E-readers forum

Need the Best E Book Reader

by Kooler1 / July 3, 2011 11:36 PM PDT

I have done a lot of research of E Book Readers. I would like to hear from people who have an EReader, have used it, and is very happy with the way it works. I am looking for an excellent E Reader. I need a quality device since I have a tendency to be a little hard on things so the device needs to be top quality I need one with a good warranty. I have done a lot of research so I am not asking you to do what I think is my work. I have never used an E Reader so any info. You can give me would most likely be helpful. I would like to hear what people who have used these Readers, what they like about certain ones and what they do not like on others.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need the Best E Book Reader
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need the Best E Book Reader
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Why not the iPad 2?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2011 1:04 AM PDT

I can't find a good reason after reading your post to dismiss the gorilla in the room.

Collapse -
by Kooler1 / July 5, 2011 8:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Why not the iPad 2?

not sure what you are talking about regarding "the gorilla in the room."

Collapse -
I used one in a few minutes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2011 12:01 PM PDT
In reply to: iPad2

My learning curve does not count here. I programmed a GE 210 to present day computers with many things in between.

At the Apple Store they have then out for you to play with.

Collapse -
Yes, I am Aware
by Kooler1 / July 7, 2011 3:08 PM PDT

I am aware they have them out to play with. I have played with them but now it is time to come here and not play but get a bit more serious.

Collapse -
Tell me more about your expectations.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2011 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, I am Aware

I've run into folk that expect the iPad to be a replacement for some laptop. Such hope is dashed against the rocks of reality in about a day.

Does that help?

My comment about my learning curve is that I can't use my time to learn the product because of my background of programming from the 70s to present day. For me, things like the ipad or ipad 2 (so little difference on the surface) just work fine.

As to the contracts, wifi is free to use if you go to your home and you have wifi or those free hotspots.

3G is a pay per month, and I can't tell what deal you can strike because each country, town, time of day the deals change. The place you are getting the pad from should answer this question or you should frown and shop elsewhere.

Hope this clears this up for you.

Collapse -
yea, somne
by Kooler1 / July 10, 2011 3:02 PM PDT

doesn't wifi have a dangerous lack of security component to it? Does the wifi on the ipad2 have a way to add security to one's wifi connections when out and about? I have an old MIFI2200 3G which I could use but it would be nice to use it in my teaching position and have the internet available.

Collapse -
Your choice on wifi.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2011 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: yea, somne

Here I don't check email, bank, purchase stuff. I use it strictly for a check on the news and things like this forum.

I added the security by choosing how I use it.

Wifi at home is WPA2 which is as good as it gets so no issue there today unless you want to dig deep and there are neighbors that want to use my wifi.

Collapse -
just wondering
by Kooler1 / July 11, 2011 9:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Your choice on wifi.

you had mentioned <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> that the wifi is free. I was just asking if one does use the ipad2 at a ho spot does the iPad provide any type of security for that connection-do you know?

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">Thanks.

Collapse -
No. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2011 9:55 AM PDT
In reply to: just wondering

Open wifi is unencrypted. While it gets better if your web page is HTTPS or your email is over a VPN, that is NOT A FUNCTION of the iPad.

Again, that's a function/feature of the web site or email services.

Collapse -
If you are just reading books and nothing else...
by Pepe7 / July 5, 2011 1:51 AM PDT

I would suggest the new black and white Nook. It's a solid device that you can read easily in bright rooms with little fuss. Better than the previous version in my opinion.

Collapse -
by Kooler1 / July 5, 2011 8:14 AM PDT

not following what you are saying.

Collapse -
Re-Read my Post
by Kooler1 / July 5, 2011 8:17 AM PDT

I am asking for "personal opinions" not specific ones, not a price range, not anything that you apparently were looking or. Purely personal opinions and personal experiences. The rest, I will take into consideration when that time comes.

Collapse -
There's something wrong with...
by Pepe7 / July 6, 2011 12:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Re-Read my Post

...your 'tone' IMO, or perhaps the way you write/think/or expectations in general about how someone should help you in a public forum like this one. Understand, most folks won't go into the level of detail you are asking since most is freely available online already.

Collapse -
RE: Theres something wrong with..
by nouv0astute / July 9, 2011 6:10 PM PDT

I would definitely have to agree with you Pepe7.

Collapse -
ebook reader
by wendinase / July 19, 2011 6:14 PM PDT

I bought the pocketbook 360. it comes with a 2 year limited warranty, no coverage if you drop it in the bathtub or step on it...

Collapse -
problem with tablet PCs...
by Pepe7 / July 21, 2011 2:13 AM PDT
In reply to: ebook reader

..is that for more extensive reading it tends to strain the eyes. Even with the best LED-LCD it's the case. That's why for heavy users the black & white e-readers using e-ink technology are more ideal.
My only gripe about the pocketbook 360 is price/performance. The new Nook has much better contrast IMO and is snappier for less $. YMMV, I suppose.

Collapse -
by Kooler1 / July 23, 2011 6:31 AM PDT

Where would you recommend getting the new Nook? Have you been satisfied with the customer service? (I Have been away for awhile, so I got behind on reading the posts and my brother decided to "play me," so I apologize for any rude replies.)

Collapse -
I have the Nook Color and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2011 6:38 AM PDT
In reply to: pepe7

And can attest that the BN ebook prices are on the high side compared to, well, everyone else.

I found customer service to be OK but only in dealing with THEIR PRODUCTS and WHAT THEY SOLD ME. If I have any issue with the PC, some PDF they are as good as a dead duck at solving that.

But wait. I had enough of BN to take the leap and install Gingerbread so now I get my Kindle books, the BN app works along with everything else.

Yes I read you not asking about the Nook Color but hope this helps you see the issues.

Collapse -
Wherever it's cheapest, from a reliable seller
by Pepe7 / July 25, 2011 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: pepe7

I suggest either B&N, Best Buy, or another reliable e-tailer online. That's just for price, returns/exchanges if needed. FWIW, I've bought ebook readers using 10% off coupons @ Best Buy which do not specifically exclude ebook readers from being eligible for the discount. YMMV, it will most likely vary by store/location.
Sometimes Buy.com has refurbs that are like new for ~$100.
Customer service is another issue which will vary too much to be useful IME. My friends (for example) abhor Best Buy but I still think their stores have relatively acceptable CS. Like Bob said though, if you need post-purchase support B&N probably won't be helping you as much as some of the online forums will per se.

Collapse -
Love my Nook!
by DebbyH / July 25, 2011 2:54 AM PDT

I am thrilled with the 1st generation nook. You can get if without the 3G for $119. I've found the 3g to be a waste of money, since most of the time its out of range or just can't find 3g. It's great reading in the bright sun, and outdoors. I recently upgraded to the nook color for $249. It's fun for checking email and the internet apps while keeping your books handy, but needs more frequent charges and doesn't work well in sunlight if you plan on doing poolside reading, however the backlit display is great for reading in bed!

I hate paying for books, and both nooks will support free downloading epubs from the library websites, just make sure your library card is up to date.

Collapse -
by Pepe7 / July 25, 2011 5:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Love my Nook!

Just to clarify, you cannot download *directly* to the Nook from public library web sites over wifi. The books need to be checked out/downloaded to your PC, then "sideloaded" (e.g. copied over USB) to your Nook via ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) software.

Collapse -
For reading only, I'd suggest the Kindle or the Nook Touch
by michelleh45 / July 29, 2011 11:14 AM PDT

If all you want to do is read, I'd suggest the Amazon Kindle or the Nook Touch. The e-ink is very easy on the eyes, you can read outside, the books are reasonably priced (especially Amazon) and it's very easy to get the books on them (over Wifi or in the case of the Kindle, using the three, built-in 3G service -- works great in my area, but your results may vary).

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.