Samsung

General discussion

Netflix app just stopped working on my Samsung LED TV

by RSOne / November 4, 2010 2:11 AM PDT

Hopefully someone here can give me some insight one what to do. I have been trying to get this to work again for a little over a week now.

The issue I am currently experiencing has to do with the Netflix app telling me "Not connected to the internet. Please check your connection and try again." All other apps work and my TV definitely has an internet connection. I have run the connection test and all is well and my TV has a fast connection. I would also like to note that my TV is wired and connected directly with no router. Problem is Netflix was functional a day before I updated the firmware to ver 1030.1. After the update I opened internet@TV and it prompted an update for MLB.tv and Watch Instantly. Since the update, Netflix opens and just gives me the error message above. I have scoured the internet looking for anyone with a similar issue, but have yet to come across anyone. So any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

I have tried reseting the TV to factory settings. I have tried deactivating the TV on my Netflix. So is there a way to reset the apps or delete the netflix app (which cannot be done from the app settings)?

Thanks again and hopefully I can get this resolved.

Misc Information
TV is a Samsung 55" LED TV (UN55C7000) 2010 model
Firmware ver 1030.1
Wired Connection
All Other apps work properly
Verified network test on TV = 5.14Mbps
Reset TV to Factory settings holding exit for 15secs
Ran network test in settings. Everything checks out fine

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Netflix app just stopped working on my Samsung LED TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Netflix app just stopped working on my Samsung LED TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Still cannot get it to work
by RSOne / November 7, 2010 9:55 PM PST

We still have had no luck on this issue. Tried emailing and calling Samsung support and have not received any help. I am bumping this topic in case anyone else has run into this issue or may have a solution.

Is there a work around to delete the Netflix app to reinstall it? It seems that is the only app on the TV which cannot be deleted. Odd it would be installed that way, but the only option I have for netflix in the App Manager is lock. The trash bin has always been grayed out.

Thanks again

Collapse -
cannot delete netflix
by lmoran123 / November 8, 2010 3:45 AM PST

Its at the top and they come right from samsung---like a perferred app. Had tv for about 6wks. Onky reason I purchased it was for netflix. Wanted Samsung to exchange the set for another one with working netflix. SAMSUNG ABSOLUTELY NO HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
I have exactly the same problem
by lmoran123 / November 8, 2010 1:12 AM PST

It happened the very same way to me. Samsung won't even return my calls. I was told to wait for new firmware update. Keep in touch.

Lynne

Samsung lcd Ln40C670

Collapse -
Same for BD-C6500 BR Player
by fredn24 / November 8, 2010 7:46 AM PST

Yes, the same thing happened to me on a firmware upgrade for my Bluray player. Ended up having to send it back for repair - I am not a happy camper!

Firmware upgrades should not destroy working applications.

Collapse -
Well seems I am not the only one
by RSOne / November 8, 2010 12:42 PM PST

Thanks for all the replies and hopefully a Samsung Tech will give us a little insight on what we can do. Especially since customer service has been of no help thus far. I just think they should test their updates a little better before sending them out. Didn't spend $2800 to have a TV that does not function as advertised.

I appreciate all that replied with their similar issues. Now I know it is a little more wide spread. If I finally get a hold of someone that can offer some assistance to remedy the problem. I will report back here in the forum on what needed to be done to take care of it.

Collapse -
Well seems I am not the only one
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 8, 2010 1:44 PM PST

RSOne

Sorry for jumping in late, but normally the factory reset does the trick if there's any issue with Netflix. I'm looking into this.

So we don't get this too muddled with different products, let's try to keep this to just TVs. If there are Blu-Ray players, let's start a different thread to address those issues, since they're two different product categories. (Duly noted however, and not any less important!)

lmoran123, could you list your model number? Is it the same as the OPs?

--HDTech

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks
by RSOne / November 9, 2010 12:34 AM PST

HDTech,

First off I would like to say thank you for the reply and no problem on jumping in late. Any help is very much appreciated and I am thankful that you jumped into the topic. With that said on to the discussion.

As for the factory reset, I thought at first that would have fixed it as well. I have actually tried it a few times and each time ends the same way. When I first updated the firmware, from the online option on the TV not over USB, everything seemed to go great. The firmware downloaded and finished installing without a hitch. Everything worked as it did before until I went into the Internet@TV section. Upon entering I was prompted that it was installing updates for MLB.tv and Watch Instantly. After the install I tried to go into Netflix and it loaded the normal Netflix loading screen (Red screen that says Netflix and the spinning icon). After it loaded up, it then proceeded to a dark gray screen with a red netflix header at the top. A prompt then pops up and says "Not connected to the internet. Please check your connection and try again." it has an OK button but that takes a minute or so until I am able to press it and exit the app. At first I thought something was wrong with my connection, but like I said I ran all the tests on the TV and all other apps work just fine.

My question to you, is there any way to force reinstall or downgrade your firmware? If not is there any way to force delete the Netflix app so I could reinstall it?

Well, thanks again for the reply and if you can come up with any solutions I will be grateful.

Have a good one,
RSOne

Collapse -
Thanks
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 11, 2010 1:52 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

RSOne,

Strangely, there isn't a way to re-up the widget. It appears to be built in around the Samsung Apps, and is integrated rather than an added widget - I think there are two that are integrated like that, and I don't have an answer as to why.

There's not a way that I'm aware of to downgrade the firmware, although the attempts are hit and miss. While in some cases it is possible, but I don't really advise doing that. If you want to reload the latest firmware, the "Exit button reset" should handle that.

If the network is giving you the four green checkmarks and other Apps work, it could be that the service is going through a change. Maintenance times, down times and server outages don't have a special "notification", so instead it notifies you that it's not establishing a connection with a generic message.

I noted your follow-up below. Possibly what may have changed is how the service is routed. Netflix just recently updated the interface and design of the App (which is a huge improvement, IMHO). It's a significant overhaul, so it may be that all the accounts on the older interface were marked for a transition. But I'll admit that this is speculation at best.

In short, I don't know why it wouldn't have worked immediately. But I'll keep my eye on the situation, and I'm glad that in the meantime you were able to get it working. If that changes, post back here and I'll see what I can do to assist.

--HDTech

Collapse -
I appreciate the reply....
by RSOne / November 11, 2010 11:46 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

So far so good have not had anymore issues. It now has the new interface and seems to be working flawlessly. If anything changes I will keep you up to date but for now just happy to have it back.

Collapse -
new update
by lmoran123 / November 9, 2010 4:39 AM PST

Hi downloaded the update to the tv and thanks be to God, everything is working

Collapse -
Congrats
by RSOne / November 9, 2010 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: new update

Glad you have it all sorted out, but unfortunately for me I already have the newest firmware. My Netflix was just fine before I installed it so hopefully they get another update soon or some other work around to get it functioning again.

Collapse -
May have spoke too soon
by lmoran123 / November 9, 2010 10:20 AM PST
In reply to: Congrats

Watched it all day today--went to turn it on and get error "can't connect you to the service."

Collapse -
May have spoke too soon
by lmoran123 / November 9, 2010 10:25 AM PST
In reply to: Congrats

Watched it today----turned it on tonight and another error message "Can't connect you to the network. Try again or cancel"

Collapse -
Unfortunate
by RSOne / November 9, 2010 12:47 PM PST

Sorry to here that it stopped working once again. I finally was able to get the new 001032 update directly on the TV, but after updating Netflix is still telling me that I cannot connect. Although a few more elements have popped up behind the try again/Exit prompt.

Collapse -
samsung tv and netflix
by lmoran123 / November 9, 2010 10:18 AM PST
In reply to: new update

my model is lcd LN40C670

LN40C670M1FXZA

Collapse -
Up and running again
by lmoran123 / November 9, 2010 11:10 PM PST

Reset router/modem and for whatever reason, it started working again. But for how long, who knows.

Collapse -
Nothing to do with your router/modem
by RSOne / November 10, 2010 5:57 AM PST
In reply to: Up and running again

My Netflix started working this morning as well, so it had nothing to do with your router/modem. I do not know if the Netflix app authenticates with Samsung before allowing you to connect to Netflix itself, or if the Netflix servers were having trouble. Although, I cannot see Netflix having trouble seeing as it worked just fine on the computer and my xbox360 in another room. So the only thing I can come up with is it has to authenticate with Samsung before you can connect maybe Samsung had issues with there end. I could be wrong, either way, I hope it continues to function without any more problems. We will see what happens!

Thanks Imoran123 for the status updates on your situation. I appreciate it!

Collapse -
(NT) samsung called today
by lmoran123 / November 11, 2010 1:18 PM PST
Collapse -
samsung called me
by lmoran123 / November 11, 2010 1:22 PM PST

told me it was there firmware update that so keep checking constantly on their tv menu for updates

Collapse -
I figured...
by RSOne / November 11, 2010 11:48 PM PST
In reply to: samsung called me

Glad Samsung finally got back to you and I am glad they fixed the issue with the firmware. Been enjoying Netflix on my TV the last few days again. Its a relief to have it up and running. It is used a lot in this house.

Thanks again for all the input.

Collapse -
How do I check for updates
by izakra / December 15, 2010 10:10 AM PST
In reply to: I figured...

I am still not able to connect. I get the same message "cannot connect to the internet..." How do I check for updates/firmware?

Collapse -
I have the same problem
by izakra / December 15, 2010 10:05 AM PST

My Netflix app is the only one not working. I contacted Samsung support and they claim that they are updating the system and to try it again in 24 hrs. But, seeing that everyone else is experiencing this, I'm beginning to doubt that it will be fixed in 24 hours. Please help!

Collapse -
Same Problem as well.
by wiredjhs / December 15, 2010 12:27 PM PST

This morning Netflix didn't work. But, Pandora did - we listened to Christmas music most of the day.

Late this afternoon, I tried all sorts of fixes - first was update of firmware from Samsung via USB drive. Still no luck. Then I tried the Exit Factory reset. Now Internet TV doesn't work at all. I have no apps. And, there's a message saying that with an Internet connection I could have all sorts of fun - and no apps are showing.

All of my network diagnostics work - the TV Internet Connection test works - and I can ping the TV from the network.

I have an LN55c650. Online chat with Samsung Support was of very little use - stated that there might be a server update going on and that I should try again tomorrow. For as much as I paid for this 'connected' TV, that's really not good enough. They need to server their customers better.

Little frustrated - any help would be great. Thanks.

Collapse -
Me too - same problem
by gerd_rausch / December 15, 2010 1:04 PM PST
In reply to: Same Problem as well.

Given that this is the 3rd entry happening on December 15th 2010,
I'm beginning to think that perhaps this is a server/service issue.

We'll know more by tomorrow (or not).

Anyway, having a generic error message like this to cover all sorts
of error scenarios and leave it up to the comsumer having to speculate
what the actual problem may be ... is ... well, not very consumer friendly
to say the least.

Collapse -
Follow-Up: Same Problem as well.
by wiredjhs / December 15, 2010 9:44 PM PST
In reply to: Same Problem as well.

Everything works this morning. Internet TV updated - and message appeared - Thanks for bearing with us during our scheduled Internet TV Outage.

My beef here is that - we weren't informed of a scheduled outage - and none of the error messages indicated that this was a provider problem rather than the TV going bad.

I expect more improvements to this service as it matures.

Collapse -
Follow-Up: Same Problem as well.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 16, 2010 9:24 AM PST

wiredjhs,

I saw several reports on this, and wanted to jump in.

There was a maintenance performed. I wasn't aware it was going to happen, so I apologize for the inconvenience. It should be back up and running for everyone today.

I will pass your comments upwards, and in the future, I will try to be notified if this happens.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Same Problem: Updated TV w 001032 firmware, no Netflix
by panchoreed / December 28, 2010 10:17 PM PST

I wish I had read this forum before updating the firmware on my TV (LN40C670), because now that I have, I am unable to get the Netflix app to connect. While still on the app menu, the Samsung connection wheel continues to spin with zero luck in connecting. Other apps appear to work/connect. Any thoughts? Sorry in advance if I missed the answer in the above thread. Thanks

Collapse -
hope this helps
by ak808 / December 2, 2011 10:26 AM PST

try this, go into the samsung apps where you can download different apps. open up netflix from there. worked for me but i still cant directly open netflix from the smart home screen

Collapse -
Possible Solution

In my experience with a BD-C5500 samsung player.
- Suddenly Netflix didn't work.
- All other apps on the blu-ray player work
- PC could connect to and stream netflix.

Collapse -
Still a problem
by Sylvie33 / December 24, 2012 6:58 PM PST
In reply to: Possible Solution

This thread was started in 2010 and I am now having the same problem with netflix. Just a screen that says "not connected to the internet" and it is now Dec 25, 2012. I just checked it again and now it is working. Maybe netflix should schedule maintenance or updates somewhere other than the major holidays?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.