Phones forum

General discussion

NET10

by Big Steve / June 11, 2008 1:55 PM PDT

Is NET10 a good prepaid cell phone company to deal with? Anyone have any experiences to share about NET10? Customer service good or not? Phone coverage good or not? Prepaid phones by LG good or not?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NET10
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NET10
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Friends, family, we went with
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2008 8:35 PM PDT
In reply to: NET10

Tracphone. Not as smooth activation as it could be but it works and at 75 bucks a year (we bought the cheap phone and 2 years) for the phone that rides in the car it was the answer. Coverage seems fine here.

Collapse -
Re: Friends, family, we went with
by Big Steve / June 12, 2008 12:01 AM PDT

Thanks for the post.

Collapse -
Re: Friends, family, we went with
by Big Steve / June 12, 2008 12:21 AM PDT

Which make and model phone did you select with Tracphone? Did you purchase your service directly from Tracphone or someone like Wal-Mart? I just checked Wal-Mart.com and they offer Tracphone in a few models. One by Motorola, a flip phone which looks pretty good, a model V170.

Collapse -
The 6 to 20 dollar model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2008 12:43 AM PDT

Its in the car so I'll decline to fetch it. These are sold all over such as Family Dollar, Radio Shack, Wallymart and too many other places for me to list. Remember we just want the thing to ride in the car for that reason its not something we care about looks.

Collapse -
Re: The 6 to 20 dollar model.
by Big Steve / June 12, 2008 1:29 AM PDT

I just need a phone for emergency use only, probably wouldn't talk more than 30 minutes a month. I've been reading some posts on a website called prepaidreviews.com and as with all sites there was good and bad said about Tracphone, someone recommended Net10 to me last night, and someone else recommended AT&T pay as you go.

I had been using a phone by Sprint which my brother had taken out under a contract more than 2 years ago at a cost of $49.99 a month for 450 minutes, I never talked more than 30 minutes a month, I had to go somewhere the other day and tried to use it but couldn't.

When I tried to make a call a message came on telling me I was on the American Roaming Network and was given the option of either making a call with a major credit card or calling someone collect so I called my brother's office in Texas collect, three times before they agreed to accept the charges.

The girl in the office wanted to know why I was calling collect, I told her I was having to call her collect because I couldn't make any calls myself and wanted to know why, she couldn't tell me. I told her once I got back to the house I'd find out why which I did.

My brother had the phone turned off but didn't bother to tell me about it. It was his phone, he paid the bill and he could do it but I would have liked to known about it before he went ahead and did it.

The whole situation didn't set well with me so I decided that day to plan to get some kind of a prepaid phone for emergency use only myself and plan to send him his Samsung tin can sounding Sprint phone back and tell him to keep it.

What's ironic about that situation was as was told to me by Sprint customer service the other day, a call was placed to Sprint on May 20, 2008 to deactivate the phone, on June 10, 2008, the day I attempted to use it was the day the phone got turned off.

It got turned back on the next day, a new $29.99 a month plan replaced the old plan, the new plan has 200 minutes a month but since it could happen again I've decided to get my own phone but without the hassles of a contract since I won't be using the phone that much, just for emergencies only. Would Wal-Mart or Wal-Mart.com be a good place to purchase a prepaid phone? They'd stand behind it if something happened to it or would they?

Collapse -
Why not cheap?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2008 1:38 AM PDT

Family Dollar had this for under 10. So after that you add the minutes you want on the web site and you're done. I find some want to analyze such to no end. So I'll end here and tell you ours and family, friends are just fine.

Collapse -
Re: Why not cheap?
by Big Steve / June 12, 2008 2:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Why not cheap?

Well for one there's not a Family Dollar near me, I've never heard of them until now. Glad you have one and good bye.

Collapse -
(NT) Hope it helped. Happy shopping.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2008 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Why not cheap?
Collapse -
(NT) Hope it helped. Happy shopping.
by Big Steve / June 12, 2008 5:19 AM PDT

Yea. What would help me more would be another website where the operators of a specific website rate the different prepaid services instead of having to read hundreds of posts written by flaky people who use the different prepaid services.

Collapse -
Let me give it 10 for what I use it for.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2008 10:38 AM PDT

10 for coverage where I live.
And 2 for activation, adding minutes as I had to call in to get it done vs. easy web activation.

Collapse -
Re: Let me give it 10 for what I use it for.
by Big Steve / June 12, 2008 6:58 PM PDT

Are you giving Tracphone a rating of 10 or Net10 a rating of 10? How much do you average spending on a monthly basis for your prepaid minutes? Do your unused minutes roll over into the next month or not?

Collapse -
My unused minutes never expire.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2008 9:42 PM PDT

I won't compare to the Net10 since no one I knows owns one. Sorry but I thought I shared what we use this phone for and why I thought it was a good deal. You seemed to want a 1-10 rating so I obliged. I have minutes from the initial purchase over a year ago (repeating myself in case you missed it.)

Let's calculate my monthly cost.

Phone = 10 bucks.
1st year 100 bucks.
2nd and third year = 150 bucks.

OK that's 260 divide by 36. I get $7.22 a month. How much cheaper could it get?
Bob

Collapse -
Steve, read link
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2008 11:19 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Steve, read link
by Big Steve / June 14, 2008 3:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Steve, read link

I read it but since I've never done any text messaging nor do I plan to do any I guess Net10 would be the better choice than Virgin Mobile which I too read on another board has confusing plans and if you're not careful can end up ripping you off. Right now I've narrowed my selection down to either Tracphone or Net10. Tracphone has a few phones by LG. Do you know if LG phones are any good? Thanks for the post.

Collapse -
We're at 1.5 years on the 10 dollar phone.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2008 4:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Steve, read link

Seems fine. But remember it lives in the car in the center stowage connected to the power that is there. Total minutes used is about 30 in 1.5 years. Just super for what it's there for.

And it's the only cell phone we have outside the Treo 650 that is loaned to me since I test my software on that.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: We're at 1.5 years on the 10 dollar phone.
by Big Steve / June 14, 2008 4:39 AM PDT

I guess that's good but the next time you're in the car fetch the make and model number on your phone and pass it along to me. Nothing to say about LG phones? No experience with any LG phones? Thanks for the post.

Collapse -
It's a Motorola TFC139B
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2008 4:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: It's a Motorola TFC139B
by Big Steve / June 14, 2008 4:53 AM PDT

Thanks. I hope you didn't have to go to too much trouble to "fetch" that information. Thanks for the post.

Collapse -
net10 history
by retsd / January 20, 2010 1:21 PM PST

I reveived a phone just after the warranty perion expired the phone failed to charge.
Notified net10 why I had not kept my account active, their response was only an apology for my trouble

What more should I have expected?

Collapse -
*** Do NOT Buy NET10 ***
by boostvt / December 10, 2010 9:21 AM PST
In reply to: net10 history

I too had a serious problem with my phone's software/firmware and Net10's response was 'Sorry, buy a new phone'.

APPARENTLY, my phone randomly stopped calculating minutes properly (first time I've ever heard of that). So according to Net10, I used over 1,000 minutes and only paid for 300. NOT TRUE - No way in the world I used 1,000 minutes or anything close to that... I didn't even use 300!

So one day, my phone stopped working and gave me a message to contact customer service. I did... after about 30 minutes I was told the above. I requested a new phone or a refund of my unused minutes... OR PROOF of my call log or something. So they 'transferred me' to a supervisor. After sitting on hold for an hour or so, I hung up.

I followed the call up with an email to the company. They responded in the exact same manner. I've filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and will be active on forums regarding their utter lack of customer service. Horrible!

Here's their response to me:
"Thank you for your interest in NET10 Wireless. We are responding to your recent inquiry.

We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with this issue.

Thank you for the feedback, however we will not reactivate your phone again as it was using units you have not purchased. We are not asking to pay for those minutes, that is why the service has been discontinued.
Please note that There will not be refunds or replacements phones sent because of this.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact our Corporate office at 1-800-876-5753. For your convenience, our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 09:45 PM EST.

Thank you for being a NET10 Wireless customer. We appreciate your business.

Sincerely,

Executive resolutions Management
NET10 Wireless, Inc."

Collapse -
Net10 customer Service
by russellw2011 / February 14, 2011 10:20 AM PST

I ordered a net10 phone on Thursday, February 10 for overnight service at a cost of 14.95. They said I missed the deadline for overnight service which expired at 3:00 pm EST. I accepted that. Since I had already paid for express service, I expected to at least receive my phone the next business day, which was two days from what would have been overnight delivery. They said I would receive my phone the following monday, instead of Friday. I have yet to even receive a tracking number. I called again and they said I should have received a tracking number by now, and they would investigate the situation and call me back with the results. i still have not heard from them and I have not received my phone. So basically they have taken my money and have not delivered. It is now Monday evening and I have not heard anything from them. It is difficult to speak with a real person at customer service, but I find this a problem with most prepaid service. I would not recommend them

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.