Samsung

Question

Netflix App not working on Samsung Smart TV UN46ES6500

by sandichat / July 6, 2012 7:00 AM PDT

Just bought a new 46" Samsung smart TV (model # UN46ES6500). The Smart Hub lets you download App including the Netflix App. All other Apps (like youtube, hulu etc.) are working fine but cannot connect to the Netflix App.

Every time I try, I get a message 'Cannot activate Netflix'.

Has someone faced a similar issue and were you able to solve the problem.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Netflix App not working on Samsung Smart TV UN46ES6500
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Netflix App not working on Samsung Smart TV UN46ES6500
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Just checking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 6, 2012 7:03 AM PDT

Just checking. - New!

by R. Proffitt Moderator - 7/6/12 2:02 PM

In Reply to: Cannot activate Netflix App on Smart LED TV UN46ES6500 by sandichat

1. Date and time set.
2. The DNS is not OpenDNS and you tried the Google DNS?
3. Called Netflix support?
4. Called Samsung support?

At this point they should have asked and checked out if the firmware is current.

My bad comment is that toasters should make toast and firmware should be something the consumer should never know about.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
PS. I see you cross posted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 6, 2012 7:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
It works!
by sandichat / July 11, 2012 6:43 AM PDT

Thanks all for the responses!

I followed a tip on one of the forums and it worked. What I had to do was create a Smart Hub account and login before invoking the Netflix App - works like a charm! Too bad Samsung does not have this called out in their manual or the error message - caused a lot of frustration and I was almost o the verge of returning the TV for an exchange!

Collapse -
I can explain that omission.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2012 7:56 AM PDT
In reply to: It works!

Samsung did not write the Netflix app. So it's a Netflix issue. In fact Samsung reps have written that once the App launches, any issue is out of their control, hands and more.

Sorry I couldn't guess you skipped the Smart Hub account setup.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.