Photo Editing & Graphic Design forum

General discussion

Need Vista compatible software for photos

by kkimbler1 / September 23, 2007 1:45 PM PDT

I'm trying to find a USER FRIENDLY digital photography software that works with Vista. The first thing I need is to be able to organize and tag my photos. I also need to easily make photo corrections - touch-ups, cropping, color adjustments, etc. The last thing I want is easy printing and print layout. This with a price that won't break the bank! Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Vista compatible software for photos
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Vista compatible software for photos
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Picasa looks close.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2007 1:52 PM PDT
Collapse -
go for the GIMP
by srosenblatt / September 25, 2007 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Picasa looks close.

I'd recommend GIMP if cost is an issue. It doesn't have an integrated organizer, but I prefer it over Picasa for the editing tools. I also use Paint.NET here in the office, but if you're looking for high-end printing, Photoshop CS3 is the way to go. It depends on your needs.

Collapse -
Ditto here
by Dango517 / September 29, 2007 1:45 PM PDT
In reply to: go for the GIMP

My OS is Vista Business.

When I run Gimpshop it does have some minor warning errors that appear but the software runs fine and has a long list of special effects in it. Also unlike other photo software it has finer adjustments and a wider range of adjustments. The down side is that it does not include a cropping feature. How could they left that out? All-in-all good software. No cropping? What could they have been thinking? I'll throw this in as well, files are a little hard to use. On second thought maybe it isn't that great. Four stars.

Collapse -
Correction. GimpShop 2.2 does have a crop feature....
by Dango517 / October 5, 2007 2:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Ditto here
Collapse -
How did you get Gimpshop to work on Vista Business?
by basil60 / December 4, 2008 7:09 AM PST

Can I ask Dango517 what he did to get GimpShop running successfully on Vista Business?
I appear to have the same problem as many others, in that it crashes when I try start a new window.

Searched the web and only found a work around - but it's a bit dodge.

Collapse -
Re: Picassa looks close
by cabbiinc / January 4, 2009 11:51 PM PST
In reply to: Picasa looks close.

I'd have to agree, Picasa is about the easiest program to use than anything I've ever seen. It doesn't put Tom Cruises head on your ex-brother in laws body, but it does have a clone tool (version 3.0 and up) and other general tweaking tools, including a pretty good "I'm feeling lucky" button that tries to fix exposure problems in one shot.

But there's nothing wrong with getting Picasa and another tool as well, for when you need that extra effort. Photoshop Elements is good, and every version is more user friendly, but you do need to learn it and that's tough. But if Photoshop gives you headaches you'll be pulling out firearms with Gimp. The learning curve is even higher.

Get Picasa first, it's free. Then if you need something with a little more punch you still have options.

Collapse -
VIsta Phtot Software
by nmachtiger / September 25, 2007 9:11 AM PDT

Check out ACD Pro or newly announced Photoshop Elements 6.0

Collapse -
by skydiver51 / September 25, 2007 9:17 AM PDT

Corel Photo Shop Pro is very good. The newest version is about $60.00 from Corel but i'm sure you can find it cheaper.

Collapse -
Photoshop Album Starter Edition or Photoshop Elements
by mocinha / September 25, 2007 11:07 AM PDT

Photoshop album starter edition will do just about all you are looking for and its FREE! Just go to and you should be able to locate it. If you would rather have live assistance you can call 1800-64ADOBE and they can help you download it.

I have windows vista and I love using it, specially because it makes very easy to burn pictures to a disk.

If you want to take it a step further and upgrade to photoshop elements 5 and have different catalogs, backup options, etc. its just $79.99 and you can get the patch for windows vista free.

Collapse -
PS Elements 6.0 will be out in a week
by photoqueenbee52 / September 30, 2007 11:43 AM PDT

The next version of PS Elements, 6.0, will be available on Amazon on 10/6 for 89.95. It has a few new features but, most important to me, it's Vista compatable. Since I've been intending to upgrade from 3.0 which I've happily used for a couple years, I will wait another week for the latest version.

Collapse -
have you tried Magix?
by vsidles / September 25, 2007 11:36 AM PDT

I just got that from cnet the other day and I really like it. It is very easy to use for us newbies who don't have the photoshop capabilities and it's free AND it's Vista compatible.

Collapse -
Thanks to you all!
by kkimbler1 / September 25, 2007 2:41 PM PDT

Wow! Lots of great suggestions from everyone - thanks so much! I've heard from others that Photoshop Elements is good but not sure I'll start there - my last experience with Photoshop 5 was quite overwhelming and frustrating (what are layers, anyway?) - probably more program than I needed. I don't want to have to take a 4 year course to learn a program - lol. Is Elements any easier? Maybe I should begin with the freebies first to see if they cover what I'm looking for and then work my way up. Hmmmmmmm... Thanks again for the great suggestions!

Collapse -
C/NET has a GREAT sight to help with digital camera needs
by jcox-43 / September 25, 2007 10:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks to you all!
Collapse -
online courses
by marshalofland / March 29, 2009 2:28 AM PDT

This link does not work. Can you send another one? Thanks!

Collapse -
Photoshop Elements is easier than Photoshop
by mocinha / September 27, 2007 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks to you all!

Photoshop Elements is easier that Photoshop. Photoshop is still ngeared to graphic designers and people that require a lot of image editing while Photoshop Elements was designed for home users that still want their pictures to look professional without having to have to take a class to learn it.

It comes with tutorials, and files to play with. Its very user friendly too and the "Auto Fix" works great!

Collapse -
PS Elelments
by kkimbler1 / September 27, 2007 12:36 PM PDT

Thanks for the good info! I checked it out on the Adobe web site and read some other reviews - sounds like it's probably the way to go for me. I appreciate your thoughts.

Collapse -
FastStone Image Viewer = free
by Tigralady / January 10, 2009 12:15 AM PST
In reply to: PS Elelments

Updated version (9/08?)suppose to be 64 compatible. I used it in the past and liked it. Getting ready to try with Vista soon. My main problem is finding sites or info with tips and help. Most reviews are very good.

Collapse -
Vista compatible software for photos
by CMKMcCauley / September 25, 2007 11:21 PM PDT

check out the memory manager software (39.95 plus tax and shipping) on my website, Awesome organizational and editing features - very user friendly, vista compatible. the answer to all your problems!

Collapse -
reply to the picture software for vista
by pcsky456 / September 30, 2007 12:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Photoshop Elements 6.0 and Vista
by photoqueenbee52 / October 22, 2007 11:51 PM PDT

I just upgraded from Photoshop Elements 3.0 (a few years old) to the recently released 6.0 because my original version had some bugs which I assumed to be incompatability issues with Vista. Anyway, the new program works great and has some excellent new features. I mainly want to caution you to buy the 6.0 version rather than the 5.0 which is now being sold at a discount, to assure that you are Vista compatible.

Collapse -
by brightwindows / October 22, 2007 5:13 PM PDT

Go photoshop , I use it works pretty well.

Collapse -
Vista software--tracing/sillhouette
by pretending / January 29, 2009 9:23 AM PST
In reply to: photoshop

We have probably all seen group photos which were accompanied by tracings or sillhouettes of the individuals, to aid in identification. Is there economical software which will make these tracings, or do I have to resort to pencil and paper?

Running Vista Home Premium.

Collapse -
vista friendly photo program
by jitkaau / December 18, 2009 1:46 PM PST

Photoshop is the best in my opinion, I have CS4 now, after starting with Elements 2 in a bundle, and upgrading to E7, CS and now CS4. If you are a student or a teacher, Adobe often have good deals for non - commercial use. If cost is a factor, Gimp is OK - sometimes a bit clunky with the floating screens, and Arcsoft and Corel are more versatile than the Ulead programs. Paintshop is also good to use, and is about the same as JASC. Hope this has been useful,rather than adding to your confusion. If you have the $$ get the best Photoshop that you can afford.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.