Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Need to reboot but System can't find my CD-ROM.

by TokioOkio / November 2, 2006 4:42 PM PST

Catch 22: I have multiple problems on an old Windows 98J system that I am not ready to give up on just yet. I have asked parts of this question in forums before but it problem isn?t fixed yet.

IBM Aptiva 16J (IBM 216516J) Windows 98 Japanese (build 4.10.1998)
450MHz AMD K6-2 w/3Dnow!; 64kB primary memory cache, 512kB secondary
Main Circuit Board: SiS-530, Bus Clock 100MHz
Generic IDE HDD (8.43GB9 No SMART Driver Award Software International, Inc. BKBEN22A 11/03/00
Memory Modules: 252 MB Slot ?0? 128Mb, Slot ?1? 128MB.
I have only a "Product Recovery Disk".

My original HDD has about 1.5MB in bad sectors. I need to replace my HDD but my CD-ROM isn't working. I bought a new 40 GB HDD and a new internal CD-R/W (they didn't have a CD-ROM). Without a working internal CD drive, I cannot install my new HDD or reinstall Windows on my old drive.

I also have a Explorer.exe error whenever I boot up. The error message, in Japanese, translates:
?Abort: this program performed incorrect processing
Please contact the manufacturer of the program when it does not abort"

"Page infringement of the EXPLORER"
Module: GDI32.DLL Address: 0167: bff26001"

After I click to close the warning, I can use the computer. Most programs work. Outlook Explorer doesn?t work correctly. It has been so long now that I don?t remember exactly what is wrong. The small icons in Outlook Express and on the Task Bar are blacked out.

If I could fix this Explorer.exe problem I could use the computer for a while without having to reinstall, but I am resigned to reformatting and reinstalling Windows to cure it, unless someone has a better idea.

My Catch 22 is, in brief, the hard disk in my IBM Aptiva 2165-16J (1999,
W98J) has way too many bad sectors (about 1.5MB of its 8.4GB total) . When I
boot up, it boots but gives me a warning that Explorer.exe is corrupted. I
press OK and the warning goes away. So I need to replace Explorer.exe I
think, which I think means reinstalling Windows.

Here is the catch. My CD-ROM drive doesn't work. Everybody tells me the drive is bad. I replaced it with a new CD-R/W (couldn't find a CD-ROM) but the system won't recognize it either. I also replaced the flat cable just in case it was bad. This seems to indicate to me that not recognizing the CD-ROM is not a hardware problem. (Another thing lead me to this conclusion. When new, the CD-ROM worked correctly, but after about two years it stopped working and I couldn?t find it. I wanted a burner anyway so I bought a USB CD-R/W and used it. Another couple of years later, after a major crash and a ?GO Back? I think, the CD-ROM started working again and worked for another couple of years. Then about a year ago I lost it again.) The CD-ROM drawer has always opened and the media is in a different position after I close the drawer and reopen it. I have tried all combinations of CD drive and flat cable with the same results.

So I have to reinstall but without a working ATAPI CD drive I can't. Catch 22 squared.

I have a working CD-R/W, but it is on a USB 1.1 connection. I have backed up the entire original drive (I think) onto my 250GB external HDD which is also USB 1.1 (I backed it up using a hard disk drive adaptor so Windows was not running when I backed it up. That would copy hidden files wouldn?t it?)
I downloaded all the Windows 98 Critical updates before 98 was orphaned and have them on the Ext. HDD. The Windows running on the IBM also has all the updates.
I have made boot disk.
I have another copy of W98 on the hard drive from an eOne, but it is English. I can put that HDD in the adaptor and copy onto the big Ext.HDD.
I have a new legal copy of Windows 2000 English.
The cautions in the outside of my new internal CD-R/W say it will only run with a Japanese OS.

Under ?Other Devices? in my Belarc summary, I have something called a ?Mitsumi CD-ROM Controller with double speed drive. I have no idea about it relationship to the missing CD-ROM.

Is there a way I can replace the GDI32.DLL file? If so, where can I get a good copy? Is it language specific? (I have the English W98 on the eOne HDD..)

Suplimental Question: If I get the CD-ROM working and can install my new 40GB HD, should I partition it? If so, how many partitions of what size? What (free, I hope) software should I use for partitioning.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need to reboot but System can't find my CD-ROM.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need to reboot but System can't find my CD-ROM.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you have the W98 boot floppy?
by Coryphaeus / November 2, 2006 9:14 PM PST

You need to start from there.

Collapse -
Yes, I have W98 boot disk, actually two
by TokioOkio / November 3, 2006 8:37 AM PST

Yes, I made boot disk by going to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs then to the rightmost tab. Is this the boot disk you are talking about. I am a bit confussed. I know there are sites where you can download the contents of a boot disk. Are these two the same thing? Also is a boot disk pan-language or do I have to have a Jappanese language boot disk?

Collapse -
Re: reinstall Windows
by Kees Bakker / November 3, 2006 3:14 AM PST

If you're correct and the fact that your CD-ROM isn't working is a software issue, that's no problem at all. Booting from it (as should be done with a manufacturer supplied restore CD) circumvents all software that's currently on the machine.

If it boot's all you need is a new hard disk.

If it doesn't boot, either the CD-drive or the motherboard is faulty. If a new CD-drive still doesn't boot it's definitely the motherboard, and that might be the end of your quest to save this machine.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Thank Kees, I didn't want to hear that, but
by TokioOkio / November 3, 2006 9:40 AM PST
In reply to: Re: reinstall Windows

You are probably right. Windows cannot see the old CD-ROM with the old ATA cable or the new ATA cable. (The old cable is a single cable with one connector on each end. The new one has 3 connectors total but I am only using two.) Windows also cannot see the new CD-R/W with either the old or new cable. I haven't actually tried booting from floppy since I installed the new cable.

Is there a possibility of fixing the Explorer.exe error without reinstalling Windows? The old NEClaptop also has W98 first edition so the GDI32.DLL files might be interchangeable. I think this would mean I would have to go into MS-DOS, copy the GDI32.DLL file to my D drive, then go into W98 and copy the file to a floppy (I hope it would fit.) and reverse the process in the IBM. I haven't used DOS since I retired seven years ago, and I really didn't understand it then.

But, if my motherboard is bad, this is beating a dead horse, isn't it?

PS: Kees, I really appreciate your help.

Tokio Okie

Collapse -
Re: errors
by Kees Bakker / November 3, 2006 11:25 PM PST

GDI32.DLL is the part of the graphic subsystem of Windows. It could be damaged, causing this error, but it's just as likely (even more likely) that something else as wrong causing an error in this dll. But it won't harm to try another copy.
You can try to use Windows only to copy the file to and from, but you might get error messages like 'file in use' on any of the two systems. Then boot into MS-DOS and do it there. The commands are:
copy c:\windows\system\gdi32.dll a:
copy a:\gdi.32.dll c:\windows\system
assuming the file is in c:\windows\system, which you can easily check (I'm sitting at a XP machine now, so I can't). If it doesn't fit, compress it using any zip/unzip-program you have.

But, as you say, if the motherboard is failing, it's rather useless.

Collapse -
Thanks Kees, Changed Gdi32.dll - Windows appears normal, but
by TokioOkio / November 4, 2006 2:51 PM PST
In reply to: Re: errors

the new CD-R/W is still not recognized.

Windows98 seems to be working as good as before the Explorer.exe error occured back in June. I have my OE In Box back and all the little icons seem OK. The IBM isn't online so I can't check 100%.

So I am back to square one and Catch 22. I will try again to find a human at Buffalo, the CD-R/W maker, and see if they have any new ideas. The electronic manual says the system will recognize the new drive as soon as it is installed, but - - -

Collapse -
"The electronic manual says the system will recognize the
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2006 10:47 PM PST

"The electronic manual says the system will recognize the new drive as soon as it is installed, but "

Two things need to be proper.

1. No REAL MODE CDROM DRIVERS in config.sys

2. THe motherboard drivers must be installed.

Given your 6 years of Windows 98 use (it hasn't been offered in that long) I bet all you need is a reminder of this 2 items.

I won't offer details of cables, bios and jumers since again across those 6+ years you should have garnered that information.

Collapse -
Catch 22 may be fixed??
by TokioOkio / March 28, 2007 12:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: errors

Hi Kees,
I know it has been a long time, but I accidentally fixed the CD-ROM problem. I left a floppy in accidently and got a "Disk ERROR". I ended up in "setup" and selected Set Default settings. When I did this the new built-in CD-R/W was recognized and is now working.
Your suggestion on gdi32.dll worked, so now I am in a position to install the new 40GB HDD. I have the Product Recovery disk. Now all I have to do is determine everything I need before I remove the old HDD and install the new one.

When I install the new drive, should I make more than one partition? If so, how.

Collapse -
Re: partition
by Kees Bakker / March 29, 2007 11:52 PM PDT

I don't see any reason to partition a 40 Gb disk in Windows 98. But if you want to do it:

And it's still possible that
1. The recovery disk deletes your partitions and makes its own.
2. The recovery disk refuses to recover to such an unknown big hard disk.

Just try it.

Collapse -
Re: partition
by TokioOkio / March 30, 2007 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: partition

Thanks Kees,

I will give it a try. This is the first time I have ever used the Product Recovery disk and since it is in Japanese, I am a bit wary. I will accept whatever partitioning it gives me. If I screw up I guess I can always go back to the old HDD once more.

Thanks again,

Tokio okie

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.