Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Need Windows XP

by vtac1 / December 23, 2012 12:05 AM PST

My HP laptop crashed,it turned out to be a bad hard drive.I did not back up,I know bad.Now I have no Windows xp to reinstall.Will Microsoft give or I guess sell me a windows xp to install.Since my original was a legal copy,I dont understand why I cant get another free.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If you can get an XP install disc,
by wpgwpg / December 23, 2012 12:18 AM PST
In reply to: Need Windows XP

and you have the COA key, you could use that to reinstall. You need an XP install disc of the same version (e.g. Home Premium, Pro, Ultimate) as what you had installed. If you want/need to buy a disc, Amazon has them starting at $75. See this link
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=%22windows%20xp%22
I don't think MS is selling XP any more because they seem to think Windows 8 is the answer for everything. To say I strongly disagree with that philosophy would be an extreme understatement! Grin Good luck.

Collapse -
Just a couple of minor points
by Jimmy Greystone / December 23, 2012 3:21 AM PST

Just a couple of minor points:

1: There was only an XP Home and Pro sold retail
2: Microsoft isn't selling XP anymore because all support for it stops next year -- it's a 10 year old OS with a LOT of shortcomings under the hood which have been slowly, but steadily, addressed by Microsoft in Vista onward

Collapse -
I bought my XP 64 bit at retail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2012 3:27 AM PST

Fry's ? Long time ago but it was "retail."

I don't suggest XP to anyone that asks. It's one of those OSes where if they ask, they are not ready.

Some folk burst into flames over that. Another sign they are not ready to use XP.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
No. Microsoft will not give you XP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2012 3:30 AM PST

Take a chance and go to HP.com and find your laptop. See if there is a replacement OS order page and if you are very lucky (so lucky that every lotto ticket you buy wins!) then HP can get you replacement media.

If not, you should chalk it up to the old lesson about backup of what we can't lose and explore ebay, newegg, amazon for XP cds and more.

Frankly I'd install Linux and shop for a new laptop.
Bob

Collapse -
Need Windows XP
by vtac1 / December 23, 2012 11:05 PM PST

Wow,tried a long shot and it worked.Had no back up,had no repair disc,had no bootable disc(I know dumb).I had a repair disc from my desktop with Windows 7.So I said what the heck and put it in my dead laptop.Well it booted,of course could not do much with it,BUT it gave me a DOS prompt.With that I called up "disc part"I made "D"drive bootable.Booted up on D drive and restored Windows XP.Everything working fine.Thanks everyone for help.

Collapse -
(NT) Time to buy a Lotto ticket!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2012 11:28 PM PST
Collapse -
Install Linux??
by shafiqkhan31 / January 6, 2013 7:26 PM PST

i installed Ubuntu and found it unfathomable to get it to work for my daily use. There is help but you need to be quite knowledgeable to make it work. I strived some time but had to come back to XP. Sorry Sir, but that is my experience.
I had lost my XP original.I bought one from the sources mentioned above. Once I loaded the bought disc it worked well, As soon as I loaded then I found my missing xp disc. I have not bothered to load it.
Although I have issues with loading Service Pack 1 & 2. The service pack 3 was one the disc I bought. So I have SP3 but not others.
My guess is that SP1 & 2 do not matter if you have an anti virus installed. My XP is working fine though I am still struggling to find all the Drivers and especially those of your older applications and cards.
I hope it helps someone.

Collapse -
Drivers are always fun to find.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2013 3:52 AM PST
In reply to: Install Linux??

You need to make a new post and add the make, model of what you have and what you need drivers for if you want folk to help you find drivers. Driver finder software is too unreliable and many install spyware.

About Ubuntu. It has firefox and that works the same. But you didn't reveal what you used the machine for so I can't offer much.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Make a choice...
by Willy / December 24, 2012 12:17 AM PST

HP is your main OS support as that's the deal HP made with MS in order to provide OS with the laptop at lower cost. XP is now too old to be sold by HP(out of stock) or general retail sales. If you want XP, then you need to check eBay or Craigslist for some vendor you trust or any "used" source. Since, this is a laptop you may get lucky and have a "recovery/restore" disc made for your laptop. There are legal vendors offering such, just enter your HP laptop model# and see if they have or make it. Also, retail versions of OS will install too, you will then need proper drivers to finish the install 100%. Some vendors offer unopened HP restore discs, even upgrades(if applicable) that work with your HP key, worth considering.

http://www.restoredisks.com -OR- any similar vendors

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
try ebay
by hamrecycling / January 8, 2013 10:50 AM PST

try ebay or amazon for a reasonable copy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.