Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Resolved Question

NEEDED security suite for Win/7

by slamina / June 22, 2013 7:01 AM PDT

I just recovered from a malware and trojan virus which corrupted my user acct.. I've spent the last 3 days with Microsoft C.S. reps.. We did a complete restore and clean up. There went $149.00 but I was desperate.
I am without any security right now and I've been searching download.com for the best all in one antivirus, spam, malware and firewall program.

I do mostly messaging from I.E. 9.0. also, banking, selling, and facebook. I learned I have no "security processor loader driver" while i was in safe mode doing troubleshooting.

Any helpful suggestions for a security (suite) for my activites, would be greatly appreciated..

slamina has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NEEDED security suite for Win/7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NEEDED security suite for Win/7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by slamina

Collapse -
Do a search for antivirus on Amazon
by wpgwpg / June 22, 2013 7:13 AM PDT

If you go to Amazon and do a search for antivirus, you'll see a comprehensive list, but you should check with your Internet Service Provider to see if they provide a free one. I'm using the Norton Security Suite that I get free from Comcast, and I'm pretty sure other ISPs have similar deals. Norton and McAfee are probably the most popular ones, but there're numerous others, as you'll see if you do that search. There's no one "best", and no one's perfect, so it's more a matter of personal preference and price than anything else. I've used the free AVG for years and been happy with it until I switched to the Comcast supplied suite about 18 months ago.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Medicom ISP
by slamina / June 22, 2013 8:55 AM PDT

Thanks, I will see what my ISP has.

And.. thanks for your suggestions.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: security suite
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 22, 2013 7:11 AM PDT

You'll find this useful: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369749,00.asp

Spam, however, has little to do with security. It's more of nuisance that you get 2 mails a day about your Internet banking needing confirmation (that's practically all I get) than a security thread, as long as you don't click on any link.

Anyway, it's good to have security software.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Plenty today for free.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2013 7:13 AM PDT

But I don't use a suite but a collection and the biggest security item is me. I decide to click on the links, run this or block this or that.

-> Your post reminds me of the folk I see getting into Personal Computers today. They think a "protection suite" should stop the bad stuff. Nothing is further from the truth as you have folk falling for "your Flash player is out of date, click here and install this."

While what the moderators tend to use is noted in other posts my question to you is simple.

Did or do you expect today's suites to stop all exploits?

Bob

Collapse -
suites are not all the answer... no
by slamina / June 22, 2013 8:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Plenty today for free.

There is really so much to learn about computers and I admit I have a long way to go. I never blame anyone but myself for nasty trojans and malware. The last 4 months I've been in a whirlwind of financial issues, pre-foreclosure and now getting house ready to sell. I am not one to multitask with good promising results.

I let a friend use my computer last month to download his Kaspersky PURE 3.0 and found out a week ago that the program was not compatible. He had XP and I have 7. I trusted him as a friend in saying he knew what he was doing. That again was only a fault of my own.

I never open anything I do not recognize or trust and then I will run a scan on it. I let Windows update do it's thing. It is hard for folks who don't have the experience to know about the bad stuff and how and where it comes from. Computing is getting more and more complex and so many hackers. It's a matter of time and experience which is not to blame the OP for.

Collapse -
So here's what I have on this PC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2013 9:02 AM PDT

Mind you that given my own protection is in place I have this Windows 8 laptop so.

1. Antivirus. I'm letting Windows 8 Windows Defender do that work.
2. Firewall. Deep subject area but as I'm behind a router, that is your inbound firewall and I set the Windows Firewall to do the outbound announcements.
3. Spy/malware. I scan with the usual MalwareBytes and SAS.
4. Browser add ons. Web Of Trust and AdBlock+

Hope this helps,
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.