Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Computer Help

General discussion

Need Suggestions on This Black Friday Deal

by pass147 / November 20, 2007 11:07 AM PST

Compaq AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Desktop w/ 1GB, 160GB, 20 inch LCD Monitor $499.00

I am planning to buy a desktop PC but don't know how to decide. I am an occasional gamer.

Here is a list of Desktop PC Black Friday deals I found. Please make some comments ( or sound if you can Wink )

http://www.geocities.com/diazed129/Desktop.pdf

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Suggestions on This Black Friday Deal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Suggestions on This Black Friday Deal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
honestly
by ozos / November 20, 2007 11:27 AM PST

thats about what I'd expect to pay for that kind of system, it isn't enough to drop my jaw to the floor, basically, they aren't listing any information aside from Athlon64 x2, so it'd be nice to know which A64, if its the 3600 or 3800 (likely) its not really worth it, 1GB of RAM is lacking for modern systems, basically its buy a monitor and get a free computer, or part of a free computer, it isn't a great deal, its just a normal deal, sorry to say, none of those look all that impressive imo, the Pentium D 925 for $299 after $250 MIR looks decent, if it can be upgraded at all, but I doubt thats the case

Collapse -
Ozos..what do you think of the new AMD Chip?
by Falcon978 / November 22, 2007 3:05 PM PST
In reply to: honestly

I am curious about what you think of the new AMD Phenom chip? Do you think the marketing strat of AMD will work?

I mean AMD is working the mid-range market, and with the fact that AMD has a motherboard and GPU from ATI in a system which is all in one could make people switch to them. I KNOW Intel performance for any Dual Core or Quad Core is much better...but..:P

The system has the potential of not needing to be upgraded next year when any faster Phenom chips are released? In addition, Intel has already said their new 45NM QX9650 chip will require a new motherboard..etc etc...

I respect your thoughts on this. I will be buying a new system this Holiday, and would like to honestly know what you think.

Thanks and have a great holiday!

Jeff

Collapse -
phenoms are disappointing
by ramarc / November 23, 2007 12:10 AM PST

they're still slower than core2 at the same clock speed and they top out at much lower speeds. phenoms probably won't hit 3ghz until they do a respin next spring. so i don't recommend getting a phenom pc unless its significantly cheaper than a comparable core2 pc.

btw, the new core2 (penryn) 45nm chips will run on any mobo based on the intel g33,q35,p35,and x38 chipsets and recent revisions of the nforce 600.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.