Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Netscape does not launch

by richtestani / December 17, 2003 12:56 AM PST

I am trying to change my browser to Netscape 7. I am running Win2000 Pro. IE is such a deathtrap for Spyware and ads, I know moving to Netscape will be a huge improvement and more productive.

What happens after installation is simply nothing. An arrow with hour glass appears for a second then that's it.

I have no idea where to look or what is happening since nothing happenns.

I have seen this with other apps and never have known what to do since there is not even an error box.

Any odeas anyone?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Netscape does not launch
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Netscape does not launch
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Netscape does not launch
by Yew / December 17, 2003 2:30 AM PST

Don't use Netscape unless you're looking to get some AOL spyware junk installed on your system. Instead, use it's cousin Mozilla ( Besides not having even the possibility of AOL spyware/crapware being installed, it's also the more actively developed base for Netscape. To give you an idea, Netscape 7 is based on code that is just shy of the official Mozilla 1.4 release. Mozilla 1.6 has now hit beta and will probably be released within the next month or two.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Netscape does not launch
by richtestani / December 17, 2003 3:54 AM PST

Thanks for the tip - I was aware of Netscape being based on Mozilla - I was not aware of how different of apps they still were.

Secondly, I actually did try Mozilla first with the same results. It actually ran only once, and never again. The same thing was happeingin with Mozilla, a cursor and hour glass icon, then nothing.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Netscape does not launch
by Yew / December 17, 2003 6:20 AM PST

Just something to try/consider. Many times during the setup of Mozilla you will briefly see something flash across the screen, and then nothing will happen for a good few minute or two. Then suddenly it starts going again.

There is a reason for this which isn't really worth getting into, but the Mozilla developers could probably do a better job of providing some sort of visual feedback.

You might also want to make sure you don't have a failed installation sitting around on your system. It shouldn't cause a problem, but it never hurts to keep options like that open on Windows.

If all else fails, you can get ZIP compressed versions of Firebird (a standalone version of the Mozilla web browser which some people claim is faster... Personally it seems about the same to me) and Thunderbird the stand alone mail client. All you have to do is unzip them to some directory and run the proper executable file. I'm not sure if the actual releases will come in these archives, but don't be put off by using nightly builds. More often than not, they're just as stable as actual releases, if not more so. They just don't get as much testing as releases do. If those builds don't run, then there's something else wrong on your system that needs to be tracked down.

Collapse -
Give this a shot. . .
by Coryphaeus / December 21, 2003 8:40 AM PST

Uninstall Netscape and Mozilla. Open Regedit: Start, Run, type in regedit and click ok. In the registry editor, click Edit, Find. This will take a while, search for all instances of Netscape and Mozilla and delete them.

Reinstall Mozilla. I say Mozilla because Netscape is based on it and it works better. And as mentioned above, there is nothing else installed such as AOHell crap.

Collapse -
Re:Netscape does not launch
by brian57 / February 22, 2004 7:00 PM PST

I am on CNET looking for answers to the exact same question, except that I use XP and Netscape was working fine until I had to re-install XP. I have used Netscape for years. I will try the fixes others have listed and let you know.

If I change to Monzilla, will I be able to import my past e-mail?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.