Networking & Wireless

General discussion

Need to power-cycle my router almost every other hour or so

by matthewginniem / October 26, 2006 7:22 AM PDT

My latest router is a Linksys 54G, but this is an issue that's plagued me for as long as I can remember, across different types of routers from Linksys to D-Link to Buffalo and more.

Essentially, no matter how good the router I own, it will eventually start having connectivity issues that can only be fixed by power-cycling the router. It's always the same symptoms. My computer(s) start to lose net connectivity gradually, until they can finally not connect to anything at all. I can't even get into the router webpanel to reboot the router. I have to unplug and replug the router to reboot it.

This seems to happen most frequently when the computer is idle. I can play an online game (like a MMOG) for an hour or two with no issue. But if I leave the connection to sit idle for a while, it'll eventually conk out.

I'd always thought I was just buying bum routers. Because whenever I'd replace them, the problem would go away. But I'm on my third or fourth router now, and the issue is still cropping up. I was fine for months on end with my Linksys, but now it's gotten to the point where I need to power-cycle my router every time I want to connect to the net.

This is frustrating to say the least. Does anyone know why this is happening? The router is plugged into a power strip with a few other devices, but nothing major. It sits beside my printer, but this issue affects computers plugged directly into the router (such as my desktop) as well as computers connecting over wi-fi. So it can't be an interference issue, can it?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need to power-cycle my router almost every other hour or so
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need to power-cycle my router almost every other hour or so
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Is the firmware up to date?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2006 7:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
I have the same problem
by fialkoff / October 26, 2006 7:55 AM PDT

I have a Linksys BEF-W11S4 (version 4), and yes, my firmware is upgraded. I have had this issue repeatedly. Linksys has sent me two replacement routers, with the same results. I have connected the computer (Gateway Media Center 510 with 1 gig memory) directly to the modem (Comcast cable modem) and it works great... but the connection is horribly unreliable with the router.

Collapse -
Isn't that 5 years old?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2006 8:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
Need more information
by chimera77 / October 26, 2006 7:57 AM PDT

It doesn't sound like an interference problem since wired PCs have the same problem as wireless connected ones (right?).

But to help, could you do some more tests? For instance, when the problem is happening do a few ping tests to internet addresses. Ping by hostname and ping by IP Address. This will help figure out if DNS is a possible issue. Also try to open a few web pages as well. Here are a couple of good destinations to use for your tests:

hostname: www.google.com
ip address: 216.239.37.104

hostname: www.yahoo.com
ip address: 209.191.93.52

If none of these work (hostname or IP), then you definitely have a complete network failure. If IP address works, but hostname does not, then only your DNS is affected. It takes some testing to figure this out.

Also, have you tested with other PCs on the same router during a "problem"? Just want to rule out if it is local to your workstation or affects everything connected. If you have more than one PC, do the same ICMP tests on both to see if the results match.

Collapse -
Wireless Telephone Causes Problem
by denismon / October 30, 2006 4:33 AM PST
In reply to: Need more information

I had the same issue and after 3 routers, I narrowed the issue down to a 2.4 GHz home telephone ringing. That is the same frequency as the router broadcasts in. The ringing phone freezes up the whole router, both the hard wire & wireless connections.
I switched to a 5.8 GHzphone and it works fine now. Anybody want 2 old routers that really work???

Collapse -
2 old routers
by harpo / November 2, 2006 8:23 AM PST

2 ould routers you say eh? Drop me a line at harpo_the_whale(at)yahoo.com and we'll go from there!

Harpo

Collapse -
try this
by Morphyuz / October 26, 2006 8:02 AM PDT

the only thing i can think of is DHCP leases expiring.
i had this issue with some network printers awhile back, i got rid of DHCP and used manual IP settings and it fixed the issues.

Collapse -
Strange though
by chimera77 / October 26, 2006 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: try this

That is strange though that the printers would not be able to renew their leases. It could be just a symptom of a bigger problem, such as broadcasts are not able to reach the DHCP server or the printers not fully supporting TCP/IP.

Collapse -
Ask your ISP
by samkh / October 26, 2006 12:10 PM PDT

for the characteristics of their service. eg. does it time out if they don't get a ping return or does lease expire if MAC changed since sign up. Some routers allow you to renew lease forever, discard ping and clone MAC. Look into those potential issues.

Collapse -
Had the same problem
by SueMD / October 26, 2006 10:38 PM PDT

Contact Linksys and they will help you get it taken care of over the phone. I went through the same thing, and had other problems with this router as well, had to call them several times over a few months but finally seems to be working ok for a couple months now!

Collapse -
Did you try replacing the modem?
by adrienne50 / October 27, 2006 12:05 AM PDT

After we power cycled, things would get better for a time, and then gradually deteriorate again. After trying everything and spending hours on the phone with technicians, then I asked about the modem provided with the service. They claimed that trading it in at their center for another one would probably not solve the problem. One technician suggested that we buy our own modem. What I didn't realize was that they were trying to tell me that the company has used the same outdated equipment for years. It works, but not well - so trading it in wasn't going to solve anything.

Finally, we just went out and bought a new screaming modem on our own dime, and that did it. Now we only power cycle about twice a year, if that.

Collapse -
Need to power-cycle my router almost every other hour or so
by paiadave / October 27, 2006 12:27 AM PDT

My WRT54G was doing the very same "loss of connection" every hour or so. For about two months I had been trying to port forward for a web cam I had. I gave up web cam thing and thought I had reset the router to default settings. My concern for you with my suggestion is your online gaming. I don't know what changes maybe in your router for your game connection to happen.
What fixed my problem was to return the router to it's default settings. It's has been a while now but I think holding in the reset button for six seconds or more will reset the router to default settings. After months of the same problem, resetting to default settings was the answer for me. Of course I change the password and the SSID and the security mode but after the reset that ended the lost of conductivity.

Collapse -
Exact same issue
by coug90 / October 27, 2006 12:40 AM PDT

Please post any solutions that work for you!

I'm experiencing the same thing, also with Comcast as my ISP. . Linksys help has told me to upgrade the firmware, which I'll do tonight.

I'm wondering if replacing the modem - which is at least a few years old - would help...

Collapse -
Exact Same Issue - Losing Connection Every Hour.
by BorisEarl / November 18, 2006 9:39 AM PST
In reply to: Exact same issue

Afternoon,

Just wanted to say thank you really to everyone who has Posted here, after 11 grueling hours trying to get this Fixed, the problem is still there however feel that I have certainly taken a leap forward in getting this resolved.

I am currently using an Addon GWAR3000 - Obsolute Nightmare for technologically illiterate folkes like myself. However.

Spot on to "Morphyuz" Re DHCP Leases Expiring - Post 8. Had no idea how to change the Lease but this gave great insight. Noticed the the IP Lease was always only set for One Hour at a time each time I rebooted and Powered the router Off & On.

My Router was always set to a Static IP, but finally managed to adjust the lease when I finally realised that there was a setting for Lease Time and that there were additional settings for each computer attached to the Router which could also be set to Static (ie. Given a Fixed IP). This adjusted the lease time.

This link also helped in that it allowed me to Fix the IP Addresses on each of the Computers to match that of the Router.
http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm
Lease appears now to be indefinite.

I am Still having problems with the connection though, but hope the above Helps for some.

What I can't figure out is why my external IP address keeps changing when I repair my Connection, this has changed 4 times in the last 4 Hours (after repairing the Network & power down of Router).

I have been checking my Local/Remote (External as I've Called it)IP through a speed test Website, but cannot understand why this has changed OR how I can Make it Static. Do I want to make it static (I alwayd assumed that this should never change.

Any Idea's??

Cheers & Phew!!

Boris
South London

Collapse -
Cold Router Restart
by jaytmoon / October 27, 2006 12:41 AM PDT

I've had the same problem with all the linksys routers i've owned. After messing with the default settings and even rma's I discovered that they are VERY sesitive to power spikes and drops. I picked up a low end UPS/line conditioner and pluged in the router and dsl or cable modem into it and the restart need was solved. A 'power strip" may protect from spikes but not provide adequate line conditioning for those devices and it can't do anything about voltage loss. If you have a Multi-meter, try testing the voltage from your outlets and power strip. You may find the problem lies there.

Collapse -
Need to power-cycle router
by rud1y / October 27, 2006 2:44 AM PDT

I had a similar problem and found that both my router (WRT54g) and DSL modem were set as DHCP server. Turned one off and the problem went away.

Collapse -
...bad power...
by Aardasp / October 27, 2006 5:38 AM PDT

Even in this "day-and-age", the power we get from the public utility power grid is is constantly fluctuating.

We only notice it when the fluctuation is a big spike or drop, and, unfortunately, where you live can account for these "unnoticed" fluctuations being more intense/frequent.

Modems, routers etc do not like flucuations in power, even if the fluctuation is not enough to shut down a PC and/or online connection, it can zap an intermediate device (thus calling for a reboot/recycle).

A good UPS and/or Power Line Conditioner are the only methods to regulate everydy power fluctions so as not to disrupt routers/modems etc.

Collapse -
Just a thought
by doctisch / October 27, 2006 4:34 AM PDT

I bought a new UPS about 1 year ago that also "conditions" the power coming out of the wall. You can adjust the sensitivity of this feature thru a software control. Before I had this UPS, I noticed there were numerous times that the UPS cycled back and forth to battery and A/C power quite rapidly. No more with the new UPS. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G with no problem at all. My desktop pc is usually off while plugged into the router and I use my laptop 99% of the time. Bottom line, I guess there is a possibility that your router may be getting "dirty" power that may benefit from conditioning by a decent quality UPS.

Collapse -
I never turn off my router but still lose connection
by JackHord / October 27, 2006 6:07 AM PDT

I'm not sure it's the router.
I lose my connection like mentioned here, but I solve it my rebooting my pc, not the router.
Netgear RT314 is the model I have

Collapse -
Same exact problem with Linksys 54g router
by bigdaddya / October 27, 2006 6:27 AM PDT

I, too, have had the exact same problem and have had it with both a new and old linksys WT54G router. I also have 2 computers hooked directly to the router and 1 desktop connected by wireless. All lose the connection at the same time as far as I can tell. I am running XP pro on a 3.0 GHz p4 with 1 GB memory.
Wall socket power tests good. My router is only two months old and I bought it thinking it would fix this issue. My old router was the same model only 2 years old. I have tried resetting the router to default settings, turning off security such as WPA, reinstalling the router software, etc. but the only thing that works is shutting off the router and then turning it back on.
Some have suggested a UPS, but I ran my other router for 2 years without one and it did fine until last August. I haven't added any new appliances to cause power surges. I have had the ISP tech people out several times and they are still scratching their heads.

Collapse -
Cable lenght and power spikes and ...
by deckpinz / October 27, 2006 4:57 PM PDT

Have the same problem, connection goes down for no apparent reason, call the cable guru's and get the same answer pull the plugs for 15 seconds and reboot. Won't go to an internet phone because connection is not dependable. Have shortened the connection from cable box to router, my immagination says it has become slightly more stable.

Collapse -
Losing connectivity
by rud1y / October 28, 2006 1:29 AM PDT

Go to your DSL or cable modem configuration menu and see if it has ''DHCP server'' enabled. Then go to the configuration setup for your router and see if it has ''DHCP server'' enabled. If both are enabled, that will cause this problem. Disable one and see if that makes a difference.

I used to have to reset mine several times a day until I did the above. Since then I haven't reset in months. I had the problem with UPS, short cable length, and replaced cordless phone with 5.8ghz. Until I disabled one DHCP server nothing helped.

Collapse -
Losing connectivity
by jeanpbelmondo / October 28, 2006 7:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Losing connectivity

Running windows xp on my desktop and having these same problems with connectivity.
How do I find the DSL modem configuration menu and the router configuration setup so I can check the setup on these two items. I'm fairly new to computers
and can't find these two things to check the DHCP setup.
THANKS

Collapse -
Losing connectivity
by rud1y / October 28, 2006 11:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Losing connectivity

With both modem and router, I had to log onto the configuration setup from my internet browser.

With the WRT54g, type in the IP address of the router into your browser. (mine was 192.168.1.1) On the setup page, in the "Network Setup" area, see if DHCP server is "enabled." If this is, leave it.

Log out of this and type the IP address of your DSL modem into your browser. If you don't have it, call your ISP and ask for it. They can giive it to you and may be able to tell you exactly where the DHCP setting is. Disable the DHCP server in the modem and you should be able to reconfigure your router to pass your DSL user name and password to the modem and logon to the internet.

Collapse -
I haven't added any new appliances to cause power surges.
by Owl / October 28, 2006 4:20 PM PDT

You may not of added any new appliances, but it does not mean your neighbor hasn't. Any one on the same power tranformer may be a source of power spikes/drops.

Collapse -
Since you have...
by Papa Echo / November 19, 2006 7:00 AM PST

a problem common to three or more different routers, look for common things affecting the router: ?a steady power supply ? ?location where the router is placed-heat perhaps ? ? configuration of the router - disconnect while idle, automatically connects after line drop, etc. etc. ?

Collapse -
wireless connection terminates
by strosek964 / December 5, 2007 10:08 PM PST
In reply to: Since you have...

It seems in my case my wireless internet connection terminates after I view an automobile ad on Ebay which consists of many pictures. Could the size of the pictures, and the number of graphic features require a stronger signal in order to view the page?

Just to note, I did perform all of the previous post's tasks.
I have a Netgear WGR614v3 router, I don't have the option for a "Lease Time"..

Collapse -
You may not be matthewginniem
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2007 10:15 PM PST

I see your reply is on page 2 and I can't find where you've shared your exact settings on the router.

-> Please don't bury your posts in other discussions since it will be buried and not your post.

Try it "our way" on the settings.

Bob

Collapse -
You need my exact settings?
by strosek964 / December 5, 2007 10:21 PM PST

You need my exact settings?

Collapse -
Here's what worked for me.
by Marylou431 / March 7, 2010 4:35 AM PST

Having to reset my Netgear almost daily and sometimes hourly, I called Dell tech since I bought it with my new Dell mini. Seems there were 2 issues.

One, I had the router on the floor because I thought the heat from the computer was causing it to lose the signal. The tech said the signal travels downward and thus should not be placed on the floor unless you were using the laptop on the floor. In hours of research, I never ran across this as being an issue.

Secondly, he changed the frequency to 802.11 because .7 was the most common and I was probably getting interference from other networks around me.

So, whichever the problem was, I have not dropped a signal since and both my laptops just zip along. Halelujah.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.