Samsung forum

Question

Netflix refuses to load things on Samsung Smart Tv

by andrewcoja / September 2, 2012 6:47 AM PDT

I have a UN46ES6100 and for the life of me, I can't get it to load shows and movies on netflix reliably. I load up the netflix app and it constantly says "We're having trouble playing this title right now. Please try again later or select a different title." Except there is no problem playing it, as I can load up my browser and it works just fine. I can go to my Sony Dash and it plays just fine, it also plays just fine on my phone. But I have to keep retrying on my TV several times until it finally decides to load anything.

My TV and samsung's website tell me I have the latest firmware version (1017), I've tried resetting the TV. I wish I could delete Netflix and redownload it, but it's preloaded so you can't get rid of it. I can't find anything to get a clean version of netflix on my TV or any way to get it to actually wait more than a second to load the show I'm trying to watch.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Netflix refuses to load things on Samsung Smart Tv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Netflix refuses to load things on Samsung Smart Tv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
This old thread is closing soon.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2013 4:43 AM PST

Please don't tag or jump into this old discussion as it has bottomed out and folk may not be able to reply to you.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It's a sad situation.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2012 6:52 AM PDT

Netflix has farms of servers and if your PC works, it's from the farm that has no issues.

I've lost count of the issues folk are having with Netflix on devices (Wii, Xbox, TVs, BD players, etc.) It all feels a little too BETA to me. Plus you can't get support. Call Netflix and see what they tell you. Call Samsung and you usually get the other response.
Bob

Collapse -
I don't think this is the case
by andrewcoja / September 14, 2012 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: It's a sad situation.

I would accept this answer if I had any problems with my other devices. Unless netflix has a set of servers specifically for different devices, I still think it's something wrong with the netflix app on my TV. I've never had a problem loading netflix on any computers, my xbox, my phone or my Sony Dash. Trying to load netflix on my TV (my preferred option as the 360 version doesn't seem to output at as high quality) takes several tries every time. I have to sit and mash the select button on my remote while it attempts to load the video at least five to ten times.

Collapse -
Let's say that's true.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2012 4:50 AM PDT

Netflix writes that app so you know who to call next.

I've offered a lot of what we found in the CNET networking forum under the "Samsung owners, start here." But I have no reason to point to anything yet. It's interesting how Netflix works and while I can offer some ideas I won't debate anything. I'll continue to help where I can.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Netflix issues
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 17, 2012 12:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
Self diagnosis link is disabled
by lesleykg / November 25, 2012 2:08 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Netflix issues

@HD Tech - I tried these instructions, but the self diagnosis link is disabled on my TV. Any other ideas?

Collapse -
Re: Self diagnosis link is disabled
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 26, 2012 6:31 AM PST

Hi esleykg, what model are on you on? -- HD Tech

Collapse -
Model # UN32EH5300F
by lesleykg / November 29, 2012 2:19 PM PST

Model Code: UN32EH5300FXZA
Version No: TS01
S/N: Z4SS3CT600998Z

Collapse -
It's working now
by lesleykg / November 29, 2012 2:28 PM PST
In reply to: Model # UN32EH5300F

Just tried it again, and now I can select Reset. That was odd!

Collapse -
Re: working now
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 29, 2012 11:44 PM PST
In reply to: It's working now

Hi lesleykg,

OK, so the reset is allowed now. Is Netflix also working now?

HD Tech

Collapse -
Still getting the error
by lesleykg / December 20, 2012 2:08 PM PST
In reply to: Re: working now

I reset everything, but I still get the error about 75% of the time I try to play a title on Netflix. A similar problem occurs with the Amazon video app.

Collapse -
Re: Still getting the error
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 21, 2012 1:43 AM PST

Hi lesleykg,

OK, at this point, this sounds like some kind of intermittent wireless connection because it's working sometimes, but not other. How far away are you from the wireless access point? Is there anything between the TV and the access point (e.g., walls, bricks, microwaves, etc.)?

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
Still getting the error
by lesleykg / December 21, 2012 3:10 AM PST

The TV is about 50 feet from the access point. There are no walls, bricks or microwaves between the TV and the access point.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 21, 2012 4:28 AM PST

Hi lesleykg,

OK, 50 feet is reasonable, but you said there are no walls. What kind of environment is this? A warehouse?

HD Tech

Collapse -
I'm in a loft
by lesleykg / December 21, 2012 5:10 AM PST

I live in a loft.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 21, 2012 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: I'm in a loft

Hi lesleykg,

So tell me about the electronics and electrical equipment you have around in your loft. Also, describe where you live building, how many neighbors, etc. Also, give me all the details about your wireless access point: encryption, channel, etc. And if you could, let me know about how many other wireless access points you see when looking for yours.

HD Tech

Collapse -
More info on my home setup
by lesleykg / December 25, 2012 1:07 PM PST

I'm not seeing the option to reply to the latest post from Samsung_HD_Tech below, so I'm replying here.

I live in a 20-unit loft building. Each unit is about 1200-1600 sq ft; mine is one of the biggest at about 1600 sq ft. My loft is 3 levels; the bedroom is on the bottom level, the kitchen/living room are on the middle floor, and the TV is on the top floor, which is open to the middle floor (there's a 1/2 wall on the top floor so you can look down on the middle floor).

The wireless router is on the middle floor. We have a desktop computer and monitor on the middle floor, as well as the kitchen appliances (microwave, stove, oven, fridge). The router is positioned in the middle of the floor so it has a clear shot to the upper level.

Most of my neighbors have wireless networks set up, so I can see about 12 different networks.

My desktop computer is connected through the wireless network and has no problems running Netflix from a web browser (Chrome and IE8 work fine). Our various laptops also have no problems running Netflix through web browsers (Chrome, IE8 and Safari), and our iPad 2's and iPhones also run the Netflix mobile app fine over the wireless connection.

Collapse -
Re: More info on my home setup -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 26, 2012 5:50 AM PST

Hi lesleykg,

OK, I realize that you get the signal to your laptops just fine, but that's because the laptops have very good antennas in them because they often need to work at a large range, and with those electrical devices nearby and the 12 other hot spots, there may be enough interference that the TV isn't getting a strong signal. You can't completely get away from that, but you can mitigate it somewhat: do you know how to change the Wi-Fi broadcasting channel on wireless access point?

HD Tech

Collapse -
Need help
by lesleykg / December 26, 2012 7:57 AM PST

Sorry, I don't know how to change the Wi-Fi broadcasting channel on wireless access point. Can you help me with that?

Collapse -
Re: need help
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 27, 2012 12:28 AM PST

Hi lesleykg,

OK, do you know how to access the settings in your wireless access point to change other settings like encryption? Also, what's the model of your wireless access point/router?

HD Tech

Collapse -
Cisco Linksys EA 2700 router
by lesleykg / December 27, 2012 7:02 AM PST

I have a Cisco Linksys EA 2700 router

Collapse -
Re: I'm in a loft
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 28, 2012 12:45 AM PST
Collapse -
Changing channel didn't help
by lesleykg / January 2, 2013 5:19 AM PST

Changed channel to 11 (Cisco's recommended channel), and still having the problem.

We are not using Netflix on other apps at the same time as mentioned below in response to Chase.

I still think the issue is related to a Samsung software update. We didn't have this problem at all until a Samsung update a couple of months ago.

Collapse -
Please start a new discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 5:29 AM PST

When the forum bottoms out like this, start a new discussion if this is not your discussion.

Changing the channel will not correct what I'm seeing.
Bob

Collapse -
re: I'm in a loft
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 4, 2013 4:40 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Same Issue
by Chase_C / December 26, 2012 7:33 AM PST

I have a series 6150 and Netflix does the exact same thing as the OP. All the other devices in my home load and play Netflix without that issue. It only happens on the Samsung TV and it is connected via a STP Cat6 certified network so wireless is not a variable.

It didn't do this when it was new. Had to be an update that screwed it up. TV is currently running all latest updates so nothing to try now but factory reset.

Felt the need to post this because I feel the frustration of the OP and wanted to give let Samsung now that this is not a network issue but a software one and is happening to many.

Collapse -
I noticed the problem started after a Samsung update
by lesleykg / December 26, 2012 1:54 PM PST
In reply to: Same Issue

Just piling on to point out that this problem started immediately after a Samsung software update for me as well.

Collapse -
Re: Same Issue
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 27, 2012 12:32 AM PST
In reply to: Same Issue

Hi Chase_C,

If you'd like, I can try to help you as well. Removing the wireless as a variable is fantastic; it gets rid of a bunch of possible problems. So what's the complete model code of your TV? Also, what's the connection speed you have to your ISP?

HD Tech

Collapse -
by Chase_C / December 27, 2012 3:38 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Same Issue

Thanks for taking the time to help. I really like this TV other than the Netflix issue so if this can be fixed I will be happy since that is about all my kids watch.

The TV model # is UN46ES6150. I hope this is the complete one if not will have to wait until I get home to snag it off the unit.

I am on Cox cable connection and average around 28-30 mbps down and around 7-8 mbps up (a 35mbps plan). With speedboost it can go up to 35+ down.

What happens with the Netflix app is when opened I never have a problem logging in and connecting. The problem comes when trying to pick and play a title 99% of the time the status bar looks like it is loading but an error pops up saying something about "can't connect to title right now, try again". If you keep at it and try loading it probably 3-10+ times it eventually will load and play the title. As mentioned before we play Netflix on PS3, PC's, cell phones, and tablets. None of them ever exhibit this kind of behavior and are on the same network.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 28, 2012 12:36 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Same Issue

Hi Chase_C,

Thanks for all that information. It really did help. This seems like one of three possibilities:

1) More than 2 devices are trying to watch a video on the same Netflix account

2) More than 5 devices are using an app with the account

3) The account associated with your TV has been somehow disassociated with the ESN stored on your TV.

The solution to the first two is to modify your behavior. The solution the latter is contact Netflix.

HD Tech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.