Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Netgear WNR2000v2 and xbox 360 live issues

by dragon672 / September 16, 2010 2:42 PM PDT

I took my Netgear WGR614v10 back to Walmart and exchanged it for a WNR2000v2. I find out after I got home that not only is it not windows 7 certified but its not certified for xbox either. It seems to be working better than the old router on the laptop but when I test my 360 connection I get a moderate NAT warning. I have followed all the steps listed on the xbox support. I have forwarded port, set xbox as the DMz. I don't know what else to do.

The connection seems to be some better but I can't get the NAT changed to open. Any suggestions on what to do or should I just give it up and order a wireless modem from my ISP and pay $4.00 every month? Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Netgear WNR2000v2 and xbox 360 live issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Netgear WNR2000v2 and xbox 360 live issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No problems here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2010 4:20 AM PDT

We have that router. But. (What?) Ours is setup like this forum suggests as to latest firmware and the rest of the suggested settings.

I didn't have to open ports, forward, touch anything NAT. It just works.

Bob

Collapse -
router
by dragon672 / September 17, 2010 10:02 AM PDT
In reply to: No problems here.

If I plug the 360 straight into the modem it reads an open NAT; but that's from where I had to reconfigure it before with the old router. I plugged the new router in and that's when it read a moderate NAT.

Collapse -
Weird.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2010 10:09 AM PDT
In reply to: router

Here I did nothing. Or very little. I did exactly what this forum asked. Lastest firmware, router defaults, and WPA-PSK for wifi security and a simple broadcasting SSID.

Your post sounds like you are trying many interesting things. I'm glad my 2000 just works with the 360 without touching any setting.
Bob

Collapse -
reset to factory default
by dragon672 / September 17, 2010 11:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Weird.

I reset the modem to factory defaults and tried it again and got the same results. Still a moderate NAT. I thought maybe the issue was the fact the router isn't certified for the xbox but if you have no issues then that's probably not it.

I tried to upgrade to the latest firmware and it said none was available.

Collapse -
Tell how you checkd for the upgrade.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2010 1:58 AM PDT

I went to the router maker's web site since those router web interfaces are not reliable.

Ok, maybe I'm missing something. Both our 360s work with live fine. But you keep writing moderate NAT. Is there more to this story? That is, are you attempting something other than Live?

It will be a few weeks until I get back to home (on travel today) to see what firmware I have in our 2000 router but here, the stock settings and the forum advice works.

Parting idea. See if you can put the xbox 360 into the DMZ.
Bob

Collapse -
Possible Fix to Problem
by STEFAN120981 / September 28, 2010 3:28 PM PDT

I just purchased this router and was having a problem connecting xbox live via my laptop. Try the following to resolve your problem.

1) Go to the "router login"
2) Click on "WAN Setup"
3) uncheck the box labeled as "NAT Filtering"

Collapse -
Oops More....
by STEFAN120981 / September 28, 2010 3:31 PM PDT

I meant uncheck the box "Disable SIP ALG" then check the box "OPEN"

Collapse -
Networking & wireless forum: Netgear WNR2000v2 and xbox 360
by willjackson / October 10, 2010 1:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Oops More....

Yes you may set the NAT filtering to "open", Disable the firewall and also you may lower the MTU size to 1400 and if non of these steps work advise to upgrade the firmware of the router.

Collapse -
NETGEAR WNR2000v2
by nankipoot / December 6, 2010 3:16 AM PST

I had three diff routers before this one. I did the DMZ open prt forwarding ALL the things forums said, and nothing helped!

The NETGEAR WNR2000v2 has to the best router ever for MWCOD,and black ops and any xbox 360 game! All I did was plug it up and it ran! Open NAT every time, no configuration, It even saw the gateway without cofiguration. It has a good range as well on the wireless.

If your fighting the open NAT like I was, You will love this router!

Collapse -
NETGEAR WNR2000v2
by potwillliams / March 6, 2012 9:55 PM PST
In reply to: NETGEAR WNR2000v2

i have the same NETGEAR WNR2000v2 router and ive tried everything and still get "nat type moderate"
its really pissing me off think we should just throw the thing away and buy a belkin router i had one while i lived in England and ive never ever had any problems with it

Collapse -
wnr2000v2 problem with xbox live
by jmooch82 / March 22, 2012 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: NETGEAR WNR2000v2

potwillams try this as i have the same router. go to your router setup for net gear its 192.168.1.1 or routerlogin.net then go to WAN setup and make sue that NAT filtering is on open. secured will give you moderate or restricted.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.