Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Need to delet this...

by thadd2 / March 11, 2011 6:55 AM PST

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place for my question, but my computer is an Acer single-core with Windows 7 upgrade, and I had Charter Security Suite and it got fouled-up (not sure how) after running a virus scan using a different anti-virus program, and when I uninstalled it, it didn't get completely uninstalled and is now stuck in the background it seems. Whenever I open something in downloads, pictures, or my documents, I always get this pop-up first (see below). It's very annoying and would like to find a way to remove it. When I run a scan, I can see the CSS file being scanned in system32 C: drive.

"Error loading resource for: File not found".

Thanks in advance for any help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need to delet this...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need to delet this...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tried Reinstalling Charter Security Suite?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 11, 2011 9:56 AM PST
In reply to: Need to delet this...

Try reinstalling, then uninstalling it.. It may correct the mistake it made the first time.

There's also a third party uninstaller known as Revo Uninstaller at the link below.. It can frequently uninstall programs that don't uninstall well. Download the "Free" version.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Uninstalled Charter Security Suite But...
by thadd2 / March 11, 2011 11:13 AM PST
In reply to: Need to delet this...

Hi Grif,

Thanks for the reply. I uninstalled CSS using Windows control panel at first including deleting it out of my downloads. There's no way for me to find it to uninstall it. I did however download the Revo uninstaller, but didn't find a way to locate the CSS file. I'm trying to find out where it could be. I get that little box with the previous text I mentioned when I go to empty my trash can, open a file or program, or when I delete something. I wonder if there's an association somewhere?

I do appreciate you helping me though Grif, Thanks.

Collapse -
CSS Problem solved !!!
by thadd2 / March 11, 2011 11:41 AM PST

Just thought I let you know.

I have the free version of "WinUtilities" and I have to say, I love it. It has a great feature on it called "Registry Search". I typed in the name of the file in the search box and WU searched through the whole registry and found 257 CSS items. I simply right clicked, left clicked "select all", then clicked "delete". I did a thorough check to make sure all the files were named CSS. All is good now. WinUtilities also has another great feature called "file shredder" where it wipes all the free disk space clear. I'm doing that next.

What a great Windows utility. Its worth every penny, and everyone can find it right here at CNET.

Thanks!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.