Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Netgear WGT624 Locks Up

by SmokieUK / September 9, 2005 7:41 PM PDT

I've been searching for a very long time for an answer to my problem. I'm hoping someone here may have that answer. =o)

I have a Netgear WGT624v2 108Mbps wireless router. 2 PCs are connected wirelessly with Netgear WG311T PCI cards and 1 PC is connected wired to the router.

The problem is this: When viewing certain websites/pages over wireless, the router will lock-up. The router lights perform normal, even Windows (XP Pro and Home) remains ''connected'' but there's no connection. Wired PC can't connect, can't connect to the router's configuration pages, can't browse local network, it completely shuts everything out. All caused by simply trying to load a web page.

When viewing these sites/pages over wired however, the problem doesn't occur. It's only over wireless, on any PC, that the problem can happen. There are various sites that can cause this, so when viewing Google results chances are one of them will lock-up the router requiring a router reboot. You can only imagine how frustrating that is!

What's interesting is if I reboot the router and view a page I know causes this straight away, sometimes the page will load fine. If however I view a few pages first before the ''culprit'' page, it will definitely lock-up. Also, it's not specific to a DNS name but more a URL/website area. For example, works fine as does 99% of its pages, but does not. That section will kill my router 99.99% of the time. There are other sites such as that will do the same thing and countless others.

Netgear support have been fantastic. I have a support rep who calls me at home and we try various things (testing with encryption off, various other router settings) and I've even been sent a new version of the router. A WGT624v3, which is much improved, still has the same problem!

Could it be a compatibility issue with my cable modem? I've never seen an issue like this before, have you?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Netgear WGT624 Locks Up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Netgear WGT624 Locks Up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try another brand of router.
by Michael Geist / September 9, 2005 9:55 PM PDT

I might also clean out those Temporary Internet pages as well as those cookies and clear the History file.

Collapse -
The firmware version?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2005 10:08 PM PDT

While I consider it much like a car maker delivering a busted car and asking you to do the final fix, the FIRMWARE on your new router is often out of date.

The maker's website should have the update and how to install it.

Collapse -
by SmokieUK / September 10, 2005 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: The firmware version?

Thanks for both replies.

Trying a different brand isn't a solution I'm afraid. My router uses proprietary methods to delivery 108Mbps. Else I'll have 108Mbps cards running at 54Mbps.

Cookies are not stored, cache is emptied when Firefox is closed, History isn't even stored (0 days setting). Not that I don't appreciate your reply but that's too obvious a solution and of course I've already tried it. Besides, the problem doesn't happen on wired, even with a full cache.

I keep the firmware up-to-date. In fact, at one point it seemed to improve on a few updates.

The firmware with the v3 model is up-to-date. It's only just hit the stores.

As a gesture Netgear have replaced my v2 with a v3. I've still got to work out this problem though.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Same Problem
by SimpleDesign / September 27, 2005 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: RE:

I have the same issue, running the same router, but with the original v1 model. It often locks up, and the only fix is to manually reset the power. I've tried the same maintenance as well - firmware upgrades, cleaning out temp, cache, and cookie files, etc. Though it could be a specific problem with the 108 Mbps function, I've yet to find a solution.

It's dissapointing, but the only solution (if you want to maintain 108 Mbps) may be to upgrade to a new model, though there's no guarantee that you won't run into the same problem.

Collapse -
by SmokieUK / September 29, 2005 4:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Same Problem

I've tried different modes (Auto 108, 108 only, standard G (54Mbps)), various encryption options on and off, and it makes no difference.

There must be thousands of people with Netgear routers on the same ISP as me. I'm going to try my router and card on a friend's PC who has the same ISP as me and see if it works there. If it does, I'll have to try and get a new cable modem from my ISP... =o)

Collapse -
firmware again
by linkit / September 29, 2005 4:31 PM PDT

Even though the WGT624 v3 model just hit the stores, it may have been boxed months ago. Take a look at the firmware on It looks like there is a "version 1.0.128_1.0.1". It was published on 15-SEP-2005 and includes 12 bug fixes.

On the other end, download the latest driver for the wireless network adapter.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -
Using latest
by SmokieUK / September 30, 2005 3:54 AM PDT
In reply to: firmware again

For the passed year, I've always used the latest firmware. Even releases that aren't public yet and still no joy.

With regards to the cards, they're using the latest drivers too.

Thanks for your reply.

Collapse -
You are one patient person.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2005 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Using latest

I would have returned it as defective.

Collapse -
by SmokieUK / September 30, 2005 4:05 AM PDT

I have already had it replaced once (the company I bought it from said it sounds faulty) but I was disappointed to find the problem was still there.

2 months of waiting for Netgear support to reply (lol) I get a personal phone call from one support tech who's currently trying his best to solve the problem.

We were hoping the version 3 (I had version 2) would be the fix, but we were wrong. Still, I got a nicer (more expensive too!) looking router as a replacement. It's still frustrating though... =o(

Collapse -
Have you called this in?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2005 9:56 PM PDT

Here's why. Another C|NET member did and was told a specific version of firmware to use. It cured their issue.

Sometimes you must ask mother.

Collapse -
? =o)
by SmokieUK / September 30, 2005 4:02 AM PDT

Called in to who? (Dumb question? lol)

This is why I posted my problem here, hoping someone had the same issue and a fix for it. It's quite a unique case, otherwise it would be known by Netgear.

There were a few previous versions of firmware that seemed to perform better -- but the problem was still there. That suggests a flaw in the firmware, but there's thousands of people who use Netgear routers on the same ISP as me. It would be known straight away if there was such a problem.

When I test it at my friend's house on his connection, if the result is fine, I'll ask for a new cable modem from my ISP. My current one is around 5 years old and the modems they ship now are completely different.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.