Samsung

Question

Netflix, Pandora and Fitness Apps will not Connect.

by philalli / October 18, 2012 2:13 AM PDT

I have a new Samsung 50ES6900 from Best Buy. I have having problems in my Smart Hub. First, the WiFi Connection does not work, but I got around this by using a wireless bridge. Second, and more importantly, I cannot get the Netflix App to connect. Pandora will "see" my radio stations, but will then freeze and tell me there is a problem with my network and I cannot load videos in the Fitness App Center.

I have rebooted the router, bridge and modem several times and have restarted and updated the Smart Hub. I have the latest firmware downloaded to the TV. I will also say that I have no problems with streaming videos to my xbox that is also connected to the bridge or to my Vizio Blu ray player, which is in another room.

Can anyone help? It seems logical that I should be able to uninstall and reinstall those apps in the smart hub, but the "uninstall" button is grayed out in the App center.

Any help would be appreciated.

Phil

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Netflix, Pandora and Fitness Apps will not Connect.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Netflix, Pandora and Fitness Apps will not Connect.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I found those bridges to cause it to fail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2012 2:44 AM PDT

Remember I can't tell which bridge you used but not all work well for the Samsung Smart TVs.

As to the uninstall discussion, folk are a little touchy about how apps in Cell Phones and now Smart TVs are locked down, welded into place.

-> And before we go one more step, it nice to know the other things work on the bridge but it doesn't mean the Smart TVs will.
Bob

Collapse -
Smart Hub Issues
by philalli / October 18, 2012 4:51 AM PDT

The Bridge is a linksys WET610. It only has one input, so I unplug the xbox from it in order to plug the Samsung into it and use it and vice versa. Sometimes, although rarely, I will plug my Dish Receiver into it. Again, these components work fine going through the bridge.

I would prefer to use the built in wifi in the television, but it is too unstable and will not stay connected.

I have ATT DSL service with a wired motorola modem running through a Linksys Router (X2000). The modem in the x2000 is turned off and is used for routing only.

Thanks for helping,

Phil

Collapse -
About the x2000.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2012 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Smart Hub Issues

I didn't use it as a router but as a WAP and HUB. Using the router feature could create another hurdle. Here's how I set mine up.

-> http://duckduckgo.com/?q=How+to+use+a+router+as+a+WAP

Again, given only the details so far I can't guess exactly what it is except to note that bridges often are the failure point. Also I can't guess if your router is doing the DOUBLE NAT which is another hurdle. Your network so I hope you have a handle on that.

Again, bridges are usually the reason the Smart TVs don't function. Yes, we all bet the maker could test and work around this area but for now they don't.
Bob

Collapse -
about the x2000
by philalli / October 18, 2012 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: About the x2000.

I suppose the bit the confuses me - and this will perhaps expose my relative ignorance to netorking - why do other apps such as VUDU, You Tube, the Samsung 3D app, etc. work? It is only the three apps mentioned in my post that I am having trouble with. I'll take the bridge out of the equation and try to connect directly through wifi again tonight.

Phil

Collapse -
Sorry if this seems so deep.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2012 6:17 AM PDT
In reply to: about the x2000

But apps don't work or fail altogether unless there is something horribly broke.

In the case of Netflix it passes along some user and machine ID (network MAC address is well discussed) and if any network device diddles with that, then that app fails but the rest can work.

Again, we know that bridges can cause issues but I can't tell if your setup is a double or single NAT solution.

For many DSL and Cable modems the new modems have a router in them for reasons I won't dive into today. But it has changed how I setup a router. I used to take the defaults then secure the WiFi then I was done. Today I have to check the modem for a router feature then configure the router as a WAP if I find that.

Why don't I disable the router in the modem? Because the ISP/DSL Cableguy will come along and reset that and the setup fails hard with the owner left to call us back in for another 120 buck pop in the pocketbook.
Bob

Collapse -
router modem
by philalli / October 18, 2012 6:42 AM PDT

I appreciate your help, Bob. I'm not sure I know enough about the subject to check whether it is double or single NAT. In any event, if this helps, my modem does not have a built in router. It is a standard ethernet router. My DSL line runs out of it and into the X2000, which is set up as a wireless router only.

Phil

Collapse -
So your router is doing the PPPoE?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2012 7:11 AM PDT
In reply to: router modem

That's pretty rare today as the DSL providers found out the hard way that most users are not able to provision the original DSL modems.

I looked up and did not find the DSL modem so I could not check further.
Bob

Collapse -
Router PPPoE
by philalli / October 18, 2012 7:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
Here's the 3360 manual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2012 7:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Router PPPoE
http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/High-Speed-DSL-Modem-for-AT-T/123856,en_US,pd.html

Now before you declare that's not a proper manual it told me fast enough that it does not require the owner to install and configure PPPoE. Also it has a DHCP server in it because the owner is not required to set an address.

I could find other manuals but it's very clear this has a router of sorts in it.

Since this is ATT you also know there are issues with that service. Most of that is old news and cured so I won't duplicate or go there today.

So my bet is your router is doing a double NAT and then you installed a bridge. That's 2 or 3 more hops to the internet than a direct connection so while this all might work, it's not.

-> I'd try the router as a WAP first.
Bob
Collapse -
Router issue
by philalli / October 18, 2012 9:18 AM PDT

Okay Bob, I appreciate your help. Admittedly, you have me a bit flummoxed here - not your fault mine. My understanding of networks does not extend beyond the very basics.

In any event, my router shows NAT is enabled and my connection type is "Automatic Configuration" In the drop down box I can select PPPoE.

If I were to set up my router as a "WAP," would it change my network settings and would all the devices in my home continue to work off the WAP as they do the "router?" Forgive the elementary questions.

By the way, taking the bridge out - I still have connection issues through the wifi signal in the tv.

Thanks again,

Phil

Collapse -
Sorry but it's not easy enough (I know.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2012 9:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Router issue

I go to the usual conferences and so far the makers are not getting the message that owners do not want to let IP Networking yet here we are.

If we use the Router as a WAP, the DHCP server falls back to the DSL Modem (which in this case has a router) and for the WiFi access control, that is done in the "router as a WAP."

So if we do this right, your WiFi connections will not have to be re-jiggered and your wired connections should be fine and if not, a reboot or the device should be fine.

And all this, can be undone by re-setting up the router like you did before.

-> Moving the router which is now a WAP closer to the TV usually works. I move it to within 20 feet for the test run.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Wireless
by hoddy4444 / October 20, 2012 11:08 AM PDT

I have the same tv. It's a great tv but the wireless is a little weak. If I move the router closer to the tv the wireless is fine for Fitness, etc. If not, the apps. either don't work or work with a lot of buffering. If I hard wire with a WD Livewire, the apps. work great.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.