TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Netflix and Panasonic Blue Ray??

by trosy29 / November 23, 2008 9:27 AM PST

Anyone heard if there is the possibility of a firmware being released to add Netflix streaming for the Panasonic BD35K Blu-ray player?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Netflix and Panasonic Blue Ray??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Netflix and Panasonic Blue Ray??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It sounded a bit weird.
by ahtoi / November 24, 2008 1:07 AM PST

Why would anyone want to stream video in a hardware player?

Collapse -
well..
by bearvp / November 24, 2008 2:46 AM PST

I believe a LG Blu-ray player already can and the Samsung players either already or are planning to be able to stream Netflix. There is obviously a market for it.

I have Netflix streaming on my Xbox 360 right now and with judging the picture quality with my "full green bar" connection, you are better off reserving the Netflix streaming to movies that you don't care about the technical qualities.

Collapse -
(NT) Is Netflix streaming in high def yet?
by RustyDallas / November 24, 2008 6:28 AM PST
In reply to: well..
Collapse -
yep
by bearvp / November 24, 2008 6:30 AM PST

I tried it out on my 360 but once your connection dips a little it will decrease the video quality to keep playing.

Collapse -
Hmmm...
by RustyDallas / November 24, 2008 8:31 AM PST
In reply to: yep

I wonder if it's the X-box or something inherent to Netflix. There's no such problem with Apple TV. The standard def is no better than network standard def but the HD is better than Time Warner cable HD. So, if they get the bugs out, I'd say the reason to get a player that could stream is for convenience.

Rusty

Collapse -
convenience is it...
by trosy29 / November 24, 2008 11:07 AM PST
In reply to: Hmmm...

That is exactly why I want to stream Netflix via my blu ray, convenience. Right now I am streaming Netflix through my laptop via HDMI to my TV which is just one more device I need to hook up through my home theater. Also, I can only set my screen resolution to what is supported via my video card in the laptop. (Not that good)

I know that there are some LG and Samsung Blu Ray players that do support streaming Netflix now. I just don't want to take back my Panasonic BD35 and pickup one of these because the BD35 is such a sweet blu ray player.

I know that right now, Netflix is just streaming in SD, but in the future, they will be able to stream in HD. I read that there are bandwidth issues with streaming in HD. I have also read that they will most likely start out adding HD Digital Audio, and then add HD Video.

If anyone has input to this topic or hears anything on Netflix teaming up with Panasonic to support streaming, your knowledge and info would be appreciated.

Collapse -
I guess high def streaming just rolled out...
by RustyDallas / November 24, 2008 7:24 PM PST
In reply to: convenience is it...

on Netflix because bear has tried it. Ran accross this article saying Xbox's were about to get an upgrade and be able to handle the job starting about now.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/29/hd-netflix-streaming-comes-to-xbox-360-first/

As bear reports, it sounds like there are still some bugs to be worked out. After they do, I bet you'll be very satisfied. Bandwidth wise, it can definately be done in 720P or 1080i because I-tunes is already doing it and the picture looks terrific through my Apple TV. There is no comparison between high def and standard def streaming I've watched through Amazon and I-tunes. The HD is far, far superior. I think being able to do high def, high quality streaming through your blu ray player is a great idea and that, after Netflix gets the bugs out, you'll really like it. I have noticed that through I-tunes, I can purchase and download a movie when it's first released to Blockbuster but, to stream for one time rental, I have to wait about two extra weeks before it's available. I suppoose that's a minor inconvenience if you must see it ASAP.

Rusty

Collapse -
It is Netflix
by bearvp / November 25, 2008 1:57 AM PST
In reply to: Hmmm...

The HD streaming issue I found is definitely on Netflix's end. I think their video quality vs internet speed calculator is too touchy and as soon as a dip happens it will re-calculate your video quality to a lesser quality. And once your internet speed returns to normal levels Netflix doesn't improve the quality, it just keeps it at the lower one.

I watched "The Thing" in HD on Netflix via my 360 and it started out looking good, about as good as it looked on the HD-DVD version I watched a while ago. But once it reduced the video quality, it looked really poor.

I think Netflix should have a slight waiting period to buffer more data so it isn't re-calculating the video quality right away. I don't have a crappy internet connection either, I have Comcast's 6Mbps option so that shouldn't be the issue.

Collapse -
Yea, that sounds right....
by RustyDallas / November 25, 2008 7:03 AM PST
In reply to: It is Netflix

Apple TV takes about 7 or 8 seconds to begin a 2 hour standard def movie but a 2 hour HD movie takes a little under a minute. Runs without a hitch and without the Netflix problems after that, though.

Rusty

Collapse -
Aren't you using the xbox as a computer?
by ahtoi / November 24, 2008 12:22 PM PST
In reply to: well..

Of course anything can be done IF there is a market for it. I just don't think there is a big enough market yet (if ever). The requirement for download is lot easily met than streaming.

By the way, how do you log into netflix for streaming (just curious)?

I stream Chinese movies but I was supplied with a device that connects to the Internet automatically and of course there's a monthly fee charged.

Collapse -
streaming on netflix...
by trosy29 / November 24, 2008 1:22 PM PST

If you have an specified account with Netflix, you just download a Netflix viewer and go to the Watch Instantly tab. They have about 12,000 movies for this option.

Collapse -
I'm wondering the same thing . . .
by Seanc / December 12, 2008 7:55 AM PST

I wish at least one of the 11 replies would have addressed the original question as I'm wondering the same thing. I AM buying the BD-35, but am wondering whether to get the ROKU for netflix streaming, or if there will be a firmware upgrade for the BD-35.
I'd hate to pay $100 for the ROKU and then be stuck with an extra
box if Panasonic decides to offer Netlix streaming.
I already subscribe to Netflix, and am not interested in the AppleTV product or fees.

No one has heard anything . . .

Collapse -
No netflix streaming in Panasonic BD 35
by manizkrishnan / December 15, 2008 7:16 AM PST

At present thr is no updates from Panasonic. I have BD 35 at home..I have netflix subscription. Panasonic & sony they dont have any plans to include netflix in their blue ray players. Sad

If you want both(Blueray playback and netflix straming) you better go for Samsung or LG...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.