Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Need to replace Opera

by GhostBirdofPrey / December 11, 2013 5:15 PM PST

I have been using Opera for quite some time now since it has had all the features I need, though it has always caused me some annoyance since it's limited market share means most sites couldn't give a damn if they work with Opera, and the devs don't seem to either as I always seem to have memory leaks or crashes or some crap.

Now though they have remade the browser entirely and the new Opera lacks EVERYTHING that made me use Opera in the first place, so I am looking for a new one.

If anyone could direct me to browsers that fit certain criteria either natively or with extensions (and let me know which extensions if applicable) it would be appreciated.

here's that I am looking for
Session manager, main reason for sticking with Opera is the ability to save a window as a session and then reopen that session at any time.

Preview tabs when tabbing through. When you use CTRL+TAB to move through pages, as long as your finger is on the CTRL key will show a list of tabs and you can click on an item to go straight there rather than having to tab through each page individually which is time consuming (and unparks your tabs if you have an extension that parks tabs that aren't being used at the moment to save memory). Very mich like how windows shows you what you are alt-tabbing through

good spread of websites that can be accessed. I have become used to having to have multiple browsers for different sites since it doesn't seem which browser I use there's always that couple sites that don't like it, but more is better.

Reasonable render speed. Don't want to wait 5 minutes each time I open a tab but it doesn't have to be done before I'm done blinking.

Tab groups, about the only thing I like about IE is it color codes tab groups and starts groups automatically when you open a new tab from current. Browser isn't the best but the groups are great. opera doesn't color code or autogroup, but it does let you collapse a group of tabs to save space.

A Decent ad blocker available. Self explanatory but recently I ran into a problem with my FF where the old adblocker didn;t work on latest version and the replacement wouldn't let me whitelist Hulu, so some consideration is to be had. Opera has a built on content blocker which is interesting to say the least.

Any experts here able to direct me to good browsers? Again, I am perfectly fine with using extensions to get the functionalities as long as I at least get the items in the critical category but let me know what those extensions are (it also goes without saying they shouldn't cause stability problems).

I already have FF and Chrome installed so if there's extensions for them that can get me what I need I am good with that. I have found some good session managers for Chrome but not something that brings up a list of tabs when control-tabbing and I haven't found a satisfactory tab grouper

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need to replace Opera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need to replace Opera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2013 1:04 AM PST
In reply to: Need to replace Opera

I will share that you should find the top browsers are less than a handful in count. But you would have to check them out to see if they meet your demands. I can't check it all out for you. That has inflamed a few members but why not try out the usual titles?

Collapse -
doesn't have to be a "top" browser
by GhostBirdofPrey / December 12, 2013 4:12 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry no.

I never said it has to be a top browser. As long as it works I don't really care.
I do have Chrome and Firefox. I haven't check for Firefox, but but I found a decent extension for Chrome to cave sessions, though none of them seem quite as robust as the system build into older versions of Opera, and I have yet to see anything that gives a popup when tabbing through which becomes necessary if you somehow end up opening enough tabs the favicons on the tabs disappear. (I also have an extension that parks tabs to free memory when they haven't been used for a while and I like to avoid tabbing through them which causes a reload)

I don't expect anyone to check for me, but I was hoping maybe someone might happen upon this that knows about or has used something that might work similar to Opera 12 but hasn't been abandoned.

Collapse -
There's a Windows version of Safari you could try
by wpgwpg / December 12, 2013 4:23 AM PST

I don't know about your requirements, but there is a Windows version of Safari you could try. Personally Firefox & Chrome meet 99% of my needs and IE takes care of the other 1%.
Good luck.

Collapse -
I use those 2.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2013 5:28 AM PST
Collapse -
by Chatwrite / January 31, 2014 12:28 AM PST
In reply to: Need to replace Opera

Google chrome is very nice. Very fust!

Collapse -
It depends...
by Start2Cloud / March 3, 2014 2:40 AM PST
In reply to: Chrome

Well G. Chrome is quite good but have you ever noticed how many processes (Google) are up when you turn on your computer or start to use Chrome? It's not so convenient for older or slower computers (it's based on my own experience).

From my point of view is the best Firefox.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.