Samsung forum

Question

Netflix and YouTube volume too low on smart tv

by FaySnow / May 13, 2012 12:12 AM PDT

Can anyone tell me why our Netflix and YouTube volume is so incredibly low? When we watch tv via the Comcast HD DVR, the volume is fine, but when we switch over to Netflix or YouTube we have to turn it up to 99%. We have a 46" Samsung smart tv model UN46ES6100F

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Netflix and YouTube volume too low on smart tv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Netflix and YouTube volume too low on smart tv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Wow I've dealt with this for 2 years!!!!
by Lulubholden / August 18, 2015 9:04 AM PDT

This was the same on my iPad and tvs. My newest TV is a vizio and I just searched and found this thread. My tv had a setting for "VOLUME LEVELING" and I turned it off and the volume went to normal levels. Before I couldn't hear movies on Netflix but other programs like stand up skits were normal.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Interesting Problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 14, 2012 5:36 AM PDT

Faysnow,

Can you tell me about the rest of your setup? Do you have a home theater system? Can you control the audio level for the DVR separately?

I ask this because the way the TV is designed, there are no separate audio controls for YouTube or Netflix. It's the same audio level for the rest of the TV. So there's something else in your setup that influencing this behavior.

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
volume
by boookal / July 8, 2012 12:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Interesting Problem

I know this is an old thread, but it's really the only one I've found with a search on the same subject. I have the same exact problem, except it's just Netflix. Normal TV watching via my DVR/cable box is somewhere between 15 and 25. I checked Youtube and a couple other apps I have and they are all a good volume around those same levels. When I watch netflix, I really need to turn the volume up to around 60-75 in order to hear it the same. I have a Samsung UN46D6300.

Collapse -
I asked...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 9, 2012 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: volume

boookal,

Thanks for your question, and don't apologize for bringing this back up. Since the volume level is fine when using your other equipment and even your other apps (presumably), then this would be a Netflix issue. I've used Netflix myself, and I notice vast changes in audio levels from program to program.

So I'm sorry, but there really isn't a 'fix' for this necessarily. I know that for audio on computers you can use software to keep the volume levels from changing so dramatically. This process is called audio normalization. We have no feature like that on our TVs, because they're not computers, as Bob Proffitt likes to point out.

Hope that helps clarify things for you.

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
Samsung and netflix volume
by FaySnow / July 9, 2012 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: volume

I did rectify the volume situation regarding netflix on my Samsung. I'm not near my tv right now by there are sound styles like music, movies, clear, etc. our tv had five or six of these. When I tried different ones, it really helped out the Netflix sound. I forgot to respond to say what I did to fix it. It's not perfect, but it's infinitely better! Let me know if that helped !

Collapse -
Thanks for FaySnow!
by hdiggity007 / January 29, 2013 2:46 PM PST

I set my audio setting to 'Amplify' and all is good now, without having to worry about and potentially blowing my speakers out b switching back of Netflix to my cable source.

Tools>Sound Mode>Amplify

Collapse -
Samsung forum: Netflix and YouTube volume too low on smart t
by Gdspencer1 / February 8, 2013 2:33 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for FaySnow!

Tried all above to no avail. Sound is still muffled and volume control is almost nonresponsive. I use my "tv ears". But that does not help others in the room.

Collapse -
is it problem with TV or Youtube & Netflix apps??
by Kailas684 / April 30, 2013 11:34 AM PDT

I am facing same issue with my new smart TV and with no home theater system - volume is audible only when it is @ 100. My laptop gives better volume than whose supposed to be replacement smart tv.

"I ask this because the way the TV is designed, there are no separate audio controls for YouTube or Netflix."
Sorry, but can a TV be designed with no volume? that's where we are going..

I have not yet tried with channels as set up box is in transit..! but overall, the volume level and adjustments are very bad, I have to close windows , fans - and keep volume at 70+ only then I can hear the voice. Addition to it, background effect sound is normal and at 60+ it is huge.. so all the time remote is in my hand and I am playing with volume control.

First I thought something wrong with my ears Happy but all my frnds checked and confirmed same - volume adjustments are not at all working! I tried all i can - if there is no solution to this genuine problem..Smart TV is going back to where it came from! Sorry!
<div>
</div>

Collapse -
low netflix volume
by fulflaps / March 24, 2014 2:31 AM PDT

Did you notice that the center surround channel is the one that is low and the left and right surround is normal?
Unless your device that is receiving the signal is set up for surround you will notice that the dialog (center channel) is low.
I use the Wii for my device plugged in to my flat screen and when the movie or program is broadcast is surround the dialog (center channel) is very low.

Collapse -
Answer
Netflix volume too low
by RobertSurfing / June 8, 2013 10:20 AM PDT

I'm having the same issue. have a Samsung 47" smart tv and the volume when streaming movies via Netflix is way low. I have to max out the volume on the tv to hear. Often even that is not enough. When I stream through my Sony DVD player (hdmi) Netflix app, the volume more closely approximates that of my other apps and my Cox cablebox/DVR (hdmi). When I stream from my computer (hdmi) it's fine also.

It seems likely it is a Netflix issue as that is where the sound originates but I don't know the app=>OS interface.

Netflix chat pretends they've never heard of the issue and to contact Samsung. Samsung (above) suggests it is a Netflix issue. Let's get the two of them to ... you know, talk to each other.

Collapse -
Netflix Volume Low
by Sewen76 / July 7, 2013 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Netflix volume too low

I'm experiencing same problem on Netflix. I have a Samsung 32" Smart TV. I do not have a home theater system, so I'm using the TV's speakers. I generally have my audio set between 25 - 35 on regular cable channels, and that is even sometimes loud. However on Netflix I have to bump up at minimum to 70 but often have to set to 100. I have noticed there can be wide differences on the programs I watch on Netflix. I can start a Netflix movie that requires me to set my audio to 100, then watch another one in the same day and the second movie only needs audio set to 70. So, I believe this is a Netflix specific problem. I did the same as an earlier poster and will change my audio setting to "Amplify" when using Netflix and that helps; but while watching "Adventures of Tintin" last night the audio was still unsatisfying. I sure hope this gets resolved.

Collapse -
Help! Streaming volume on 6350 too low
by AverySolo / July 13, 2013 11:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Netflix Volume Low

I am experiencing the same issue and it is extremely annoying... All cable volume is fine but when streaming I have to max out the levels. I have tried switching the audio type, amplify, movie etc and noting has resolved this problem. Mine is on amazon prime so definitely not a Netflix issue. Has anyone found a solution? Thanks much.

Collapse -
Netflix volume too low
by janiebird1962 / July 19, 2013 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Netflix volume too low

I'm having the exact same problem with Netflix. After watching a movie at or near 100 if I then stream music from Pandora I have to decrease all the way to 10 and under. There's got to be a fix. Is it the app?

Collapse -
Answer
volume issue with Netflix
by rovision / July 22, 2013 4:00 AM PDT

Same problem here. 60F7100 set.

IMO, it's Netflix that is to blame. Normal broadcasting requires around 10 on the volume scale. Watching TV shows on Netflix need to bump up volume to around 20 for decent volume. For movies, around 50 with very little change in volume between 10 and 50.
On other apps, like Vimeo, or YouTube, seems like around a 20 volume setting works OK.

Had my Sound preference set to Amplify, but recently changed to Movie for clearer sound overall.

Collapse -
Answer
Netflix volume issue fixed
by johngjones / July 23, 2013 8:36 AM PDT

Here is how I fixed this issues on a Samsung Smart TV:

Menu - Sound - Speaker Settings - Auto Volume set to Normal

I used to have to turn the volume up to 70 or 80 now I set it to around 20 or 30

Collapse -
this worked for me
by geoffvro / August 11, 2013 12:17 PM PDT

Setting the auto volume to normal solved this issue for me.

Collapse -
Thanks
by retiredbandman / January 16, 2014 11:45 PM PST

Just started Netflix yesterday and noticed the volume problem on our Samsung Smart TV. I was planning to cancel my subscription after the free trial because of this. However this solution fixed my problem. Thanks!

Collapse -
Volume too low
by Rlh1761 / January 17, 2014 8:53 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

One fix that seems to work for me is by adjusting the tv equalizer values at the middle frequency range to their highest level. Hopefully u have this feature. If not and u have a home theater system, this same fix could be applied. Remember just the middle frequency range is 300hz and 1khz range.

Collapse -
Netflix volume too low on Samsung Smart Tv model 50F 6400
by Aurasbob / April 1, 2014 11:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

In order to hear Netflix movies I have to turn volume up to 85-100 depending on movie and my auto volume is set to normal! Any new ideas?

Collapse -
Re: Netflix volume too low on Samsung Smart Tv model 50F 640
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 7, 2014 6:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
Oh Yeah!
by harriswb3 / July 22, 2014 6:12 AM PDT

This solution fixed it perfectly. Had volume up to 70 or 75...now 25 is way too loud. Also followed another piece of advice above setting the sound to "amplify". Not sure what either of those settings is supposed to do, but it worked and I'm a happy camper now.

Collapse -
Re: Oh Yeah!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 22, 2014 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh Yeah!

Hi harriswb3,

Glad to hear that. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
Answer
its not Netflix that's too low
by wpp105 / May 9, 2014 8:07 PM PDT

Most likely your cable box audio options give you a "line" or "RF" option. By selecting RF, 5.1 is converted to just left/right. The process results in a volume boost. Set it back to line.

Collapse -
Answer
Use TV Sound Controls
by snowabode / July 14, 2014 2:58 AM PDT

I used my remote and pressed Menu>Sound> changed the setting from Standard to Amplify. It corrected the issue!!

Collapse -
Answer
Netflix volumne too low
by roberthorg / December 4, 2014 12:10 AM PST

Using the Samsung TV controller, (not the Cable Box Controller)
Click Menu, Sound,Speaker Settings, Auto Volume, OFF and save
Click Menu, Sound, Digital Audio Out, Auto Delay, set to 140 save

Your Netflix movies should start at the same level as your current HD cable network volume setting

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove email address for spam protection on 12/04/2014 at 9:16 AM PT

Collapse -
Don't post your email in the clear.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 4, 2014 12:25 AM PST

Spammers love that. You do realise this post is more than 935 days old.
Dafydd.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.