LG forum

General discussion

Netflix Streaming problem on LG Smart TV

by billynibbles / January 27, 2013 4:00 PM PST

I have an LG LM620T connected to the internet. My broadband is 60 meg cable, and my internet connection to the TV is via 200mbps Homeplugs, so I wouldn't expect any buffering problems.

Indeed, I don't get them when watching either YouTube or BBC iPlayer in the HD format using the TV's built-in apps..

However, when using the Netflix app, I do. Worse still the buffering process locks up with the 'thermometer' nowhere near 100%. If I press the 'Back' button and restart it does at least restart where I left off.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a broadband problem as I can even get perfect Netflix streaming via wi-fi to my Google Nexus 7 tablet, using the same movies that lock on the TV.

I'm thinking that this is either a problem with the app or a memory problem in the TV.

Any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Netflix Streaming problem on LG Smart TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Netflix Streaming problem on LG Smart TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Netflix Streaming problem on LG Smart TV
by hereismystory / February 15, 2013 12:01 AM PST

My LG is 47LM6200

My internet connection to the TV is via 500 mbps Homeplug .

"However, when using the Netflix app, I do. Worse still the buffering process locks up with the 'thermometer' nowhere near 100%. If I press the 'Back' button and restart it does at least restart where I left off."

I returned a samsung TV I was using for a week with netflix and I was having no issues at all with netflix app on the Samsung.

I think it is the LG and Netfix combination.

I am looking for a solution.

Thanks Michael

Collapse -
It's a shame that settings can matter.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2013 12:05 AM PST
Collapse -
Netflix issues with the new software - 4.31.43
by yellowviper / February 16, 2013 4:57 AM PST

I have a total of 3 LG Smart TVs and two of the TVs have the updated software and it won't properly buffer Netflix. It starts up and then hangs with a red bar/loading sign. Oddly enough, the TV with the older software is not having any issues. I tried de-registering netflix but to no avail.

I presume there is no way of going backward on the software version? I spoke with LG customer service and they claim that they are working on a fix but who knows.

Anyone else?

Collapse -
Had same prob but found a simple fix
by barnicle88347 / June 26, 2013 12:32 AM PDT

I had a buffering problem on netflix and when using the plex media server to streem movies to my LG tv I use a LG wirless dongle to connect to my wireless router and I found two problems (1) found I was getting interference from next doors wirless router that was on the same channel as my wirless router so I loged into the rouiter and changed the channel (2) the dongle when pluged directly into the tv was getting interference from the tv the fix was to get a 2 meetre USB extention lead to move the dongle away from the TV

Collapse -
Found a work-around that works for me.
by billynibbles / June 26, 2013 4:29 PM PDT

I still can't explain why I'm getting a buffering problem with Netflix on my LG set. Both LG and Netflix were amazingly UN-helpful in that 'well it's not us' kind of way.
However, I have noticed that if my desktop PC is switched off, I don't get the problem at all. Maybe its regular polling for e-mail swamps my broadband in some way so that there's 'not enough bandwidth for both' - not likely with 60mbyte cable, but heh, it works for me!

Collapse -
I was able to fix it with the instructions from Netflix
by BMc123456789 / August 17, 2013 4:31 AM PDT

Disconnect and Reconnect the Netflix application
These instructions will work on most consumer electronic devices with the Netflix application.
1) Launch the Netflix app.
2) Using the arrows on your remote, enter the following sequence:
Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Up, Up, Up, Up
3) Select Deactivate and exit the screen.
4) Restart the Netflix app and sign in to your account.
Collapse -
factory reset
by Covdave / August 31, 2013 6:18 AM PDT

I've just been through all the steps above and nothing worked. in the end i just factory reset my TV (LG42LM620T), it seemed to work. Not ideal though, as i've lost all the settings.
I think it has to be a cache issue or something, but cant find any option to clear temp files.

Collapse -
LG Smart TVs hand while watching Netflix
by georgenassef / October 20, 2013 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: factory reset

I had the same problem on two LG SmartTVs using FIOS at 50mbps. Tried everything lan/wan related. Even switched ISPs. Even tried stopping all the previously paused Netflix shows.

It turns out that simply turning off the HD cable box while watching Netflix did the trick.

(Perhaps the TV is still signal processing the HD signal from the cable box in the background while you are trying to watch another stream?). Anyway it works like a charm on all the TVs now.

Let me know if it works for you.

Collapse -
This worked!
by SpookfishCNET / December 26, 2013 12:09 AM PST

Excellent. Thank you very much.

Collapse -
deactivate screen to make it work
by cfresearch / April 8, 2014 8:46 AM PDT

I have the instructions to
1. launch Netflix app- can not figure out how to do that, I go to the Netflix app and then I try to pull up the deactivation screen. does not happen. the I try the up, up,down, down, left, right, left, right, up, up,. up, up,
When Disconnect and Reconnect the Netflix application

These instructions will work on most consumer electronic devices with the Netflix application.
1) Launch the Netflix app.
2) Using the arrows on your remote, enter the following sequence:
Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Up, Up, Up, Up
3) Select Deactivate and exit the screen.
4) Restart the Netflix app and sign in to your account. I do to Netflix app, and try doing the up, down, it just moves the movies, can not get to the screen

Collapse -
Why the Konami code?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2014 8:51 AM PDT

Why are apps, companies hiding such behind such instructions?

Put it in the menus.

Collapse -
Buffering fix
by barnicle88347 / October 20, 2013 7:37 AM PDT

I had buffering problems and fixed it by not directly pluged into the TV but useing a extention USB lead to get the WIFI dongle well away from the electronics inside the TV

Collapse -
Netflix Streaming error code nw3-6
by Tripp2go / February 10, 2014 7:43 AM PST

After upgrading my LG "Smart" Tv software, suddenly Netflix could not connect. Got error code nw3-6. After MANY frustrating hours listening to Netflix blame LG and LG blame Netflix, here is what worked:
Instead of selecting your wireless network from a drop down list, connect manually by typing in your IP, Subnet and Gateway numbers.
Step by Step: on your TV go to
Network Status - (Now copy down the IP, Subnet and Gateway numbers to a piece of paper)
back out to
Network Connections
Start Connection
Enter Manual (Then input your IP, Subnet and Gateway numbers. Then enter as the DNS number)
Finish and try to reconnect to Netflix.

It worked for me and I hope it works for you. Life is too short to live without Netflix!!

Collapse -
(NT) Manual IP setup? Proof it's the router or LG.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2014 8:30 AM PST
Collapse -
This works!!
by edh001 / November 16, 2014 1:42 PM PST

Got a Netflix/Samsung Blu-Ray player disconnect. The old nw-3-6 error code. Called Netflix. They said it was Samsung's problem. Called Samsung...yeah, you guessed it. Go ask your Mother, etc.

Tried everything except the peanut butter sandwich in the DVD drive tray. Being a kind of computer geek, this answer had the ring of truth about it (well I was desperate anyway). This actually worked. The DNS mysterious address worked. Much faster now too. Wonder if they'll find a way to charge more?

Anyway, thanks a million!

Collapse -
LG/Netflix Suggestion
by NetflixFan17 / February 15, 2014 8:38 PM PST

I had the same problem with a new LG TV and Netflix; it would load 2% and then say to try again.

Problem was easily fixed by logging out of Netflix account on LG and logging back in. Also, if you need to call Netflix(number right on bottom of log in screen on TV) call first thing in the morning - got right through to a person:-)

Collapse -
No dice
by Casellit / February 20, 2015 12:59 PM PST
In reply to: LG/Netflix Suggestion

Tried the country fix and it didn't work

Collapse -
NETFLIX and YOUTUBE Smart TV buffering issues - *FIX*
by paul.g.gill / April 26, 2014 2:46 AM PDT

NETFLIX and YOUTUBE Smart TV buffering issues - *FIX*

Are you suffering with buffering issues with the above apps on you Smart TV? Do you have a PC or Laptop on the same network as the TV?

I found that disabling 'Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service' on your PC makes Netflix run perfectly, while the Youtube app isn't perfect but it is a hell of a lot better.

My PC and LG Smart TV are both connected to my router via ethernet cables, so not sure how this will affect wi-fi connections.

BUT, this will stop you sharing from your PC unless you use PLEX.
Or you can re-enable the service to share files again.

Collapse -
Smart TV streaming constantly reloading
by Salucci / February 20, 2015 12:52 AM PST

Have an LG Smart TV. After a month anytime I tried streaming from Amazon Prime or Hulu Plus was constantly reloading. Called LG and after three techs, one had a simple solution that cleared up problem. Had me go to settings and change the location from US to Canada, shut the tv, go back and change it back to US and then shut down the tv and restart. Cleared up the problem without having to go back to the factory settings. I am buffering free now.

Collapse -
Streaming Survivor
by bradanelson / April 2, 2015 3:55 AM PDT

Tried the country switch change (Canada), and it works perfectly. Didn't even switch it back to US, and getting great streaming whereas it would just buffer previously. Thanks! [LG 47LM6200-UE]

Collapse -
streaming problem with youtube and Netflix solved
by kaymalo / September 12, 2015 1:36 PM PDT

problem solved
I had this issue both with youtube and Netflix
I solved it by moving my router closer to the tv
(from 60 ft to 27 ft)
The LG tech said it should be within 30 feet

Collapse -
Box reads "Netflix temporary error, please try again."
by hmccabe1214 / September 14, 2015 5:53 AM PDT

I try to load the Netflix premium app, and on the bottom left corner it reads "last update 7/11/2015" and the only option I am given when I click on the Netflix app is to select "Update" and I choose that and a little box appears in the top right-hand corner that reads "Netflix termporary error - please try again later." This has been going on for weeks! Of course, when calling customer service for both, each blame one another and say to contact them. So those are both dead end roads. I have even reset the factory settings on the television, as well as ran updates. Any tips? Thanks in advance..

Collapse -
I take it you tried all the above. If so
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2015 12:01 PM PDT

You have a fine reason to return the product as defective, as in the maker can't fix it. May have to take them to small claims but here's the thing. Makers usually roll over since they can lose such cases. It would set a precedent.

Collapse -
I solved the problem for my TV
by kaymalo / September 15, 2015 4:47 PM PDT

I had the same problem with Netflix and also with YouTube
I solved the problem by moving the router Closer to the TV within 30 feet

Collapse -
I'm having the same problem
by dhornjr1 / September 23, 2015 11:24 AM PDT

I just bought the LG TV a couple of days ago. YouTube works fine but I get the "Temporary Error" message when I try to update Netflix. I reset the TV to factory settings and it still won't update Netflix...and my router is sitting literally five inches from the TV. (sigh).

Collapse -
At five inches no WiFi then?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2015 11:36 AM PDT

I take it you are wired to the router?

Collapse -
Return the TV
by kaymalo / September 23, 2015 4:37 PM PDT

Return the TV you're lucky that you just bought it

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.