General discussion

Network and Sharing Center Public or Private

by zo9345 / June 27, 2009 1:36 AM PDT

Yes I have Vista and my laptop is connected wireless thru router
also have another pc wireless as well
In Network and Sharing center in vista it says Public or private option
I dont plan on sharing files or anything like that
Since I have a router and have no plans for sharing files
what option should I set this to Public or Private?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Network and Sharing Center Public or Private
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Network and Sharing Center Public or Private
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Since it is your own (closed), network, Private is fine.
by John.Wilkinson / June 27, 2009 2:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
Vista Public or Private
by zo9345 / July 8, 2009 4:56 AM PDT

I thought public was a safer choice?

Collapse -
It is, but...
by John.Wilkinson / July 8, 2009 12:10 PM PDT

The main difference is whether or not you want other devices on the network to be able to see the device. At an airport while accessing a public hotspot, that can be risky. On your own network, behind a presumably password-protected router with a built-in firewall and using WAP/WPA2 encryption, the risk is negligible. Private is always safest, but Public ensures easier transfer of files between devices in the future, without changing settings on multiple devices, without posing a viable risk.

Hope this helps,

P.S. I received your PM, but prefer to respond to all questions here so that others may benefit from the information in the future.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.