version as I spent 1.5 hours on the phone with Linksys support when I was setting this whole thing up and we did upgrade it at that time.
SSID broadcasting? Where do I check that?
Thanks,
Jenn.

Collapse -
Could be in your manual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2007 12:49 AM PDT
In reply to: english translation?

I'd tell you the page number but no link was given for me to reference. But it's a setting that people might try when they write they are setting up a secure wifi.

Bob

Collapse -
setting?
by jebulmer / September 8, 2007 1:04 AM PDT

Sorry for stupid questions but a setting on what -the router?
I don't have a manual for it - I could check their website.
Would it be on the setup page for the router?

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2007 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: setting?

"setup a secure wireless network"

I am no substitute for the manual. Some don't want to look in the index or look at the settings of the router. For those they may be better off calling the router maker's support lines. I am also a poor substitute for those support lines but will share common ailments and what I use.

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry I hit the post button too soon.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2007 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes.

What I meant to ask was since you wrote you were setting up a secure wifi you should share what you did to get that working securely.

Bob

Collapse -
more info
by jebulmer / September 8, 2007 1:36 AM PDT

I found the SSID broadcasting feature on the setup page. It is enabled and I'm running WPA Personal security as recommended by Linksys support.

I just had my client PC connected again for 5 minutes! (just by disabling and re-enabling the adapter) When its connected the wireless network connection status says:

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP

Then it just stopped working and the status changes to:

Address Type: Automatic Private Address

How do I get it to stay at "assigned by DHCP"?

Collapse -
Something to try.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2007 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: more info

While I wrote to try it without WPA or MAC FILTERING for a test run I don't see any reply about that.

However, one owner and member found they could fix one of their laptops by heading to the XP Control Panel where it shows the network wifi links. They removed the somewhat working link then used the wifi finder tool to connect up again. That fixed theirs.

Best of luck. Sorry if this seems deep but wifi isn't as easy as people make it out to be. Some work is required to add new words to our vocabulary.

Bob

Collapse -
up and running!
by jebulmer / September 8, 2007 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Something to try.

I did try with security disabled and no luck. (sorry forgot to write that).

Now all I've done is reboot my access point pc and turn the router on/off and I'm back in business!

I will try the control panel suggestion if it goes back down again. I don't know why things just stop working when you don't do anything???

Networking is a little deep....am working on my vocabulary. Thank you so much for your help and patience!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.