Windows Vista

General discussion

Need To reformat a 500GB Western Digital Drive to FAT32

by John Razic / April 10, 2009 3:17 AM PDT

Hi, I have a 500gb External Harddrive, and i need to reformat it back into FAT32 format.

I'm using windows vista 32 bit I've heard that vista and XP have 32gb limitations, but is there a program that will bypass that limit.

Message was edited by: admin to remove email address to prevent spam harvesters from picking it up.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need To reformat a 500GB Western Digital Drive to FAT32
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need To reformat a 500GB Western Digital Drive to FAT32
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just links.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2009 3:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
Need To reformat a 500GB Western Digital Drive to FAT32
by les haworth / April 12, 2009 3:27 AM PDT

i have 2 machines (1)is a vista os the other is xp pro and have no problem with eather running my 500 gig external or internal drives my xp machine has 4 500 gig drives thst i use for video storage.
i see no reason to reformat to fat files.

Collapse -
Well!
by John Razic / April 12, 2009 1:43 PM PDT

I happen to have a PS3 and i would like to put some HD AVI files onto the PS3, which by the way only detects FAT32 storage media. I actually found out how to do it so I'm thanks a lot.

Collapse -
Well done! The other machine that uses that is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2009 10:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Well!

The XBox 360 is another machine that may need fat32 volumes.

Collapse -
may give you some suggestion
by ljmichael / November 24, 2010 10:40 AM PST

As we know that convert FAT32 to NTFS could be easily operated for Windows users, as the built-in disk management of computer support such kind of operation. But convert back is difficult, unsafe and trouble. For example, users must backup the data in the partition before formatting or Windows does not allow to format partition as FAT32.SO I suggest you to use some other third party software,like NTFS to FAT32 Converter , I have used it and help me to convert it.I hope it could give you a hand

Collapse -
Just so we're clear. Are you writing for us to use a 39.95?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2010 11:16 AM PST

Such an item is not worth that much!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.