Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Need to add tags to lots of mp3 files

by Rob10 / July 12, 2009 1:06 AM PDT

I made a large playlist in iTunes for my nephew and burned a DVD for him. Problem is he doesn't have, and won't download iTunes (go figure!) and is having trouble playing quite a few of the tracks because they're not mp3s. I deleted the playlist I made for him, so I don't have any way of just re-selecting all the songs out of my music library.

I did burn 11 cds with all the songs, and can convert them to mp3s, but can't figure out how to tag them all. I'm not real motivated to sit down and listen to a clip of every song and tag them manually. I used WMP 10 to rip/convert one CDs worth and that went fine, except for the missing tags.

What can I use that will batch rip, convert, and tag 11 CDs worth of untagged iTunes songs so I can re-burn him another DVD, but with all songs in mp3 format? BTW, they came from my iTunes, which came from my CD collection.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need to add tags to lots of mp3 files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need to add tags to lots of mp3 files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Rob10 / July 25, 2009 12:33 AM PDT

Did I post a stupud question, or is this just one of those little problems with no software solution? I know we get spoiled with all the things that are out there to automate tasks and make our lives "better".

First of all, all the songs I am trying to tag are either from my CD collection, or purchased from iTunes. I'm not trying to fix stolen tracks.

I tried searching Google, gut most things seem to assume there is a tag that just needs editing. I tried using WMP 11, but every time I try right clicking to Find Album Info, it comes back with Unknown Artist/Album. Isn't there some kind of digital signature in tracks that are identifieable, like EXIF data in a photo, that a program could find? 11 CDs worth of tracks is way more manual track editing than I really have time for, and the text Play List I saved from iTunes appeares as a jumbled mess, with track names, albums, bit rate, dates, etc, all mixed up.

I guess if there is no other way but to listen to a clip of every song, I can. Uh!

Collapse -
Not many people visit this forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2009 1:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Help...Anybody??

There's a second issue but I'll not write about that.

Try the Computer Help forum next time.

Collapse -
Second issue?
by Rob10 / July 25, 2009 11:19 PM PDT

Sorry, if I'm missing something, but what's the "second issue"?

Collapse -
BE very careful what you write.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2009 6:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Second issue?

I will dismiss any flame on the following topic. It varies with country but you may never want to reveal you are giving out copies of such items.

This nugget is the second reason many will just pass up such a post.

The first reason is the best one. Very low to no traffic in this forum. Try the active Computer Help forum.

Collapse -
Copies of songs
by Rob10 / July 26, 2009 9:01 AM PDT

I was under the impression that I am allowed to burn a playlist made from CDs I've bought and paid for over the years, and that iTunes allows you to do the same with individual songs purchased (though to be honest, I haven't read their UA). People have been giving "mixes" to friends made with casette tapes for years. What am I missing?

Collapse -
Not missing a thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2009 12:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Copies of songs

Just a real touchy problem area that you should avoid. Don't write you are handing out copies to anyone. Steer clear of the controversy unless that's your goal.

And this forum is not visited by many. Try our Computer Help forum.

Collapse -
May have found a solution...
by Rob10 / July 25, 2009 11:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Help...Anybody??

After further digging, I came across a program called Jaikoz. It uses the song's digital sound signature to search a database and match up song info. So far it seems like just the ticket, but scanning 15 songs I've tried so far reminds me I need a faster computer! I'll post any more experiences for others looking for the same help...

Here is the program...

Collapse -
Re: Need to add tags to lots of mp3 files
by stang_dk / July 27, 2009 8:24 PM PDT

Winamp has a built-in auto tagger that uses a song fingerprint technique. I found this feature to be around 70 to 80% reliable. However, I since then have started using iGetMusic which will tag all recorded songs 100% reliably (in case you want to expand your collection).

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.