TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Need to reset DVD player to default settings, but can't.

by end_everything / October 11, 2005 2:00 AM PDT

I have a Magnavox MDV455/17 dvd player that I've had for almost two years and it works perfectly. I recently accidently changed the video format to one my tv doesn't support and I can't change it back because I have no video now. I talked to magnavox multiple times and all they could tell me was to call their tech support for $15. All I want is my video back to default so I can use my player again, any help is appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need to reset DVD player to default settings, but can't.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need to reset DVD player to default settings, but can't.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) bump
by end_everything / October 13, 2005 4:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
Need to reset DVD player to default settings,
by jcrobso / October 14, 2005 1:38 AM PDT

You didn't give any info about your TV or how the DVD and TV are hooked up.
So this is my best guess!!! Hook the DVD up a TV with the RF connector and see if you can get into the menu are reset it. John

Collapse -
If I may...
by grimgraphix / October 14, 2005 10:51 AM PDT

I think what is going on is that this person has a multi system dvd player that can display on PAL and SECAM TVs and has switched his output to one of these signals and now watches his dvd picture roll so fast on the screen they can't make out anything. I saw this happen too many times when I sold TVs. Your solution is to find a TV such as a Sharp Aquos, that can display all these formats, and hooking up to it, correct your dvd players menu settings.

Find a friendly A/V store or a friend with one of these sets and correct the problem OR if you like, get your manual out and blindly follow the directions to reach the menu and correct the problem... not easy since it is tantamount to touch typing in the dark with your monitor turned off.

You can try unplugging it for a few weeks but I hazard to guess that the residual memory would still keep the settings you accidently switched to.

good luck and let us know how you solve the problem.

grim

Collapse -
need to reset dvd player to default settings
by imwende / May 30, 2014 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: If I may...

hey grim, ur a genius!!! i pressed the remote buttons blindly n I got to the setup...ive been struggling with it 4a month now. Thank u thank u thank u

Collapse -
tv and hook up
by end_everything / October 15, 2005 11:57 AM PDT

my dvd player is hooked up to a sanyo 32" tv with 2 a/v hookups, componant, coaxial, and s-video. I have the dvd player hooked up to the tv through s-video with my sound going through a reciever and speakers. I don't get rolling, or any picture at all since I believe my tv doesn't support the format I chose. I will try hooking it up through regular a/v cables, but this dvd player doesn't support coaxial. If that doesn't work there is a best buy close(where I bought it), and they'd probably let me hook up to a display tv for a second to fix it. I really appreciate all the suggestions and please post any more anyone has. I'll try these solutions out and let everyone know how it turned out, thanks for the help!

Collapse -
Found it!
by bladesire / August 24, 2007 9:57 AM PDT
In reply to: tv and hook up

This is two years too late, but hopefully others who have this problem will not be so confounded by it...

The solution is bizarre, but it's straight from the manual. Press the open/close button on the DVD player so that the disc tray comes out. Then, press the '0' button on the remote until the correct display comes up.

Hope that helped!

Collapse -
MWD200GA, Magnavox, help
by daepc / September 10, 2007 12:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Found it!

Thank you for posting your better late than never help. I bought the last MWD200GA on the shelf at Walmart and have not been able to get it to even see the DVD. I put it in and it does some spinning until it finally tells me that it is not a valid DVD or is not meant to be played. Unfortunately, it does this with every DVD I buy and one that a professional photographer burned for me. It doesn't play CD's either. I tried both S-Video and the three line install and no luck. Apparently I got what I paid for...a DVD with old formats and very little technical support. I will try your suggestion and if no luck, take it back to Walmart. This time, I will have them label it as dysfunctional. Maybe I got the one where the person accidentally switched codes and couldn't fix it so they took it back.

This is my first DVD because I don't watch movies much. I have a DVD player on my laptop but it doesn't integrate sound with music so I bought the DVD. I took computer training in 1996 to 1998 and most of what I learned is already obsolete.

Collapse -
I hope this works
by klewlesstechie / July 10, 2008 5:16 AM PDT

I've been battling with my DVD player the past two nights trying to figure out how to reset it. Following the manufacturer instructions to press the STOP button, then press it again for five seconds, didn't yield any results. My problem arose when I turned on the Progressive Scan settings when in fact, my TV is not Progressive Scan compatible. Now, I see a split image on Input 3 (Component) and hear sound. I guess if I can't get the DVD player to reset, I can always buy a new TV that is Progressive Scan capable. If anyone has any other suggestions to reset (in the event the current suggestion doesn't work), I'd like to hear them. Thanks.

Collapse -
Rebooting a Magnovox DVD Player Model MDV455
by shartung / August 28, 2008 3:02 PM PDT

Thank You, Thank You!!

Collapse -
how can i put back to original setting
by babeschel / February 29, 2008 11:52 PM PST

Im using DVD edison player and i just having a problem to go back to same setting. When im in the setup menu i change the display to HD mode. I press it the display from my LCD tv message change saying High Definition Mode. I play i movie no picture is coming only audio and the message is still there High Definition Mode i press also the menu not come. My question is how can put back to original setting so i can watch again..can you please help me

Collapse -
Universal problem
by davidkichi / July 10, 2010 10:06 AM PDT

I wonder if anybody bothered to look at the troubleshooting area in the back of the manual that came with their machine. Usually, it'll tell you how to return video settings to before if you accidentally change the wrong settings by way of the remote or somethings a button on the machine itself.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.