Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Network cable unplugged

by oldronruns / May 11, 2013 12:52 AM PDT

I have an old ASUSTEK Computer with windows xp home edition that has lost its ability to connect to wifi. It no longer shows available wifi connections and instead says a network cable is disconnected. I have spent hours on the internet trying to fix the problem to no avail. I am wondering if I can just buy a new usb network adapter to connect to wifi or do I need to install a new adapter to the computer? Any help would be appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Network cable unplugged
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Network cable unplugged
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can buy a USB network adapter for WiFi
by wpgwpg / May 11, 2013 1:37 AM PDT

I've bought USB adapters for as little as $10, although you can pay a lot more too. The $10 Tenda ones seem to work every bit as well as the more expensive ones, so I'd go for the less expensive ones. If your computer is a desktop, you could buy a PCI or PCIe card and use that for WiFi as well.
Good luck.

Collapse -
by oldronruns / May 11, 2013 6:51 AM PDT

Sounds too simple but I will surely try it. This is a mini computer which is seldom used but comes in handy when we go on a trip. I see adapters are available on ebay for less than $10. Anything else I should know before I buy one? Thanks.

Collapse -
It is simple - here's one I've had good luck with
by wpgwpg / May 11, 2013 10:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions


Big screens for the big game

Still looking for the best TV deals ahead of Sunday's game? Here are our top three big screen picks.