Samsung

Question

Netflix Issue

by Dgkid78 / May 14, 2011 11:39 AM PDT

I have a Samsung blue ray surround sound player. I am having issues with Netflix... play, pause,play,pause,play,pause over and over. extremely irritating and have not watched anything in over 3 months as it has seem to be getting worse. Sometimes turning off everything and restarting seem to resolve issue but not it just doesn't work. If I exit out of netflix while its doing its little issue, the movie will play just fine while the system is preparing for "exit" so I know it isn't anything to do with my modem or router. Any ideas? I am up to date with any downloads as far as i know

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Netflix Issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Netflix Issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I can't find
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2011 11:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Netflix Issue

I can't find details about your internet connection. Is it being used by anyone/anything else during your Netflix use?

And try the old trick. Press Pause and let the internet fill the buffers.
Bob

Collapse -
netflix
by Dgkid78 / May 14, 2011 11:55 AM PDT
In reply to: I can't find

it wont let me pause. just pauses and plays over and over.. I can only fast forward and rewind but it re-buffers and starts to play/pause again. it's really weird. I thought maybe my netflix needed an update, it works perfectly fine when i stream on my laptop. thats why i am guessing it's the blu ray player. the tv is also samsung so it isn't a compatibility issue

Collapse -
Remember that Netflix
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2011 11:59 AM PDT
In reply to: netflix

Uses different servers and code (the apps that run on your HDTV, BR BD and laptop) so the fact it works on one machine ... means not much.

Sorry but the ugly details are hiding here. I had hopes it was some house where the XBox 360 kid was play their games or the new Torrent user needed to be cut off.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by Dgkid78 / May 14, 2011 12:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Remember that Netflix

Yeah the connection shouldn't be congested, it's just me. Thanks for your reply. hopefully someone else may have had the issue and resolved it. I will try once again in the morning, if that fails I will call Samsung or Netflix? not sure but leaning more towards samsung as Netflix will just blame it on connection.

Collapse -
You call both.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2011 12:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

While you can be assured of finger pointing, Netflix wrote the app and Samsung made the machine.

Again it would have been nice to hear more about settings since WEP or less WiFi security is always good to discover and fix. If you think Samsung will be able to fix this, you would not be alone. (hint)

Bob

Collapse -
me again
by Dgkid78 / May 14, 2011 1:20 PM PDT
In reply to: You call both.

I totally agree with you Bob on the finger pointing. it's kind of the main reason why a couple months have elapsed and i have not done anything about it. Are there any things I am leaving out that might be of some helpful info? I am a little green to technical internet connection stuff. Any help or ideas of stuff to try would be appreciative Grin

Collapse -
It's why I hinted that details are needed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2011 1:24 PM PDT
In reply to: me again

I dropped the biggest hint on wifi WEP or less security. A new issue with WEP is that the person hijacking the connection can cause "one machine" to flunk and the others to work fine.

This and other tips are in the CNET Networking Forum in the top post "Samsung Owners Start Here."

But since I was online I had hoped for a quick look at the usual solutions.
Bob

Collapse -
??
by Dgkid78 / May 14, 2011 1:42 PM PDT

No idea what you just said haha but I am just going to go back to watching Netflix on my Wii even though the quality is comprimised. It seems to work good there

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Netflix buffering
by gastrohep1 / May 17, 2011 3:14 AM PDT

I have the same problem with my Samsung HTC6600, hardwired to a 5-6mbps ATT DSL connection. Netflix buffers on HD programming but not on SD programming. Frustrating is that VUDU, blockbuster, and CinemaNow work fine. Interesting to note also is that when I use my PS3 OVER WIFI, Netflix HD streams JUST FINE. This leads me to conclude that it is probably the way the Samsung specific Netflix app handles HD streams. I think Netflix or Samsung or whoever is responsible for producing the app need to correct this app issue.

Collapse -
Netflix writes, owns, maintains that app.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2011 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Netflix buffering

The ugly truth is that is works for most. Makes it rough to get Netflix to admit it's a problem.

Collapse -
Netflix buffering
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 17, 2011 7:48 AM PDT

gastrohep1,

Collapse -
Same exact issue
by jdlarsen / May 20, 2011 1:27 AM PDT

I have a CT5500 system with the exact same issue. I'm a computer tech for a living, so I'm pretty sure I have a grasp on the connectivity thing. It is hardwired to a 2 month old Netgear router and I have cable internet. The player reports 8+ meg for download speed, and my laptop (which actually is wireless) streams Netflix just fine. Pandora, Vudu, and Cinema Now are fine too. I know it's probably an app issue so I hope Netflix gets on the ball with this. If anyone gets this figured out, let me know.

Collapse -
same
by Dgkid78 / May 20, 2011 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Same exact issue

Yeah that's the same system I have...it actually worked fine the other day and I tried anonther movie and was back to its old ways of pausing and playing. Yet when I exit out and its processing the exit. The movie works fine in background

Collapse -
Hard Reset
by gastrohep1 / May 20, 2011 3:23 AM PDT
In reply to: same

I followed the advice of Samsung tech support regarding the above and performed a hard reset of my system (holding down stop button on the system for 5 secs). It erased all my previous settings and I had to reinstall my apps (netflix, vudu, etc) but in the end it seemed to improve the HD buffering issue. Instead of endless rebuffering at HD, HD programming will rebuffer only once and then downgrade quality (appropriately and not too much) to allow uninterrupted viewing. Maybe the reset freed up some memory...

Collapse -
Hard Reset
by jdlarsen / May 20, 2011 8:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Hard Reset

Ooohh...I'll try that! Happy I will definitely let you know how it goes. I figured there was a way to do a hard reset. Thanks!

Collapse -
Hard Reset
by jdlarsen / May 22, 2011 8:00 AM PDT

I did the hard reset. Then I got Netflix registered again and the issue happened immediately. This is kind of frustrating since it's the only issue I have with this Blu Ray player. It might also be helpful to mention that I have the latest firmware upgrade too (April, 2011). Also, since this is tracked on Facebook, I have a friend that chimed in and said his Samsung does this too. Come on, Netflix and Samsung...let's work together and fix this.

Collapse -
hard reset
by Dgkid78 / May 22, 2011 10:25 AM PDT

Yeah ditto here. I did a hard reset and nothing. Same issue..on the bright side I have a wii to stream off of. But the quality is comprimised. Oh well I am just happy it isn't just me. Maybe wait for next firmware update?

Collapse -
Answer
Fixed my Netflix buffering issue on my Smart TV.
by LawtonPS / November 17, 2012 3:51 AM PST

After lots of internet searching and experiments I have finally found a solution to my buffering problems when streaming from Netflix, and I thought I would share it with everyone. Maybe someone can explain why this works.

I have a two Samsung TVs and two Samsung Blu-rays:
Our living room has a Samsung Smart TV (UN55D6003SFXZA) and a Samsung Blu-ray (wireless lan adapter connected to Smart TV). In our bedroom there is an older Samsung TV and a Samsung Blue-ray (wireless lan adapter connected to Blu-ray). Our internet service is Comcast.

We have had problems streaming movies and TV shows from Netflix on our living room smart TV for some time now. It was often slow, and there seemed to be endless buffering. I also had similar problems streaming movies from VUDU. In fact, after the second time I had problems streaming from VUDU I demanded a refund...

Last weekend after having the usual problem with Netflix in our living room, my wife and daughter decided to go and watch the from our bedroom. This seemed odd to me, and after talking to them about it, it turnes out the Blue-ray in the bedroom had been working fine. This seemed to eliminate any network issues outside our home.

Next, I moved the lan adapter from the smart TV in our living room to the Blue-ray that is located in the cabinet just below. When we watched Netflix using the blue-ray it worked perfect, just like in the system in the bedroom.
I moved the lan back to the Smart TV and we had the same problem....????

Because our Blue-ray is buried in the cabinet with our DVR I use an old USB extension cable to make it easier to connect the Samsung wireless lan. So just for giggles I tries one of these USD extension cables to connect the wireless lan to the smart TV, and bada bing, it worked perfect. I tried the lan plugged directly into the TV again, and had the same slow connection.

After a week it's still working great. The only thing I can say is that somehow this USB extension seems to have solved the problem.

Sorry for being so detailed, I've been troubleshooting industrial equipment all my life, and have witnessed electrical noise immunity tests on a few occasions, so I would be interested if anyone could come up with a good explanation for what I'm seeing.
My family thinks I'm a genius....

Collapse -
You are a genius.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2012 4:00 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: Fixed my Netflix buffering issue on my Smart TV.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 19, 2012 4:52 AM PST

Hi LawtonPS,

As far as a good explanation, I think you supplied it yourself: electrical noise. Other electrical equipment generates noise that cross into the same frequency of the EM band, but the interference strength from other electrical equip falls off at 1/x^2, according to Coulomb's Law. So a greater distance from these devices lessens the strength of interference.

So your insight to moving the antenna away from the equipment was spot on. Generally, when we tell customers this, they don't believe us. For some reason, there's this opinion that wireless stuff is magic. So bravo to your sir for your troubleshooting acumen!

HD Tech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.