TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Need Speaker Placement Advice

by midela / March 20, 2012 9:03 AM PDT

Hi out there!
I've just purchased an older set of Energy Bookshelf speakers,with a center channel speaker as well, and a set of Mission 762i floor speakers, to replace my aging monsters- a set of Philips speakers and a set of Hitachi speakers.
I needed more space, and the big ones were just too much in the way. They still sound fantastic, but they are getting in the way of my new decor ideas.

The specs on the Energy's:
"Energy Excel Audiophile Loudspeaker System"
Bookshelf Speakers ( no Model Number)
25-80 Watts
Impedance 8 ohms
Frequency Response 58 Hz-20KHz +-3dB
Made in Canada

Energy Center Channel
Full Range Dialog Speaker
Impedance 12Ohms
Frequency Response 60Hz-20KHz +-3dB
Sensitivity 90dB spl at 1 metre/2.83v
15-110 Watts RMS/CHNL
Made in Canada

I have no idea what ANY of that means, but was told by a few "audiophile" Friends, that these were really good speakers. I could not find very much info. online.

Specs on the Mission's:
2-way reflex
25-125 W/Ch
8 Ohms
Made in England

Again, in addition to my own research, & I found lots of great stuff about these Mission 762i's, I was told they are great! Especially, considering that I paid only $80 CDN., for all!
My question is, do I put the larger Missions (19" Tall) at the front on either side of my Sony Bravia XBR 1, and the Energy's behind/beside the sofa, and the center under the TV?
Or, just where do I place these speakers, for the best possible sound?

Thanks All!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Speaker Placement Advice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Speaker Placement Advice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
There's a plethora of info available online
by Pepe7 / March 21, 2012 12:21 AM PDT

Truth be told, you haven't told us enough info about the room and what your intentions are for the system.

I suggest starting at an entry level point such as Crutchfield, where you can learn the ropes and then come back here for more specifics. Link:

Collapse -
Speaker Placement / Quality Advice
by midela / March 21, 2012 2:17 AM PDT

Hi! Thanks for the link to Crutchfield!

The room is essentially one big room, at one end is the "living room" space, where the TV and Stereo are located, and it's carpeted with a large area rug. the rest of the room, in a linear design, is the dining room, and then the kitchen. The TV is the defining object, in designating the living room, between the dining room. Hope that makes sense!
My next major question, after placement, would be:
Are these great speakers?
Everything I've read and been told, on the Missions, suggests that I got a good deal, but I want to be sure.
I can't find much at all, on the smaller bookshelf-size Energy's, so would appreciate some advice there.

Anything that anyone add, for advice on this, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Collapse -
So it's a surround sound system(?)
by Pepe7 / March 21, 2012 2:22 AM PDT

Just want to get as specific as possible about what you will be doing with your system.

The speakers you have sound fine (even though you still haven't told us what you will be doing with them. Just understand, what's considered a 'good deal' and 'great speakers' is about as subjective as you can get ;).

For example, are you incorporating these speakers into a typical HT/surround system? If so, do you already have a HT receiver & subwoofer lined up too? Questions, questions... Wink

Collapse -
Intended System Use
by midela / March 21, 2012 4:47 AM PDT

Hi!
Thanks for your reply! I'm so sorry. It's difficult for anyone to help me, if they, as you say, do not have the complete info.!
We'll be listening to music, mainly Jazz and Blues, sometimes Rock, and also using the speaker system to watch movies, Hockey, and Drag Racing, and concerts on TV. I know, not typical TV, but we used to be Racers in a former Life, and I also used to be a Hockey Mom, and we have several Friends whose Sons are still up "in the show". Not your typical Grandma!
I do NOT have a subwoofer. As my Home dates from 1893, even with insulation upgrades, etc..., we have found that one of my Tenants' subwoofer was being carried throughout the House, so he now has it set at really low volume most of the time, and sometimes turns it right off
. Hence, my reluctance to purchase a sub and annoy our Tenants!
I have a Harman Kardon AVR-310 receiver, which is fully capable of anything I could possibly want to do, except make my coffee! It's the most complex AVR, that I've ever seen, with 2 remotes (!!), however it was another great deal, from a high-end Stereo Shop, that was changing their product line-up.
At present, I have the two sets of larger speakers, the Philips and the Hitachi, hooked up to it, and I have a gorgeous sound, whether I'm playing the stereo (music, i.e. NPR) or watching TV. They capture every nuance of sound, and I hate to let them go. they're just so big, and I'm trying to reduce the size of things.
I have the Hitachi's set at the back,on either side of the sofa, sitting on end tables, angled slightly towards the TV, and the Philips set at the front, on either side of the TV, facing the sofa.

By the way, I should also mention that I use "MonsterCable" High-Resolution Precision "Time Correct" speaker cable with magnetic flux tube and LPE dialectric, what ever all of that means!
When I bought my TV, I wanted the best cable I could find. It is super thick, with a lot of tightly wound copper strands. My Partner isn't good at this kind of thing, and he just wants really good sound.
I guess I was blessed with the "tech" mind, to a degree, and I find it really interesting too, so I do all of this sort of thing. I still feel like a "Newbie" with some though, so I'm really Grateful for any help and advice that you can give me!

Soooo? PLEASE let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Collapse -
Got it
by Pepe7 / March 21, 2012 5:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Intended System Use

Try placing theEnergy center just above the TV if the top portion of the TV screen is about eye level while sitting on the chair straight out from it. If the TVs higher, then place the center just below, pointed at the same listener.

You can utilize the crutchfield rough guide to get a sense of what might work for your space for R/L front & rears. I like to start with the rears placed right and left of the couch, etc. You really could try either the Energys or the Missions as rears. You might like one better than the other for R/L fronts. YMMV.

Collapse -
Thank You!
by midela / March 21, 2012 9:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Got it

Hi!

Thank you so much! I'll try each set, and feel them out, in the positions.

In the meantime, so, are these decent speakers?
When I heard them, the guy just had skinny speaker wire.
I, as you can see by my description in my previous post, have these super-thick, expensive speaker cables.
So, first of all, that should make a difference in the sound, right?
Second of all, given the numbers for power and response, etc..., objectively, sre these good speakers?
Apart from the deal that I got, I mean.

This info is important to me!

Again, Thanks for the prompt response, and I'll see how it goes for sound.

Collapse -
Truth be told
by Pepe7 / March 22, 2012 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank You!

Monster cables are not necessarily going to give you better sound per se. (This topic has been beaten to death and then some, so I won't revisit the gory details.) FWIW, I've used some very generic speaker wire from Home Depot that sufficed in a pinch. Similarly, speakers with higher specs might not sound the best either, again, as I've mentioned the subjectivity factor. Repeating what I said earlier, what's considered 'decent' will vary widely. Although one should not negate the importance of having good speakers. Where the electrical energy becomes mechanical energy (e.g. the speakers) is often left out of the equation when setting up a new system ;).

Some basic info on speaker wiring:

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/home-theater-wiring.html

Collapse -
Thanks For Your Advice!
by midela / March 22, 2012 2:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Truth be told

Hi,

Thanks for your advice. We really appreciate all of your help!

So many times, people like us, buy into so much hype, and it's easy for the salespeople to exaggerate things, based on your fears of things going wrong.

Armed with this knowledge, we will now feel far more confident, and seek out common-sense opinions, like the help you've given us.
Thanks so much !

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.