Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Network: 2 computers, 2 printers (one wireless)

by smileyzoso / March 30, 2010 5:52 PM PDT

Hi,

I just got a used computer for my son and now need a router to connect it. I also have a new wireless printer that I want to connect to the network along with my old one. One printer will be used for high quality pictures and the other for just regular documents. Right now, the only thing that will be using wifi is the new printer, the rest will be wired. Now I'm not very tech savy and was wondering what sort of specs I need to look for in a wireless router that will hook up these four devices.

Any info would be great
Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Network: 2 computers, 2 printers (one wireless)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Network: 2 computers, 2 printers (one wireless)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's start with the printers
by Steven Haninger / March 30, 2010 8:51 PM PDT

You said you have a new wireless printer but an old one you also want to connect. Does this printer already have an Ethernet port? Otherwise, you need a print server as well as a router, or a router with a print server included. Otherwise, all you'll need is any capable wireless router that has Ethernet ports. Generally you get 4 of these. Most are now featuring wireless "n" but all you probably need is "g". I won't try to offer my own brand preference other than recommend staying with a good brand name and not doing too much bargain shopping. I'm not the biggest fan of wireless printing either. I prefer wired but that's my choice and there are certainly reasons to use wireless capability.

Collapse -
network 2 computers (one wireless, 1 printer
by reksbk / September 21, 2010 1:58 PM PDT

I need to network my laptop computer to my PC destop and printer connected to my desktop.

Collapse -
It can be done.
by mopscare42 / September 22, 2010 11:24 AM PDT

I did that with my laptop running Windows 7 and the desktop with Windows vista.
I have two printers on my desktop computer and can print wireless to both of them.
Sorry, but I don't remember all the steps. but you can either go to Microsoft or Google networking for what ever OS your computers have, that's how I found all the information.
I am with Steve on the wireless printing, but in my case I was told it couldn't be done and I wanted to see if the people telling me that were wrong, which they were. They were also trying to sell me a wireless printer or a print server.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.