Need UpGrade of old workhorse G3 300 Mac

by JessGless / February 23, 2012 12:54 AM PST

Here's my info on the old G3 300 Mac Mini-Tower:

Macintosh G3 300
Beige Mini-Tower8
Serial No. XB8350APEQE - 8/22/1998
1 MB Cache
64MB/8GB HD/24XCDAV/6VR/ZIP

NEC MultiSync 5FGe with a NEC Adapter for connection to teh system.
Vram Type: EDO SGRAM

Video Card: 3D Rage II + /' (System date above is 8/22/1998)
(Supposedly UpGraded by Apple to ATI Rage Pro Turbo starting August 12, 1998

Not sure about the OS version, but, I think I have it running Ver 9.2.2

PROBLEMS: My old 30 lb NEC Monitor has been slowly deteriorating and it is not to the point where I cannot read it at all even with the lights out at night. Also, I don't know if that is the only problem. The Video card may also be bad, but, I not positive on that.

Now, I know all of you UPGRADE gurus were just waiting for a chance to dive into something like this.

I NEED HELP!! I WILL ALSO TAKE SUGGESTIONS!!
But, understand also that I am retired and living on a limited budget, but will kick in for some reasonable upgrades.

Scenario #1:
What would I need to upgrade JUST the monitor? I've tried the stores around and virtually all of them carry the newer Wide Screen LCD monitors. I had read something that stated that this system might not be able to handle the Wide Screen, but, that if it did it would be a very poor resolution screen.

IS there truly a replacement LCD screen that will work with this G3 300 and replace the NEC CRT monitor? If so, what would I need - vendor number and part number wise? I'm totallly lost on trying to find this information. I read lots of it, but it doesn't answer my quesitons.

Scenario #2:
IF I cannot find a monitor that will work with the existing system I understand that I might also UpGrade the Video card to have the system work with one of the newer Wide Screen monitors. IF this is the ONLY fix what would I need - Video Card Mfg. and Part Number and Monitor Mfg. and Part Number.

Scenario #3
Whate level of maximum RAM strips can I pump this up to? I just cannot remember what this had in it and I cannot see it because all of my other monitors will not work on this system.

One last thing - I haven't had this system open for 5-6 years, but remember it being fairly clean inside (lots of space) so I am assuming I would have no problem replacing a Video Card, but, just to be on the save side are there pictorial instructions any where on the Net for this process?

I really do want this back up and running as I have hundreds $$ of software on it and I'm finding that I cannot afford the new versions (PhotoShop is one example) so I want to use this system again.

I would greatly appreciate any help that anyone can give to support my upgrade project.

Thanks!

JayGee

JessGless has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need UpGrade of old workhorse G3 300 Mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need UpGrade of old workhorse G3 300 Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
So why not get a 4x3 LCD?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2012 12:58 AM PST
Collapse -
Super fast response and great service at suggested supplier
by JessGless / February 23, 2012 1:45 AM PST

To R. Proffitt:

WOW! I'm impressed! I received an answer almost before I finished typing.

I went to the site and called them as I needed to know if I had to have an adapter for the monitor,
so had a very brief talk with a "techie" who recommended an adapter (under $10) and switched
back to sales and ordered both.

Went to the site: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=BLK-743BX-PB-R&cpc=RESX
and this seemed like a good deal for me. Monitor comes with VGA cables and along with the Adapter
the price on this was just under $94 and had free shipping. Can't beat that.

I can't thank you enough. Around here everyone was telling me to forget it - that all I could buy was
a wide screen monitor, which I don't think would have worked on my system.

JessGless

Collapse -
Good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2012 1:33 PM PST

While I've never tried that on a G3, I have run into folk that need a 4x3 monitor and there are still out there.

Best of luck and thanks for the update.
Bob

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by JessGless

Collapse -
Problem Solved!!
by JessGless / March 9, 2012 3:13 AM PST

I bought the monitor suggested in one of the replies and then remembered that my NEC adapter was for that particular NEC monitor and ordered two different adapters.

I applied the older version of the adapter at the back of my system and surprise, surprise, I had a monitor. When I finally realized that I had plugged the keyboard in the wrong slot, everything finally started working like a charm.

I checked various software apps and all seemed to be working well.

Thanks to all of you who replied for your inputs! This saves me some time and a LOT of $$$ for new software.

JessGless

Collapse -
Answer
Scenario #3
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 23, 2012 6:03 AM PST

Maximum RAM in that machine is around 192MB

Crucial.com or Ramjet.com "might" have some for that machine.

P

Collapse -
It is expandable to 768 MB RAM PC66 SDRAM
by ziptie / February 27, 2012 12:56 AM PST
In reply to: Scenario #3

If you do need to replace the video card, here is a list that will work in your G3. These might be hard to find, and make sure it is flashed for a Mac.

ATI 3D Rage II+, ATI 3D Rage Pro, or ATI 3D Rage Pro Turbo

Collapse -
Answer
What you may want to consider
by Jimmy Greystone / February 27, 2012 3:34 AM PST

What you may want to consider, is hitting ebay and craigslist for any old G4 unit that was made before they stopped shipping 9.2 with them. I'd say a G4 iMac, but replacing the HDD might be a bit much on one of those.

Still, you could probably find an early model G4 PowerMac or something that could still run OS Classic, and you should be able to just pull the drive, slap it into a new unit, and go. All the hardware support is pretty much baked right into the OS. Wikipedia would probably be able to tell you which was the last model of each product line to support OS 9.2.

Might be a better bang for your buck option. Just some additional food for thought.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.