Computer Help forum

General discussion

Neither Windows 7 or Chrome works

by jwmfsi / October 14, 2010 11:03 PM PDT

I have a PC using Windows XP Home edition

Some time ago Windows 7 quit working. I downloaded Firefox and it works. I have since downloaded Chrome and it will not work.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Neither Windows 7 or Chrome works
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Neither Windows 7 or Chrome works
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you clarify?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 14, 2010 11:12 PM PDT

- On what machine (the working XP Home, or the not working 7) machine does Firefox work?
- On what machine (the working XP Home, or the not working 7) machine does Chrome not work?
- What exactly does "not work" mean?
- What exactly does "quit working mean" and what is the relation with Chrome?

Collapse -
More importantly, how old is this PC?
by LucJPatenaude / October 15, 2010 12:05 AM PDT

Do you have enough RAM for a drastic upgrade to Win.7?

Was your Bios Flashed with a newest version possible to that PC's mainboard?

Were the drivers for all of your hardware parts updated to their most advanced, possible availabilities?

Did you consider replacing that PC with a newer one, instead? Sometimes upgrading is twice the price of a new one.

Upgrading from a dinosaur PC is quite the feat. Headaches are continuous living conditions for people refusing to gradually updating and upgrading their current PC.

Collapse -
Seems all irrelevant.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 15, 2010 12:12 AM PDT

What I get from the original post: Chrome doesn't work in XP. Firefox does. That makes talking of Win 7, not enough RAM, not the most recent BIOS and not the most recent drivers replacing or upgrading the PC irrelevant. Please stay on-topic.

Collapse -
Seems all irrelevant
by jwmfsi / October 15, 2010 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Seems all irrelevant.

Exactly my thoughts.

It is an older PC maybe 5 or 6 years old, but Windows 7 was working just fine until it quit one day. That's when I downloaded Firefox which works and I just yesterday downloaded Chrome but that does not work. By "not working" i mean it will not connect to the internet

Collapse -
Not really much information.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 15, 2010 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Seems all irrelevant

Let's see what's missing.

- Any mention of Windows XP (which you talked about in your original post)
- What "it quit" means and what you did then
- What Chrome does do, if it doesn't connect to the Internet (say, abort or give some error message). Can you view an html-page on your hard disk with it?
- If a firewall may be blocking Chrome?

Collapse -
May I also ask...
by MDFlax / October 16, 2010 6:07 AM PDT

jwmfsi in your first post you said that Windows 7 quit working and you downloaded Firefox.

I might be reading it wrong but it seems as if the Windows 7 OPERATING SYSTEM failed, so you downloaded Firefox. I'm not sure I understand the connection.

Does this machine have a 'dual boot' system of Windows 7 and Windows XP? If so, which one still works?

What happened when Windows 7 quit? How did it quit and what error messages?

As Kees, says, does Firefox still work?

Contrary to what LucJPatenaude says, Google's Chrome is compatible with Windows XP, but only from SP2 onwards. What Service Pack is installed on this XP operating system?
Google Chrome System requirements.

Collapse -
Nonetheless, it probably was beta version 6.x.
by LucJPatenaude / October 16, 2010 6:30 AM PDT
In reply to: May I also ask...

That person will have to uninstall that ex-beta version and, install beta version 7.x as of October 13 of this year.

The developers found numerous bugs and fixed them thoroughly. I never felt the slightest of hiccups from it. It also auto. upgraded itself just by using it frequently.

That person needed to upgrade all main drivers and its bios of this aging machine in order to have a proper upgrade to Win.7. Sometime, a clean install is necessary. Look on the back of the packaging box of the Win.7 upgrade edition for confirming what I just typed, here.

Collapse -
Until we know more
by MDFlax / October 16, 2010 6:33 AM PDT

Until we know more your advice is not anything I or my colleagues would offer.

Collapse -
May I also ask.....
by jwmfsi / October 16, 2010 10:48 AM PDT
In reply to: May I also ask...

I am so sorry, but I have unintentionally misled you. I know I said it, but I did not mean Windows 7 had quit. I do NOT have Windows 7. I am using Windows XP, the Home edition. What I meant and should have said is that Internet Explorer 7 had stopped working. That is why I installed Firefox which works, but I don't like it, and why I also installed Chrome which does not work. By not "working" I mean that when I click on any link or icon to open either IE7 or Chrome neither of them will connect to the internet.

Very sorry,

Collapse -
Re: browsers
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 16, 2010 9:15 PM PDT
In reply to: May I also ask.....

So now we have:
- If you run Firefox, it will work.
- If you run IE7 it won't connect to the internet.
- If you run Chrome it won't connect to the internet.

Knowing what some program does NOT do is much less interesting then knowing what it DOES do. Like giving a specific error message.

- in Control Panel>Internet Options, go to the Advanced tab and press Reset to reset everything to it's defaults. Does that make a difference?
- make a new Windows user and try both these programs there. Do they work?
- download IEFIX from . Does it help if you run that?
- maybe your firewall is blocking Chrome? Did you check?

And, of course, what is it that you don't like in Firefox? And why do you think you'll like Chrome?

Collapse -
by jwmfsi / October 29, 2010 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: browsers

It's been a few days since your post and I hope I am not too late. The problem is not on this PC, but rather on another PC at a different location and I just got back over there yesterday. Nothing happens when trying to acccess the intrnet using either IE or Chrome. The tabs at the top say "connecting" but they never do. Yesterday, I had Firefox open and received a message to upgrade to a newer version. I installed the upgrade and now Firefox will not open. When I try to open it I get this message which may be the source of the problems with the other browsers.

"The Proxyserver is refusing connections

Firefox os configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections.

.check the proxy settings to make sure that they are correct

.contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working"

#1 I am not on a network (that I am aware of anyway)
#2 I have no idea what a proxy server is or how to check the "proxy settings"

Collapse -
As my October 16th post pointed out:
by LucJPatenaude / October 30, 2010 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Browsers

Will disconnect if Google's server auto detects a non-reliable and, unstable proxy connection.

Plus, you will have to make sure that this, other machine, has a reliable Internet Service Provider(I.S.P.) for a proper and continuously auto.-connected(always on) of a broadband cable connection. Check if the modem does not need to be replaced by a much newer and more reliable one(free of charge from the I.S.P., usually).

Good Luck at fixing this odd unstability event.

Collapse -
Eliminate the Proxy server ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 30, 2010 4:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Browsers

This first link tells you how in Firefox and you should try setting it to No Proxy.

For Internet Explorer open the Control Panel and select the Internet Options applet. now select the Connections tab and then select the LAN Settings button at the bottom. Make sure everything is unchecked and OK your way back to the desktop.

For Chrome right click the Chrome Icon on your desktop and in the Properties on the line labeled Target where it shows the Path to Chrome.exe you simply add a blank space then --proxy-server= (it will read something like \Chrome\Application\chrome.exe --proxy-server= )

now all three should work if the rest of their internet configuration is correct.

Collapse -
For Chrome this page might ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 30, 2010 4:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
Say that you are using the first version of XP.
by LucJPatenaude / October 16, 2010 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Seems all irrelevant

Your machine is about to completely shut-down permanently anytime soon enough.

Google Chrome is way too new for such ancient O.S. and requires the latest driver for your RJ-45 LAN port to connect properly. Will disconnect if Google's server auto detects a non-reliable and, unstable proxy connection.

The latest version of Google Chrome is only compatible with Vista SP2 and Win.7+updates/upgrades.

Hope that clears up the fog of lack of knowledge.

Collapse -
Sorry to say ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 16, 2010 9:09 PM PDT
Collapse -
by wyboojer / October 16, 2010 10:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry to say ...

For what it is worth, I have Win XP home edition with sp3 on my desktop .Although the OS is old the pc is less than 2 years old and I have been putting off buying Win7 until XP didnt work so well anymore.I recently downloaded both firefox and Chrome without any problems. Both function well and are much faster than IE8 which is my default browser. In the past week ,however, something has happened which affected both IE8 and Outlook Express.
A. On IE8 my desktop shortcuts to websites wont open without first showing me the box which requires me to say which program i want to open them with...checking the box...always use this program...doesnt work.
B. On OE I cant open attachments or hot links embedded in email messages.

I dont really like Firefox of Chrome, only because i havent educated myself on how to use them as much as i need to.

I want to buy Win 7 but cant figure out whether my current WinXp OS is a 32 or 64 bit system. I want to buy the 64 bit version so i can use all 4gb of my memory,but i cant find the info anywhere including the Win7 compatibility adviser.Any thoughts appreciated. Im not a technical computer person except for fixing my own for the last 10 years by trial and error.Thanks.

Collapse -
Re: Windows 7
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 17, 2010 4:04 AM PDT

YOu can't upgrade (technically) from XP to 7. It needs to be a clean install. So it doesn't matter at all if your current XP is 32-bit (likely) or 64 bit (unlikely), since it's totally overwritten.

For your problems with IE I suggest using System Restore back to more than a week ago as the first try.

Collapse -
There. Now, we have info. to work with here.
by LucJPatenaude / October 18, 2010 3:42 PM PDT

You should have never installed an unsupported O.S. to that very new machine. In your instruction booklet of the mainboard you purchased. Check if it was made for XP(all editions) or not. Chances are, not.

My own machine of 2 years of age came, all pre-assembled, from Acer Canada. Vista was auto. pre-installed onto it's HDD. Went onto's Support page for drivers and, possibly a newer Bios for it. I got two Bios upgrades ever since. A window was telling me the model type of such machine and what it can support as of Windows' Operating Systems. Saw a big, bad, red X where XP was written. Two green checks for both Vista and 7.

So, even for a value type of PC, XP is not an option, for this one. A mere Dual Core 2.5Ghz of a processor die of a model. Notifying you that if you do so, anyway, will probably damage its mainboard and the rest of the entire hardware within the case of that new generation of machines.

Conclusion, machines made from 2007 and up, no XP MCE 2005 and older.

Have a nice week everybody! Plain

Collapse -
by peterrossy / October 18, 2010 6:56 PM PDT

I use window 7 and chrome
it works perfectly,
my advise is to try download your chrome again and reinstall it

Collapse -
"Chrome is only compatible with Vista SP2 and Win.7"- Nope
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 19, 2010 1:26 AM PDT

Please see the link below.. You'll see the download button indicates "Windows XP, Vista and 7" are all supported.

And this one which shows only SP2 on XP is needed:

And as to your statement: "Your machine is about to completely shut-down permanently anytime soon enough." Such a statement is incorrect as well. Where did you come up with such an idea?.. Windows XP SP3 will be fully supported till 2014, if not later.. Even a first edition version of XP won't "shut-down" until something fails on the system such as hardware, etc. Although not the case here, I've got a few customers who have built new computers in the last couple of years and installed the first version of XP so they can keep their systems simple and run games.. Apparently, it's faster without the service packs, etc.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.