Laptops forum

General discussion

netbook -SSD important feature? Best netbook?

by cathy246 / February 4, 2009 6:18 AM PST

Hi,

I have to get a netbook, I need something light I can take with me daily for reports, nothing fancy, checking email. When I was at Best Buy, the salesperson advised me to get one with a SSD, as they are less liable to skip if/when bounced around. I am willing to do this, several netbooks have them, just wonder if what he said was true. Also wonder opinions as to the 'best' netbook under $500, in terms of features, durability, ease of use.

Thanks,
Cathy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: netbook -SSD important feature? Best netbook?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: netbook -SSD important feature? Best netbook?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't buy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2009 8:25 AM PST

No netbook or laptop takes to bouncing around. Even with a SSD.

When you find an abusive user, don't supply them with netbook or laptop. The device will not last long!
Bob

PS. I own a Netbook. It's a fine thing.

Collapse -
There are advantages of SSD over HD and disadvantages
by orlbuckeye / February 4, 2009 11:16 PM PST
In reply to: Don't buy.

The biggest disadvantage is the price. Solid state costs are at leasyt 10 times the cost of a regular hard drive but prices are dropping. SSD drive use less power and run cooler. SSD are flash memory like your USB jump drives that are internal to your machine. Eventually SSD will replace todays hard drives because of the advantages I listed above. Right now you can get a 500 Gig Hard Drive for 100.00 and a 250 gid SSD drive will be over 800.00.

Collapse -
In other words what it costs for a
by orlbuckeye / February 4, 2009 11:18 PM PST

32 gig SSD drive you can get a 500 gig hard drive.

Collapse -
A Bit Misleading
by baggage1 / February 13, 2009 11:44 AM PST

32 gig SSD VS 500 gig HHD. I don't know what the form factor of the Netbook hard drives entail. I was under the impression they were of the 1.8 in. VS the 2.5 in. of regular Notebook size. If you back up important files and don't bump it too hard while it is working a regular drive should be the way to go.

Collapse -
90% of all Net book drives are 2.5"
by orlbuckeye / December 15, 2009 2:43 AM PST
In reply to: A Bit Misleading
Collapse -
Aspire One with Linpus
by 3rdalbum / February 14, 2009 5:14 PM PST

I'd recommend the Acer Aspire One with Linpus. It doesn't have any standout features, but it has a really good keyboard and trackpad, an 8gb SSD, and it's very quick to boot. It's easy to use as well.

Acer seems to have broken their version of Linpus so it won't allow new software to be installed; or, at least, mine had a broken package management system. I installed Ubuntu on it instead. If you find that you want programs that aren't on the preinstalled Linpus, and you have the same trouble that I did, rest assured that Ubuntu 8.10 works well on the Aspire One.

Don't install Windows XP. It has not been built for SSDs; it will give you poor performance and will accelerate the wear of your SSD. That's why all the Windows netbooks have hard disks.

Collapse -
Not true
by msgale / February 15, 2009 6:34 AM PST
In reply to: Aspire One with Linpus

Dell sells the Mini 9 with 8 or 16 GByte SSD drive and XP

Collapse -
Where out a SSD?
by ethbag / June 30, 2009 7:00 AM PDT

I'm not trying to argue, but how does an SSD wear out? My understanding is that since there are no moving parts their lifespan is incredibly long. Does constantly writing and re-writing data cause harm?

Collapse -
SSD lifespan is limieted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2009 7:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Where out a SSD?

No need to duplicate the web here but they are right and so are you. The SSD giveth and the SSD taketh. It is no panacea.
Bob

Collapse -
Stop worrying
by vestige / August 29, 2010 7:53 AM PDT

You're failing to take something into consideration. Most people use netbooks for very simple tasks?namely, surfing the Net and email. They're not designed to be anyone's main PC.

For this you don't need a 500-gig hard drive, any more than you need a big display, a quad-core processor, or a gaming video card (which is why netbooks don't have those things, and why they're so cheap).

Here on my desktop PC, which I've been using for several months now, my full system partition (including Windows 7 and its many files) has come in at just under 20 GB. I understand that Windows 7 even keeps copies of app installation files there---and I will have installed lots of apps I'd never need, or think of using, on a netbook.

For these reasons, I wouldn't hesitate to get a netbook with an SSD. The SSD's speed would also help compensate for the netbook's pokey CPU.

As for SSD's wearing out---it's hysteria. All hardware eventually wears out, even hardware with no moving parts (because of heat). But from all the research I've done, I've no doubt my desktop's SSD will be perking away long after I've replaced the spinning hard drives. Besides, who cares about keeping and using a netbook---or any PC, for that matter---for 6 or 7 years? Hardware and software change so quickly, it'll be like driving a Model T by then. (You may even be laughed at in public.)

Obviously, if you plan to load up your netbook with 100 GB of videos and MP3s, you wouldn't be considering one with an SSD anyway. So stop worrying. SSDs are great.

Collapse -
SSDs can be bad.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2010 11:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Stop worrying

I picked up a HP with SSD and it was the worst performance I ever witnessed.

MYTH -> "SSD means fast."

That's the myth. Don't help promote myths.
Bob

Collapse -
HP
by plastik892 / November 16, 2010 5:28 AM PST
In reply to: SSDs can be bad.

One experience is not enough to judge an entire field. And you got an HP, not exactly tops for QC.

Collapse -
Which way?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2010 7:52 AM PST
In reply to: HP

I've tried to share this both ways.

When I share the specs of lackluster SSDs I get responses such as "tell me about a personal experience."

When I share personal experience, I get a reply like yours.

--> Bottom line. SSD = Fast remains a myth.
Bob

Collapse -
SSD work fine with windows
by KBThomas / October 25, 2009 7:36 AM PDT

I purchased a Dell with a 250 SSD running 64 bit Windows Vista, and it run great....

Collapse -
12" Netbook 128GB SSD unter USD 900
by Peter Hastings / December 13, 2009 8:27 AM PST

Greetings everyone,

I am currently looking for a 12 inch Netbook with a 128GB SSD under USD 900.

The 10" netbooks always seemed a little too small for my taste (can't properly run Photoshop on them) and my MSI Wind with a 160GB HDD had eventually the same problem as my old laptop... after some 6 months of usage it got terribly slow in loading files and when having presentations at my clients it would sometimes take up to 10 minutes until the OS was up... Finally, after another trip to Venezuela, mit HDD crashed (it was pretty shaky over the Atlantic) and since then I have always been using SSDs.

I couldn't find any 12" Netbooks with 128GB SSDs neither on Ebay nor on Amazon.

The only site I found (recommended on some forum) was http://Capacityinnovations.com in Ireland which sold also 13 inch netbooks with SSDs and HDDs. The price was EUR 600 for the 12" which came up to roughly USD 900 (ok for me, since I value my files ;).

Has somebody dealt with these guys before?
Are there any other 12" options from ASUS or MSI are currently available for under USD 900?

Thanks for your advise, guys!

Collapse -
Another advantage of a SSD is because their are no moving
by orlbuckeye / December 13, 2009 8:36 PM PST

parts it can be read faster and if the OS is installed on it there will also be faster boot times.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.