Laptops forum

General discussion

Netbook for internet/HDTV streaming?

by kristikay22 / January 27, 2011 6:22 AM PST

Here's the story... we saved, waiting, researched and purchased our Macbook Pro this past summer. Love it. We use(d) it as our primary home computer. Just normal use... internet, documents, photos and so forth AND we used it to hook up to our HDTV HDMI ports and stream internet (Hulu, etc) to the TV. Easy Peasy.

2 weeks ago my adorable children played water-patty-cake with my laptop during my 20second trip to the bathroom. Estimated costs to repair: $1000... original purchase price? $1200 with our military discount. Uggh. So we're scrapping that for now. I'd buy another... but it's not in the budget. We're budgetted people - and maybe a year or so from now, we'll buy it again.

We have an old Toshiba that still functions as our home computer... hard drive, back up and all of that jazz. So we're not in NEED... but it's slow and not so cool Happy

I'm curious if there is an affordable netbook to patch us? For the portability options... internet and so forth... easy travel for videos with kids and such BUT I'd only be willing to purchase one IF it can also stream internet to our TV like the last one! We don't have cable and we like things that way... but we did enjoy using Hulu to keep up with a few things and having that as a resource!

Definitely going best bang for our buck here... any suggestions? Or should we just suck it up and save for the next real computer to purchase?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Netbook for internet/HDTV streaming?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Netbook for internet/HDTV streaming?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PS
by kristikay22 / January 27, 2011 6:32 AM PST

We aren't the techie-est of people... but we do alright :oP We don't need it to be constant 1080p kinda thing.... but I want it to be nice and play a full episode (such as NCSI from hulu or the network website) without pausing, hesitating, screwing up audio and video kinda thing?? I think i'm hoping for too much in a netbook... but hoping there's an option for us...)

Collapse -
Good you asked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2011 6:36 AM PST
Collapse -
We have a Wii
by kristikay22 / January 27, 2011 6:54 AM PST
In reply to: Good you asked.

Sorry for belaboring the discussion :oP I just joined the forum and thought I'd ask the people that "know" before I impulse-bought something quick and cheap for my husband's birthday!
We have our Wii set up - so we can stream our Netflix and such without any problems there! We're only missing out on the iternet options... as in the free ones that require no subscriptions? So that we can go to a webpage and view the video (straight from CBS or Hulu and so forth?)

I'd be juuust find with a low-end laptop. That doesn't bother me - I'm just not sure I can get the high-end media parts in a lower-end computer? And I don't wanna just waste money... we can do without until next year when we replace our family computer as well... I'm just whiney and sad my new Macbook is gone!!

Collapse -
HP Mini 311?
by kristikay22 / January 27, 2011 7:17 AM PST
In reply to: We have a Wii

HP Mini 311 seems to fit the build... hmmm...

Collapse -
Has the ION
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2011 7:50 AM PST
In reply to: HP Mini 311?
Collapse -
so what smaller laptops do you suggest?
by kristikay22 / January 27, 2011 10:45 AM PST
In reply to: Has the ION

I like that one. I like the idea of the HD mini...
What would be your other small laptop options, just to compare? Here is the deal - I do NOT want to pay $600 for a middle of the road laptop...
I will most likely replace our home computer with another Mac (sorry for the mac haters...) when the time is right -- but we have other financial goals for now, so blowing it on a fast computer just isn't right for us. So maybe a year from now we'll do that. In the meantime -- we are just a normal family doing mostly family things via computer. We're not gamers... but we do talk to family back home (we're an Air Force family) via skype! We do love our videos and pictures -- but we can load those onto our Toshiba and our back-up hard drive... so no loss there.

We do miss the easy internet - portability around the house... and our internet computer to HDTV via HDMI. If a laptop is cheap and does those things better, so be it. I'm not sold that I need to have the super tiny netbook... I'd just like to pay for a computer that does good internet and video - and not put $ into anything else for now.
I'm really thinking the $300 range. The more you add on and upgrade - the more it just doesn't make sense to purchase anything at all right now (for us!)

Collapse -
What I like
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2011 10:57 AM PST

Are Core i3 or i5 machines with 4GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit with nice displays. Your choice on the size machine but for budget let's stick with the i3.

A recent discussion found a nice i3. Let's check that out.

http://www.staples.com/Acer-Aspire-AS5742Z-4685-15.6-Laptop/product_904078?cmArea=SC3:CG71:DP4118:CL161747

Yes that's your more common 15 inch but it's very close or better than my Lenovo Y530 which plays Hulu and more with no trouble.

Be sure to try the Cnet Laptop Forum top post to find more ideas.

--> I'm glad you didn't go get your average netbook. I've lost count of folk that did that and write back about the Hulu to HDTV issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Acer?
by kristikay22 / January 27, 2011 11:07 AM PST
In reply to: What I like

Any budget friendly models? The mac world is easier because the options are slim. LOL
Acer seems very budget friendly?? I do get pretty good discounts with Dell, but I haven't seen anything impressive in the budget department...

Collapse -
I have to guess here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2011 12:41 PM PST
In reply to: Acer?

The Acer with the i3 is budget friendly and has all the right stuff to avoid regret at under 499.
Bob

Collapse -
Two HPs.
by WindowsTeam_Kevin / January 27, 2011 2:35 PM PST
In reply to: I have to guess here.

I think there are two cost efficient HP's you'd like.

The first is $679 its the HP Pavilion DV6-3153NR Notebook. For your movies on the go you get HD BrightView LED display, intuitive one-touch controls, built-in Wi-Fi, and AMD Phenom? II processor. Defintely a lot of bang for your buck. Here are some more specs: Processor2.6 GHz AMD Phenom(TM) II Dual-Core Mobile Processor P650RAM6 GB DDR3 Storage640 GB HDD 5400 RPM

There's also the HP Pavilion dv-6z for $679 as well. These are fairly comparable, this one has a bigger, brighter screen. Here are its specs - Screen15.6" (1366x168) HDProcessor2.6 GHz AMD Phenom(TM) II Dual-Core Mobile Processor P650 (2.6GHz, 2MB L2 Cache)RAM6 GB DDR3 1333 MHzStorage640 GB HDD 5400 RPM.

What do you think? Both are small and fairly lightweight too. I don't think you can go wrong with either of these.

Kevin
Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
Acer TimelineX
by kristikay22 / January 28, 2011 12:23 AM PST
In reply to: Two HPs.

Thanks for your suggestions. Those are budget friendly - but not quite as budget-friendly as we're looking for Happy
If I were getting a new laptop replacement for now... and wasn't going to spring for my Macbook - I'd get the Toshiba Portege R705-P35 (and it has REALLY peaked my interest...)

But for the moment - I'm strongly considering Acer TimelineX 11.6 inch model...

Collapse -
Ready to buy...
by kristikay22 / January 30, 2011 2:27 AM PST
In reply to: Acer TimelineX

Ok... I think I have it narrowed down. I may start a new thread since the whole netbook idea is out the window!

Requirements: at least an i3, as much speed as possible, prefer up to N wireless internet, portable (doesn't have to be 2lbs LOL but not over 5lbs) NO bigger than 14in screen. 13 in is what we had and loved and I think 11.6 would work although I can't find one in stores to compare to. HDMI is a must. This will be used to stream internet TV to our HDTV - keep that in mind. 2GB is fine... we don't need it for storage per say - just for functioning speeds? Make sense?
Last one - I'm NOT spending over $600....
I've mostly focused on Acer. I haven't looked at Lenovo at all but see they're having a big sale... I'm so exhausted with looking at all the specs on this model verses that... so I'm depending on YOU folks that know FAR more than me to help! :oP

Acer TimelineX AS3820T-13.3in
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZUXWX4/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Acer TimelineX AS1830T 11.6"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N3GGO0/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Acer TimelineX 1830 ll.6"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003RC0AYO/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A33Y0YQUZ2NYD5

I prefer the cheaper... simply because it's cheaper Happy But - if there is a good reasy to spring for the others - point that out to me please!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.