Samsung forum

General discussion

Netflix constantly freezes with BD-E5400

by seminoleron / August 4, 2013 11:52 PM PDT

Netflix constantly freezes with BD-E5400

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Netflix constantly freezes with BD-E5400
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Netflix constantly freezes with BD-E5400
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pause or freeze?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2013 12:57 AM PDT

On slower connections I see it temporarily freeze (pause) but not freeze (stop forever.)

There's more to this to investigate such as firmware versions, connection to the internet and more. But as presented you may have to tell a lot more. Be sure to tell if it worked before and the network security.

Collapse -
You're not alone
by MongooseProXC / August 24, 2013 9:39 AM PDT

I'm having the same problem here. Netflix has been extremely wonky and semi-unusable since upgrading to firmware ver.1014.1. It worked absolutely perfect before and I really regret updating. I found this trying to search for the same problem. I tried to downgrade the version but the player won't let you. I guess we are stuck until/unless Samsung issues a fix.

Collapse -
frozen samsung bd-e5400 netflix
by bombertodd / September 15, 2013 2:25 PM PDT
In reply to: You're not alone

I too upgrade the firmware to 1014.1 a few months back. Ever since then my Netflix constantly freezes. Before the firmware update it worked great for the other 8 months I owned it.

Collapse -
We cover more at this link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2013 2:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Netflix constantly freezes with BD-E5400
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 17, 2013 2:56 AM PDT
Collapse -
by bombertodd / September 17, 2013 12:00 PM PDT

I reset my player but it still has the current firmware on it. I tried it a few times and it still freezes a few minutes into streaming Netflix.

Can't you give us a way to roll back the firmware? Or re-release the previous firmware? It worked great.

Collapse -
Re: bd-e5400
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 18, 2013 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: bd-e5400

Hi bombertodd,

Unfortunately there is no way to roll back the firmware on your blu-ray player. I would like to gather some more information to help assist in a resolution for this issue. Please contact us at and provide us with or correct the following information:

Model code: ???
Serial number: ???
Firmware version: ???
Network environment: ???
Unique ID/ ESN number: ???
The error: ???
When the issue began: ???
Troubleshooting attempted: ???

HD Tech

Collapse -
by MongooseProXC / October 16, 2013 5:56 AM PDT

I also tried the reset multiple times. Would it be possible to research these problems and issue a fix in a firmware update? The performance issues in my player are clear as day so they should not be difficult for you to find. Again, the older firmware worked well so might it be possible to undo the changes in the latest versions(s)?

Collapse -
Update 1014.1
by hmb711 / November 14, 2013 2:04 AM PST
In reply to: @Samsung

I have two of these players in my home. I updated one to 1014.1 firmware and now I have internet connection problems. It always worked and found my connection prior to the update. I moved it closer to the router hoping that would help but it still fails to find a connection when turned on and after several attempts it may connect but won't keep the network connection. The unit that I have not and WILL NOT update still works great so clearly it's a problem with the firmware. I have done multiple resets, unplugged and held power button (?)- not sure why but Samsung phone tech advised it,- and obviously restarted the modem and router- all to no avail. Again, as I have two of the BD-E5400 in my home and one withour the upgrade works fine- it's points to the firmware update not anything in my network. But- here are the particulars so maybe someone at Sansung will actually help me. Any other ideas?

Model: BD-E5400
S/N: ZX2X1T4CC03700B
Firmware Version: 1014.1

Collapse -
Fix for Netflix constantly freezes with BD-E5400
by johncore / December 31, 2013 8:37 AM PST

Was ready to throw this piece of crap in the trash. Googled forever. Here is the fix

All in settings:

1. Check to make.sure you have a solid wi-fi connection, unfortunately on this model you can't cat5 into the box and you need to be reasonably close to the wi-fi source. C'est la vie.

2. get the newest firmware. firmware update will NOT work if you have a disk in the tray. you can follow Samsungs stupid instructions of downloading to USB and jumping thru hoops or you can just update online. (Why oh why would they not tell you that in their docs?)

3. Go into network settings and change (only) DNS to (google)

4. Change the time zone from GMT to your physical location.

Shazaam! after weeks of frustration, hours on the Samsung boards and others, and a return to the store this worked! Dear Samsung, since I just saved you thousands of returns and phone calls send check to

Collapse -
Samsung sucks
by bombertodd / December 31, 2013 2:36 PM PST

I finally threw mine in the trash and bought another brand. I sent mine into Samsung and they could not fix it. They sent it back with the same problems twice.

I tried the DNS, timezone, etc... and nothing worked. It worked pretty well until the 1014.1 firmware update.

I'd like to mention that my new Western Digital Live is amazing at Netflix and stream music/movies from my desktop and laptop.

Collapse -
This thread is more than 202 days old.
by MongooseProXC / February 23, 2014 3:47 AM PST

I guess Samsung is still hard at work on a fix.

Collapse -
Firmware Update!!
by MongooseProXC / May 1, 2014 12:00 AM PDT

Although this thread is dated, there is some very good news! Samsung has released a firmware update to version 1015.5! I have noticed is the pause and rewind are functional once again in Netflix. I am hoping many other issues are resolved as well.

Thank you very much Samsung for this update!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.